REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #26
Need to Seek Professional Help

I lol'd.
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #27
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

i came to see mutant fish, and i did.
Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #28
RS controls my life!

that's some sad shit, humanity is a mess. Wrecking havoc on innocent wildlife!!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #29
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

and my friends think I am crazy reading The Zombie Survival Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #30
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
And unfortunately... Zero fucks will be given.
Before anyone else replies to this post with, "I give a fuck" Its clear obviously we all give fucks. However, everyone with the real power to fix this, the power to punish the company that caused the disaster, and the useless feeble attempt at a cleanup gives zero fucks.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Am I the only person who reads/listens to this and is sceptical of the findings? (If you can call these statements "findings")

Many other oil spills have happened in coastal regions, some of which had a far greater volume of liquid hydrocarbons spilled in a much smaller area.. and virtually no reports of animals with deformities being linked to any of the previous spills.

I'm sorry but you have to consider the origins of this report (Al-jazeera = anti-american), and that there really is no scientific evidence being presented... at least not in a way that would be considered accetpable by the scientific community.

Not enough time has passed to conduct the neccesary research to determine the extent of changes in population, affected species, types of defects, number of defects, relation of defects to species, defects to geographic location, etc.. there is a million variables to look at before you can establish that an oil spill is linked to physical (environmental or genetic) defects in aquatic life in the Gulf as a result of the BP spill.

Having said that, BP is the sole party responsible for the spill IMO, the reason for the failure was the use of seawater as drilling mud, the fact that the BOP failed is secondary.. and the use of seawater as drilling mud was a decision made by BP, not RIG.

Anyway, I just encourage people to look a little deeper than the story these people are presenting to you, it's no different than PETA showing cute baby whitecoat Seals and saying they are being slaughtered.. when in reality they are only killing the adult seals who happen to be the cattle of the sea and are devastating to fish populations.

I'm not saying million of barrels of oil could possibly be good for the aquatic life, just saying that there is no possible way that these findings could be considered anything more than preliminary and assumptious.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

^ Read the original article first, not the Gizmodo one LOL.

Gulf seafood deformities alarm scientists - Features - Al Jazeera English

Quote:
Read more about the scientists in this article, and their findings:

Dr Darryl Felder, Department of Biology, University of Louisiana, Lafayette. Runs a research lab that studies the biology of marine crustaceans. Dr Felder has been monitoring the seafloor in the vicinity of BP's blow-out Macondo oil-well both before and after the oil disaster began. He was studying samples from the seafloor in the Macondo area pre-spill via funding from the National Science Foundation, which provided him a grant to log the effects of all the drilling in the area. His funding now comes from the Gulf Research Initiative (GRI), which is funded by BP. Read his full biography here.

Dr Jim Cowan with Louisiana State University's Department of Oceanography and Coastal Sciences has been studying Gulf seafood, specifically red snapper, for more than 20 years. Funding is through the State of Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. Read his full biography here.

Dr Andrew Whitehead, LSU, his lab conducts experiments and studies on Evolutionary and Ecological Genomics. He recently published "Genomic and physiological footprint of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill on resident marsh fishes" in the National Academy of Sciences. Much of his funding also comes from the Gulf Research Initiative. Read his full biography here.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #33
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

GROSS
Duff Beer is offline   Reply With Quote