REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 2,116 Times in 382 Posts
Forks Over Knives

If you have the time, give this a watch.. it may change your perspective on things.

The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods

Here's the link to the full vid:

DediTv

Just get through a bunch of the stupid ads and you're good.

NOTE: I am not a vegan, but after watching this, I'm definitely going to reduce my meat intake.
Advertisement

Last edited by StaxBundlez; 04-16-2012 at 08:59 PM.
StaxBundlez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

sweet, more meat for me!
Full`Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

if only it was cheaper and easier to lose weight
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
waiting for SP to rage or troll
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
resident Oil Guru

Here's some real science that is worth 1hr of your time. (not discounting the documentary or anything, this is just a side note)

This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts

If we were never intended to eat meat, then why are our teeth designed the way they are? There's no way in hell I'm giving up meat. lol

Regardless, it's your own damn fault if you eat shitty food. We all know what's healthy and what's not; we simply choose to mow down on that super sugary, extra cheese, excessively large meal because we like the taste of it, not because the shiny ads on TV told us to.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #7

the video is both clinical and scientifically based; also takes the time to hear from both sides. take the time to watch it through.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post

If we were never intended to eat meat, then why are our teeth designed the way they are? There's no way in hell I'm giving up meat. lol

Regardless, it's your own damn fault if you eat shitty food. We all know what's healthy and what's not; we simply choose to mow down on that super sugary, extra cheese, excessively large meal because we like the taste of it, not because the shiny ads on TV told us to.
Nobody's asking you to give up anything.

Regardless, our teeth don't look like this:

You might find this chart interesting:

Anyway, I hope the discussions stays civil in this thread without people derailing it.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

heard from the filmmaker about this movie two years ago when he was promoting it on bill maher. had noluck at the time finding the full movie on tkrrent sites. anyone have any luck?

edit: nm pretty easy to find now lol
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #10

"He that takes medicine and neglects diet, wastes the skill of the physician. -Chinese Proverb"

Last edited by StaxBundlez; 04-16-2012 at 09:24 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
resident Oil Guru

^ Don't post links, RS gets in trouble.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #12

oops thx
Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Nobody's asking you to give up anything.

Regardless, our teeth don't look like this:

You might find this chart interesting:

Anyway, I hope the discussions stays civil in this thread without people derailing it.
I watched this when it first came out, and I was very skeptical as the large study has potential holes, but I was intrigued with the experiment they did on rats, and I do agree that corporations have shiet loads to do with us eating more meat, more food and drinking more milk. Many of my friends (all highly intelligent and high income earners) started eating way less meat and some became vegetarians.

After seeing this chart, I think I'll start reducing my meat intake as well. But meat just tastes way too good to quit 100%.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
I STILL don't get it

What a coincidence. I just saw the movie last night and thought it was great. Vancouver makes a cameo in the movie.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post
I watched this when it first came out, and I was very skeptical as the large study has potential holes, but I was intrigued with the experiment they did on rats, and I do agree that corporations have shiet loads to do with us eating more meat, more food and drinking more milk. Many of my friends (all highly intelligent and high income earners) started eating way less meat and some became vegetarians.

After seeing this chart, I think I'll start reducing my meat intake as well. But meat just tastes way too good to quit 100%.
I'm just like ur friends... I used to be a diehard meathead. I would pretty much eat meat every meal. Nowadays I cut back on intake in complement with upping my exercise. (I never used to excercise.) I maybe have meat a couple meals a week now.

These days I don't drink milk anymore and incorporate way more fruits and vegetables in my diet.

My coworker did they same (exercise and diet change, and he went from fat to the fittest guy in our office, ie. did sunrun in 49min) If you saw a pic of him a few years ago you would have thought it would be impossible.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:51 AM   #16
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
I'm going to keep eating my burgers and hotdogs.

(real home bbq stuff, not mcd's)

Though I also eat a lot of salad, and I also drink mostly water. (soft drinks every once and a while)
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #17
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I lift weights now, and eat more meat than ever to keep up my protein intake.

Mostly chicken breasts and protein shakes. I'm lactose intolerant so I use a lot of plant based protein powders, but find that the whey ISOs don't bother me either.

I'm not stoked on the new studies finding red meat to be so harmful, but at least limiting to a few portions per week is better than having to completely stay away.

Will watch this soon.

Last edited by Nightwalker; 04-17-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
When I viewed that OP trailer, first thing that came to mind, when they started naming off diseases, was that most of them were scourges of HFCS/sugar consumption.

Here's a decent critique of the film:

“Forks Over Knives”: Is the Science Legit? (A Review and Critique) « Raw Food SOS

Quote:
some of the anecdotes used to support a plant-based diet (such as Norway’s war-time cuisine and the traditional Japanese diet) actually point to marine foods being a great addition to your menu. For some reason, no one in the movie says a gosh darn thing about fish. Are they lumping fish into the same “meat” category as Oscar Mayer Weiners? Have they forgotten that fish exists in the food supply? Are they ignoring the health benefits of marine foods that nearly everyone—even the folks who swear on their momma’s grave that red meat will kill you—agrees on? What’s going on here?
Quote:
Animal foods, it seems, are synonymous with the Western diet, and meat exists only in industrialized countries. Non-Westernized populations like the Masai, traditional Inuit, Australian aborigines, and countless hunter-gatherers have conveniently vanished for the duration of this movie. It must be awesome to selectively choose reality like that!
Quote:
After a collage of soundbites about how awful and unhealthy Americans are (ya think?), the fun begins around the 13-minute mark, when we get a brief biology lesson on the C-word: cholesterol. Props to the scriptwriter for at least noting that cholesterol is a “natural and essential substance” (per some descriptions, you’d think the stuff was toxic sludge), but the narration goes downhill from there....Yikes! Did we slip and fall back into the ’80s?
Her critique is quite extensive, and I would recommend having a look at it.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Watching the first half of that 1.5 hour movie (Sorry, I could barely stay awake in lectures, let alone a lecture that's on the internet) I can see how sugars will kill you.

But meat? Cmon. Eating meat won't be as hindering to your body, if you exercise and are able to burn off the calories then your fine eating meat once a day. I eat atleast my daily serving of meat at dinner. I have since I was young, and have never had a problem.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #20
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

In before Skinnypupp makes a post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts

i think the biggest issue with that graph is that it doesn't take into account that we cook our meat/food before we eat it. we have tools to make our food smaller before we put it into our mouth. I think the biggest issue with meat right now, is the way we farm it. Too much hormones, antibiotics, and grain feed. The animals are simply not healthy when we eat it. There's nothing wrong with meat, but i think there's something wrong with the way we raise it.
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #22
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
One thing people don't discuss often is attitude...... for lack of a better word.

Just as important as diet and exercise, is your outlook on life, IMHO. Happiness, less stress, etc.

I refuse to become a miserable cunt, like some people I know with a chronic disease or whatever. I have type II diabetes. Not going to let it take over my life. My cholesterol levels are fine and my blood pressure is normal......... must be because I refuse to let life stress me out. Humor, tits, and ass......... best medicine in the world for us guys.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #23
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I was forced to go vegetarian last year due to a blood disorder. It was a very positive change for me and allowed me to get down to my proper body weight. The problem was that I was down on vitamins and minerals like iron and b12, that typically come from meat, and had to take supplements to make up for it. Over the last few months I began to bring meat back into my diet. These days I'll have some chicken, pork or fish every day. It's all organic, grain fed and bought from the source and that's made the difference. More green leafy veggies, and fewer carbs. Now I'm healthy, and strong, something I couldn't say 8 months ago.

The Canadian food guide is actually pretty spot on with what you should, and shouldn't eat.

Eating Well with Canada's Food Guide - Main Page - Health Canada

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #24
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfUCare View Post
i think the biggest issue with that graph is that it doesn't take into account that we cook our meat/food before we eat it. we have tools to make our food smaller before we put it into our mouth. I think the biggest issue with meat right now, is the way we farm it. Too much hormones, antibiotics, and grain feed. The animals are simply not healthy when we eat it. There's nothing wrong with meat, but i think there's something wrong with the way we raise it.
Very true.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #25
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I was forced to go vegetarian last year due to a blood disorder. It was a very positive change for me and allowed me to get down to my proper body weight. The problem was that I was down on vitamins and minerals like iron and b12, that typically come from meat, and had to take supplements to make up for it. Over the last few months I began to bring meat back into my diet. These days I'll have some chicken, pork or fish every day. It's all organic, grain fed and bought from the source and that's made the difference. More green leafy veggies, and fewer carbs. Now I'm healthy, and strong, something I couldn't say 8 months ago.

The Canadian food guide is actually pretty spot on with what you should, and shouldn't eat.

Eating Well with Canada's Food Guide - Main Page - Health Canada

I think the food guide recommends WAY too many servings of carbs given what the average person eats for their breads/carbohydrates.

I would suggest that in our bleached rice, white bread world that the servings should be substancially lower then 10 a day while fruit and veg should probably be 8 - 12 rather then 6 - 10.