REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Arctic Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/666874-arctic-thread.html)

kunoman1 04-21-2012 08:58 PM

The Arctic Thread

Hey so this isn't really a "Vancouver off topic" persey but could apply to the Lower Mainland. Here we can talk about the Arctic. Travelling there, problems asociated with it or talk about the Russians trying to steal our land!

Here is a random solution to many problems...(:suspicious: I would make a good urban planner...)

With all the talk nowdays about Canadian sovereignty of the Arctic, I was curious..would building prisons in the North count as a local population. Because if so it would be like killing 4 birds with one stone, it would create a population in the Arctic which makes it appear occupied to other countries such as Russia (as opposed to unused), it would be utilizing a population that is with few job oppurtunites, it would move prisons and offenders away from city populations and Arctic prisons would serve as a prison wall of sorts as one would not want to escape.

Would this be considered wrong or inhumane? Is this too similar to the gulags of the Soviet Union? Would this be a reasonable thing to suggest? Would it work?

Anyway kind of a random discussion of the Arctic can take place here.

Bahhbeehhaaaa 04-21-2012 09:04 PM

Vacations and World Travel - Vancouver's Top Classifieds and Automotive Forum - REVscene.net

Manic! 04-21-2012 09:08 PM

There are a lot of problems with building prisons in the arctic:

1. All food will have to be flown in.
2. Who is going to work at the prisons?
3. Lawyers need access to there clients.

What would be awesome is if the Canadian military had some type of mobile base that could be flown or helicoptered in with everything a small number of troops needed to live for a few months in the arctic.

niu99 04-21-2012 09:11 PM

Immigrants that settle in the Arctic circle or even one of the three territories should be encouraged.

StylinRed 04-21-2012 09:13 PM

they have an arctic team/base up north

bigger concern is the USA and China wanting a piece imo -_-

canada doesnt make good use of our resources anyways they let all the foreign companies take huge slices out of it and in the end the citizens get screwed (as evidenced)

El Bastardo 04-21-2012 09:55 PM

Well, when China invades us we'll have to flee up north anyway.. we may as well have places to live waiting for us

rsx 04-21-2012 10:06 PM

There has to be a financial incentive to get up there. Building prisons will be too expensive and not financially feasible.

Hopefully once the earth warms up enough and the minerals start popping up, machines can get down there easier and extract them.

Manic! 04-21-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 7895543)
Well, when China invades us we'll have to flee up north anyway.. we may as well have places to live waiting for us

If China invades wouldn't they come from the North?

1990TSI 04-21-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7895563)
If China invades wouldn't they come from the North?

No they'll come from richmond

makes more sense that way, the're already here

Death2Theft 04-24-2012 08:23 PM

On a side note polar bears are up three fold.

$_$ 04-24-2012 09:06 PM

I wanted to plan a trip this year with my girlfriend to head up North to look for aurora's. But, you can only see it during the wintertime (because summer has 24/7 sun) we will probably end up going next year.

Death2Theft 04-24-2012 09:18 PM

If u could see it from a warm cruise ship that would be tits

drunkrussian 04-24-2012 09:52 PM

regarding prisons, i think the reason russia is able to do it is because they have a long history of people being pushed out to the arctic areas by force, to a point where now a solid population has developed there. this population is able to provide a workforce for prisons to work there. in canada, the arctic is inuit, business owners who are migrants or specialized generational residents - none of these groups has any interest in being a prison guard. because russia has the population and development up there, there are also things like transportation routes, which we don't have up here either - how costly will it be not only to run a prison, but to transport criminals to the arctic?!

i know we've fucked up our glaciers and the poles are getting more screwed by teh minute, but i still believe they're the last frontier. I think the arctic is the last place on earth left where animals are more or less left alone, and humans haven't yet completely fucked up the environment (although we're on our way). I know that antarctica, despite being a gold mine for oil, is by treaty only used for scientific purposes and is otherwise totaly left alone. i think parts of the arctic should be the same way - there's a reason the conditions aren't made for humans, because we're not meant to live up there. leave it to the penguins and polar bears.

on a side note, watched frozen planet the other day and i found it interesting that every year the norwegians have to do a treak through the north (i think greenland)? they literally have to ride from one end of the land mass to the other, just because this way norway can retain the territory as their own. it just seems so silly to me; but the land is more or less left alone so i don't really care

twitchyzero 04-24-2012 11:39 PM

they'll just form their own country and call it Australia 2.0

MindBomber 06-12-2012 02:50 PM

The Canadian Rangers.

Renxo 06-12-2012 02:56 PM

just put a T&T supermarket and a few overpriced condos in the arctic and it will be filled up pretty fast.