REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   "Caucasian Advantage" when reaching candidates. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/666655-caucasian-advantage-when-reaching-candidates.html)

El Bastardo 04-17-2012 02:48 PM

"Caucasian Advantage" when reaching candidates.

http://i.imgur.com/HXmD1.jpg

Quote:

A day after an Edmonton-based Wildrose candidate came under fire for controversial religious views, a Calgary-based candidate with the party found himself in the headlines for on-air comments suggesting his chances of victory in Monday's Alberta election were better than his non-white rivals.

"I think as a Caucasian I have an advantage," Ron Leech told a radio station on the weekend. "When different community leaders such as a Sikh leader or a Muslim leader speak, they really speak to their own people in many ways. As a Caucasian, I believe that I can speak to all the community."

Asked about Leech's radio comment, Wildrose leader Danielle Smith refused to condemn the remarks.

The incident comes a short time after Edmonton-South West Wildrose nominee Allan Hunsperger, another pastor, came under fire for a blog posting made last year that decried "godless" and "wicked" public education, and questioned the Edmonton public school board's policy of welcoming and accepting gay students.

"You will suffer the rest of eternity in the lake of fire, hell, a place of eternal suffering," Hunsperger wrote, suggesting gays and lesbians have chosen a sexual orientation for which they will suffer in the afterlife. The blog was removed Sunday afternoon.

Smith also refused to condemn Hunsperger, calling the controversy a product of fearmongering and saying her party will not discriminate against anyone's religious views.

Leech said he would not have posted the things Hunsperger did.

Asked whether it was fair that Wildrose candidates were facing questions about their religious beliefs, he replied: "I think our party is clear on our social positions. I, as an individual, have my personal convictions and beliefs, but I am not trying to impose those beliefs as anyone. I have a great love for all humanity."
Alberta Election 2012: Being Caucasian an edge, Wildrose candidate says

This poses an interesting question for those of us in the lower mainland.

We live in ethnically diverse ridings, and belong to different ethnic groups.

Do you feel that your MP or MLA speaks to "you" as a voter if they aren't the same ethnic group as you? Before you accuse me of being a racist for asking or bringing this up, take a look at this list:

Alphabetical List | Members | Legislative Assembly of British Columbia
Members of Parliament

Not a single MLA from Surrey is Asian and not a single MLA from Richmond is Indo-Canadian. We all know the demographics for these regions yet they're represented by Caucasians as well as their most populous minority. The same seems to go for the list of MPs as well.

Surrey, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Richmond, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obviously this won't be an exact science for all regions but it is a good jumping off point for discussion. Your thoughts?

xeryusx 04-17-2012 02:52 PM

Really, who cares about another politician..

yray 04-17-2012 02:55 PM

it's :lawl:berta, many things cannot be explained there

mbrodie 04-17-2012 03:01 PM

So Sikhs and Muslims only listen to Caucasians? LOL

Matlock 04-17-2012 03:01 PM

In the words of my grandfather, "They're all crooks."

MindBomber 04-17-2012 03:02 PM

Cliffs: Alberta.

tiger_handheld 04-17-2012 03:10 PM

Federal/Provincial/Municipal politics in Canada is a joke.

Manic! 04-17-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7890303)
Federal/Provincial/Municipal politics in Canada is a joke.

compared too?

El Bastardo 04-17-2012 03:52 PM

"Because Alberta" isn't an excuse. I've demonstrated the statistics at work here in British Columbia. Thoughts?

Gridlock 04-17-2012 04:04 PM

I don't think he should be condemned. It's 'mostly' true.

The part that is wrong is him saying as a white guy, he can represent all communities. That in itself isn't a problem, but when he adds, "where sikhs and asians look after their own".

I don't think there is a difference. A good MLA will listen to the needs of everyone in their community(well, thats the idea anyway) and act accordingly. A bad MLA will be a self-serving bastard-and I hates to be tellin' ya...there is no racial ownership on being a self-serving bastard as we have all seen, time and time again.

And here is what is more important...I tend to find that the typical old white guy politician will be more likely to impart their own interests in politics, especially the right side of the spectrum in terms of christian inspired politics. I'd much rather have an asian/sikh/black whatever MLA than a crusty old white guy that walks with his own version of Jesus and weilds it like a weapon against those that oppose.

Great68 04-17-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7890387)
I'd much rather have an asian/sikh/black whatever MLA than a crusty old white guy that walks with his own version of Jesus and weilds it like a weapon against those that oppose.

QFT.

As someone who was raised Catholic, but wanting nothing to do with Religion in my adult years I have a greater fear of wack job evangelical christian white folk than other ethnic/religious groups.

El Bastardo 04-17-2012 04:33 PM

But what if hes representing your interests without being guided by his religion? Condemning someone because of their involvement or position in the church shouldn't disqualify them from receiving your vote

Great68 04-17-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 7890425)
But what if hes representing your interests without being guided by his religion? Condemning someone because of their involvement or position in the church shouldn't disqualify them from receiving your vote

I agree.

But the unfortunate reality is that religion usually plays a large part in a candidate's political stance (Usually contrary to my own opinions).

lowside67 04-17-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrodie (Post 7890294)
So Sikhs and Muslims only listen to Caucasians? LOL

Reading comprehension > you

He is saying: only Sikhs would listen to a Sikh, only Muslims would listen to a Muslim, but everybody would listen to a Caucasian.

Mark

StylinRed 04-17-2012 06:17 PM

its alberta its our version of the american south

tiger_handheld 04-17-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7890333)
compared too?

Rest of the G8 countries.

I'm not much into politics so my opinion is based on what I hear on the news (Robo calls / multiple elections in short span of times / MP boxing / Drinking Driving / Policy Reversals as result of sneaky introductions. Just a few issues that are probably global news articles ..

Manic! 04-17-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7890531)
Rest of the G8 countries.

I'm not much into politics so my opinion is based on what I hear on the news (Robo calls / multiple elections in short span of times / MP boxing / Drinking Driving / Policy Reversals as result of sneaky introductions. Just a few issues that are probably global news articles ..

Seen what happens in the US. What about what happened in Italy with Silvio Berlusconi. We also have had a political prostitution scandal in France. Also lets not forget about Russia and all the crap there .

smarv 04-17-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

"I think as a Caucasian I have an advantage, When different community leaders such as a Sikh leader or a Muslim leader speak, they really speak to their own people in many ways. As a Caucasian, I believe that I can speak to all the community.”
Does he not realize that he's comparing his race (caucasian) to religious beliefs (muslim/sikh) a religion is not a race, for all we know he could be a muslim or sikh. if you think about it, it doesn't make sense. it would make more sense if he said non-caucasians follow their own, but as a caucasian everyone will follow me, but that would probably upset a few people. I do think he is right in a way that most people would follow or vote for their own, but the way he said it will offend some people.

Gridlock 04-17-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 7890425)

I agree with 68...but let's cut it down here...there is "I'm religious" and there is "you will be too" and they are two separate groups with a little venn style intersection in the middle.

I have no problem with the former and every problem with the latter.

There is a difference between religious afiliation coming up, and it being central to the platform. The first guy could...could get my vote if he talked with some sense and everything else worked, but the guy that is full on, down with Jesus and got the t-shirt is not.

Manic! 04-18-2012 07:27 PM

This guys Caucasian and a Sikh.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DSfvFwDKKC...a+McDonald.jpg

Ronin 04-18-2012 09:20 PM

I have zero interest in any political issues dealing with religion, family values, etc. I just want the government to make sure my taxes get to the right services, not tell me or anyone else how to live their life. Don't care what sort of person they are as long as they represent the party that's financially responsible and best for economic growth.

They could sacrifice goats to the devil and I'd still vote for them if they kept the budget balanced.