REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
I follow a "Plant-based diet". Actually, almost exactly like what the proponents of this documentary promote.

I love it.

If you listen to the video and understand what "plant-based" means, it does not tell you to totally eliminate animals products from your diet. This is NOT a vegan diet!

5-10% of you diet can be animal (meat, dairy, fish, animal proteins, etc).

This is also not a new trend and you can see in the film that it is based on The China Study....a very well researched, detailed, and complex analysis on region diets and the correlation of death and diseases.

I do not miss meat or animal products...but I don't deny myself anything either. If I was to go out for dinner and eat sushi, I will (the only animal products I have had in the last 4 months is fish). What I will not do is go to McDonalds and eat a Big Mac...b/c in reality, nobody should.

I have never eaten so many fruits and vegetables in my life and I feel AMAZING! I am not hungry, I don't feel like I am missing anything, and it is CHEAP! Anyone who says eating like this is too expensive fails at grocery shopping.

It takes a little more planning, but it is fun and totally worth it. I bake (muffins, loafs, cookies, etc) all the time and it is easy. It is also very rewarding to know exactly what you are putting in your mouth and never having to worry about additives, preservatives, chemicals, dyes, etc.

I highly recommend it and if anyone wants some really great recipes, I'd be happy to share.

Whats for dinner tonight? Homemade "vegan" pizza! YUM!
Advertisement
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #27
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 2,116 Times in 382 Posts
I am not trying to convert anyone into a vegan here; I sure as hell am not one. The message I want everyone to take away from this is, "everyone should is responsible for their own health". If you choose to eat slabs of meet all day everyday, than by all means do it. You only live once and you should be allowed to enjoy it however you wish. If you want to hear a different perspective on things then give the video a watch and you can critique it yourself.
StaxBundlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
When I viewed that OP trailer, first thing that came to mind, when they started naming off diseases, was that most of them were scourges of HFCS/sugar consumption.

Here's a decent critique of the film:

“Forks Over Knives”: Is the Science Legit? (A Review and Critique) « Raw Food SOS

Her critique is quite extensive, and I would recommend having a look at it.

Yah this was a good read. I definitely agree with the fish part. I don't blame any of the doctors or scientist in the movie, but rather the people who edited the film.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #29
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Moderation and exercise should be the key message on any health food movie.

Sushi isn't as healthy as you guys think. Just eat normally, and if you have the extra cash then go for the fancier shit like grass fed cattle.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

i exercise regulary (though lately been slacking) and i have never eaten too poor of a diet (even at my worst, i don't eat fast food too much, i eat moderate amounts of junk food, don't even like sugary snacks, never put sugar in my coffee and don't drink pop or juice). recently i've been eating a lot more veggies and fruits and whole grains, but on top of that, have also greatly increased my protein intake.

i love veggies and after watching this movie, totally buy into it. i don't see myself going extreme but i definitely see myself reducing my meat drastically over time. i dont even like milk so that's not an issue either.

i totally see that it would be a lot cheaper - i buy a fridge full of veggies and fruits for $5 total at my local farm market, whereas that wouldn't even buy me a steak. My problem i guess is finding recipes to try, cheap and easy ideas, and ways to maintain protein and other nutrient ratios without compromising flavour and enjoyment (i am not the type of person that can eat the same bland thing everyday because it will burn more fat or give more muscle).

It's so easy to bake a piece of chicken or grill a piece of beef; filling up on veggies, a few whole carbs and a bit of meat sounds a lot harder without compromising taste. Something like pho is a good example of how you can do so, but with all the sodium and other things in there, we're now talking a whole different set of diseases. so anyone have any recipes or tips?
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

It's really interesting that ever since I moved out on my own I have had a much lower reliance on meat than ever before. Aside from one odd hamburger a month I haven't touched beef in 8 months, I eat chicken sparingly. My main proteins come from seafood which isn't the cheapest, especially on a students budget but if you shop around you can find great deals for frozen sustainable wild seafood, as well as eggs.

Plus you can get protein from many other sources such as cottage cheese or quinoa.

I used to have a lot of stomach problems before, but since moving to a simpler diet, much less fat, less meat, more veggies/salads, brown rice, etc my stomach issues have pretty much vanished. I also cut out milk and moved to almond milk instead which helped out as well I think. Just make sure to take your vitamins!
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #32
Banned By Establishment

I will admit that at the beginning, it did take more time to prepare meals but as I got going, it became normal and easy.

There are a lot of good websites that have 1000s of meal options. I tend to chose those that do not require buying weird random vegan items and I substitute where possible. The easiest meal I make when I am tired or don't feel like cooking is a portobello mushroom buger with baked yam fries or salad. Takes all of 10 or so mins to make, is filling, and very delicious. Also, a lot of the food I make for dinner makes really great left overs.

I have also started planning a weeks worth of dinner so I only need to go shopping once, and there is no need to make decisions. For the most part, cooking this way is easier than a typical N.A. diet....it becomes habit.

Breakfast is pretty straight forward....either I have a smoothie (1.5 cups of frozen-no sugar added fruit, 1 cup of almond milk, and 2-3 tablespoons of fermented soy protein powder), muffins that I have made, black rice pudding with coconut milk, fruit and oatmeal with almond milk, etc. What ever is quick and easy as I HATE making breakfast.

Lunch is usually a sandwich (100% whole wheat sprouted grain bread, tomato, cucumber, avocado, sprouts), or left overs, or soup.

Snack are usually fruit, veggies, muffin, natural peanut butter, etc.

Dinners a little more involved...but usually from start to eating, it takes about an hour depending on how elaborate I want to get. Some are better than others, but I will try anything once...there is a lot of trial and error, but once I made the commitment, it was easy.

I bought a few books on amazon.ca and they were really helpful...I did a lot of research to make sure I was getting what I needed and I what I should avoid.

I don't do the whole Yves product thing though...tofu dogs are okay, but replacing everything with a soy bean based substitute is really no better than just eating the damn burger. A lot of those products have a lot of preservative, additives, chemicals, and nasty shit we should not be eating. I read labels and stay away from anything I don't understand. And, like i said...I do not live in a world of denying myself everything...if i want a cup of ice-cream...I will have one...just not every day, or week, etc.

Here are pics of SOME of my dinners:
http://ow.ly/alXmq

It has been really fun trying all these new recipes and the boyfriend is FINALLY getting use to it....most of the time I will make him some chicken on the side to add in or a steak, etc.

Last edited by dinosaur; 04-17-2012 at 11:15 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #33
I STILL don't get it

^pics didn't load
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #34
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
^pics didn't load
fixed
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
It has been really fun trying all these new recipes and the boyfriend is FINALLY getting use to it....most of the time I will make him some chicken on the side to add in or a steak, etc.
Finally, yes....still not digging the looks of those "cabbage rolls" or "purple looking poop in barely steamed cabbage leaves"
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #36
Banned By Establishment

Old 04-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #37

^ recommend any good site for recipes?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #38
Banned By Establishment

Here are some recipe sites I use a lot:

Recipes | Vegan Cooking - Recipes & Resources

Recipes (this was the one I started on. It is great for idiots like me who do not know the first thing about cooking....each recipe has a step by step video)

VegWeb.com - Vegan Recipes and Cooking Tips (1000s of recipes compiled from all over the internet and individual submissions)

recipes | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking (not a huge selection, but some tasty recipes)

plantbasedhealth.com

Fatfree Vegan Recipes (poorly designed site, but loaded with recipes)
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #39
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
But...bacon.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #40
I am Hook'd on RS

It's true, I never thought a "half really healthy" + "half sort of healthy" diet
would catch up with me ..but it did ..so watch out!

All it takes is a moderate amount of stress combined with some bad food (not much),
to make you get pretty darn sick ..and the older you get, the longer it takes to recover.
mbrodie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: