REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Scammer at Gas Stations around Vancouver (https://www.revscene.net/forums/666437-scammer-gas-stations-around-vancouver.html)

chin3se604 04-13-2012 05:35 PM

Scammer at Gas Stations around Vancouver

Two days ago at the Renfrew and Grandview Hwy Chevron, I was approached by a tall male wearing black overalls, claiming he and his girlfriend had no money on them to buy gas for their ride back to Coquitlam. There was a girl in his car. He then told me he will pay me back because he works in Vancouver, and gave me his cell number ( I still have it which works )

I saw him again today at the 57th and Knight Petro Canada, wearing the exact same clothes telling the same story to people. I hurried and told the attendant, but he couldn't do anything. This time I managed to get his license plate number, unfortunately because i was trying to remember the number, I didn't get his car make and type.

Is there a way to report this, or is my information sufficient enough to report?
If anyone has anymore info or wants to collaborate our info, let me know

Wanted to warn everyone

Thanks

Iceman-19 04-13-2012 05:42 PM

If people are gullible enough to fall for it, it's their own fault.

mmmk 04-13-2012 05:47 PM

Definitely call the police non emergency line to let them know this scam is happening.
A license plate number should be all the info you need need, along with a description of the male + female acomplice

NSX 04-13-2012 05:50 PM

So did you give him money?

murd0c 04-13-2012 05:57 PM

people have been doing these for years, how are you even surprised?

Presto 04-13-2012 05:58 PM

Should troll them next time.

Grim 04-13-2012 06:17 PM

OP, you're too kind...
i usually tell those kinda people to "fuck off" in a mannered, and trolling way.

BossFrancis 04-13-2012 06:47 PM

I don't know how the hell you ended up giving him money. Ur supposed to be Chinese right? :troll:

bing 04-13-2012 07:42 PM

This is one of the oldest scams around.

I heard of a local pastor in my city that was approached with this kind of sob story years ago of a guy saying he had no gas. Being the righteous guy he was he offered to put gas into his tank and when he did, it only took $5 to fill so it was obviously bullshit. The moral of the story is, if you really want to help out and person seems legit, make sure you're the one putting in the gas. Don't hand over any cash.

1exotic 04-13-2012 07:46 PM

Amazing thread would definetley read it again.

So you see the guy that just scammed you and you go inside to tell the attendant?

Should have walked up to his car and get a picture of his license plate and smile at him. That's the least. Next thing would be going ham on him.

mb_ 04-13-2012 07:57 PM

Was the car a silver Kia? If so, ran into them at Petro on Burrard/west 2nd

pinn3r 04-13-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bing (Post 7885640)
This is one of the oldest scams around.

I heard of a local pastor in my city that was approached with this kind of sob story years ago of a guy saying he had no gas. Being the righteous guy he was he offered to put gas into his tank and when he did, it only took $5 to fill so it was obviously bullshit. The moral of the story is, if you really want to help out and person seems legit, make sure you're the one putting in the gas. Don't hand over any cash.

str8
same moral applies to homeless people. If you really want to help a starving hobo, offer to buy him food. Don't hand over any money that could be potentially used for drugs or whatever it is

Bahhbeehhaaaa 04-13-2012 08:48 PM

there was this one time a lady that approached me and asked for $20.00 gas and i gave it to her. A few days later she dropped by my work place and gave me a $100.00 cheque. Never expected she will be so generous. lol

jnesss 04-13-2012 08:49 PM

i was having a smk infront of my house one time. this guy in a rice rocket pulled up and asked me something. i went out to see what he wanted and he asked if i knew where his buddy lived.. :seriously:

i said no, i told him to call his buddy. he didn't have a cell phone. he was also running low on gas.. asked me for gas money. :fuckthatshit:

chin3se604 04-13-2012 09:08 PM

before everyone jumps to conclusion

i didn't give any money
I'm mad that this turd is going gas station hopping, asking for money
I don't want good people getting fooled

Matlock 04-13-2012 09:40 PM

I usually offer those people a ride in the back of my trunk. I drive a hatch back so I usually have to cut off the legs first.

Always good to carry a couple of tarps wherever you go.

flagella 04-13-2012 10:19 PM

Tell him you'd give a ride to his gf.

jjson 04-13-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb_ (Post 7885669)
Was the car a silver Kia? If so, ran into them at Petro on Burrard/west 2nd

Yup. Also spotted this guy on Hastings and Kensington (North Burnaby) Shell gas station a few weeks back.

Verdasco 04-14-2012 11:04 AM

OP got his number, probably paid for his gas :lawl:

Ludepower 04-14-2012 11:12 AM

We should have a Scammer Thread 2012...bet you it'll do very well :troll:

lgman 04-14-2012 01:42 PM

scrubby lookin' White guy kinda scrawny?? saw him @ Boundary & Dominion Chevron too.
He asked me to give him a lift to pay off his tow truck guy.

Prolowtone 04-14-2012 03:40 PM

Tim Hortons on Fraser HWY and 88th here in surrey the other night.. tall, scrawny unshaven white guy with a green cap approached everyone with the same story. my friend pulled out a handful of change gave him a toonie and told him to go buy a fuckin coffee.

His approach- "Hey guys i feel like an idiot, I forgot my wallet (Forget where he said). I dont have enough gas for me and my girlfriend to get back to Chilliwack so i am going around degrading myself asking people for some gas money".

achiam 04-14-2012 03:47 PM

You should have asked his gf for a blowjob in return for gas.

mb_ 04-14-2012 08:07 PM

^The gf is :heckno:

Graeme S 04-14-2012 09:25 PM

Once had a similar sort of thing happen to me...though it was a lot more sketchy.

Guy drives up to a bus stop (!) with his wife(?) in the passenger seat, gets out and starts asking people for money saying that he hasn't got enough money to get back to the Wack.

She stayed quiet and didn't really look at anyone; he didn't get any money from anyone at the stop. Thinking back, I should have asked the wife if they really needed help. Not like I would have, I was cashless at the time. Still would've been priceless if she'd said he was lying.