REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
"Caucasian Advantage" when reaching candidates.

Quote:
A day after an Edmonton-based Wildrose candidate came under fire for controversial religious views, a Calgary-based candidate with the party found himself in the headlines for on-air comments suggesting his chances of victory in Monday's Alberta election were better than his non-white rivals.

"I think as a Caucasian I have an advantage," Ron Leech told a radio station on the weekend. "When different community leaders such as a Sikh leader or a Muslim leader speak, they really speak to their own people in many ways. As a Caucasian, I believe that I can speak to all the community."

Asked about Leech's radio comment, Wildrose leader Danielle Smith refused to condemn the remarks.

The incident comes a short time after Edmonton-South West Wildrose nominee Allan Hunsperger, another pastor, came under fire for a blog posting made last year that decried "godless" and "wicked" public education, and questioned the Edmonton public school board's policy of welcoming and accepting gay students.

"You will suffer the rest of eternity in the lake of fire, hell, a place of eternal suffering," Hunsperger wrote, suggesting gays and lesbians have chosen a sexual orientation for which they will suffer in the afterlife. The blog was removed Sunday afternoon.

Smith also refused to condemn Hunsperger, calling the controversy a product of fearmongering and saying her party will not discriminate against anyone's religious views.

Leech said he would not have posted the things Hunsperger did.

Asked whether it was fair that Wildrose candidates were facing questions about their religious beliefs, he replied: "I think our party is clear on our social positions. I, as an individual, have my personal convictions and beliefs, but I am not trying to impose those beliefs as anyone. I have a great love for all humanity."
Alberta Election 2012: Being Caucasian an edge, Wildrose candidate says

This poses an interesting question for those of us in the lower mainland.

We live in ethnically diverse ridings, and belong to different ethnic groups.

Do you feel that your MP or MLA speaks to "you" as a voter if they aren't the same ethnic group as you? Before you accuse me of being a racist for asking or bringing this up, take a look at this list:

Alphabetical List | Members | Legislative Assembly of British Columbia
Members of Parliament

Not a single MLA from Surrey is Asian and not a single MLA from Richmond is Indo-Canadian. We all know the demographics for these regions yet they're represented by Caucasians as well as their most populous minority. The same seems to go for the list of MPs as well.

Surrey, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Richmond, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obviously this won't be an exact science for all regions but it is a good jumping off point for discussion. Your thoughts?
Advertisement
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

Really, who cares about another politician..
xeryusx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
it's berta, many things cannot be explained there
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS

So Sikhs and Muslims only listen to Caucasians? LOL
mbrodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
In the words of my grandfather, "They're all crooks."
Old 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Cliffs: Alberta.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Federal/Provincial/Municipal politics in Canada is a joke.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Federal/Provincial/Municipal politics in Canada is a joke.
compared too?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #9

"Because Alberta" isn't an excuse. I've demonstrated the statistics at work here in British Columbia. Thoughts?
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I don't think he should be condemned. It's 'mostly' true.

The part that is wrong is him saying as a white guy, he can represent all communities. That in itself isn't a problem, but when he adds, "where sikhs and asians look after their own".

I don't think there is a difference. A good MLA will listen to the needs of everyone in their community(well, thats the idea anyway) and act accordingly. A bad MLA will be a self-serving bastard-and I hates to be tellin' ya...there is no racial ownership on being a self-serving bastard as we have all seen, time and time again.

And here is what is more important...I tend to find that the typical old white guy politician will be more likely to impart their own interests in politics, especially the right side of the spectrum in terms of christian inspired politics. I'd much rather have an asian/sikh/black whatever MLA than a crusty old white guy that walks with his own version of Jesus and weilds it like a weapon against those that oppose.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I'd much rather have an asian/sikh/black whatever MLA than a crusty old white guy that walks with his own version of Jesus and weilds it like a weapon against those that oppose.
QFT.

As someone who was raised Catholic, but wanting nothing to do with Religion in my adult years I have a greater fear of wack job evangelical christian white folk than other ethnic/religious groups.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #12

But what if hes representing your interests without being guided by his religion? Condemning someone because of their involvement or position in the church shouldn't disqualify them from receiving your vote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
But what if hes representing your interests without being guided by his religion? Condemning someone because of their involvement or position in the church shouldn't disqualify them from receiving your vote
I agree.

But the unfortunate reality is that religion usually plays a large part in a candidate's political stance (Usually contrary to my own opinions).
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrodie View Post
So Sikhs and Muslims only listen to Caucasians? LOL
Reading comprehension > you

He is saying: only Sikhs would listen to a Sikh, only Muslims would listen to a Muslim, but everybody would listen to a Caucasian.

Mark
Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
its alberta its our version of the american south
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
compared too?
Rest of the G8 countries.

I'm not much into politics so my opinion is based on what I hear on the news (Robo calls / multiple elections in short span of times / MP boxing / Drinking Driving / Policy Reversals as result of sneaky introductions. Just a few issues that are probably global news articles ..

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Rest of the G8 countries.

I'm not much into politics so my opinion is based on what I hear on the news (Robo calls / multiple elections in short span of times / MP boxing / Drinking Driving / Policy Reversals as result of sneaky introductions. Just a few issues that are probably global news articles ..
Seen what happens in the US. What about what happened in Italy with Silvio Berlusconi. We also have had a political prostitution scandal in France. Also lets not forget about Russia and all the crap there .
Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #18
Princess Dewey

Quote:
"I think as a Caucasian I have an advantage, When different community leaders such as a Sikh leader or a Muslim leader speak, they really speak to their own people in many ways. As a Caucasian, I believe that I can speak to all the community.”
Does he not realize that he's comparing his race (caucasian) to religious beliefs (muslim/sikh) a religion is not a race, for all we know he could be a muslim or sikh. if you think about it, it doesn't make sense. it would make more sense if he said non-caucasians follow their own, but as a caucasian everyone will follow me, but that would probably upset a few people. I do think he is right in a way that most people would follow or vote for their own, but the way he said it will offend some people.
[05-03, 17:18] MPTness
if her age on the clock, she's too young for a cock

[12-03, 22:33] Amuro Ray
i was wearing women's clothing in my picture

[14-04, 00:16] Amuro Ray
i have hello kitty underwear

[14-04, 00:23] Amuro Ray
i find feet sexually exciting

[29-04, 00:21] Ri2
if i was a guy i'd just ejaculate on her face all up in her nose, mark yo territory like a beast

[14-05, 23:29] Ri2
i just watched japanese girls poop on each other for like 10 mins
smarv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
I agree with 68...but let's cut it down here...there is "I'm religious" and there is "you will be too" and they are two separate groups with a little venn style intersection in the middle.

I have no problem with the former and every problem with the latter.

There is a difference between religious afiliation coming up, and it being central to the platform. The first guy could...could get my vote if he talked with some sense and everything else worked, but the guy that is full on, down with Jesus and got the t-shirt is not.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #20

This guys Caucasian and a Sikh.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #21
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I have zero interest in any political issues dealing with religion, family values, etc. I just want the government to make sure my taxes get to the right services, not tell me or anyone else how to live their life. Don't care what sort of person they are as long as they represent the party that's financially responsible and best for economic growth.

They could sacrifice goats to the devil and I'd still vote for them if they kept the budget balanced.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: