REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
The Arctic Thread

Hey so this isn't really a "Vancouver off topic" persey but could apply to the Lower Mainland. Here we can talk about the Arctic. Travelling there, problems asociated with it or talk about the Russians trying to steal our land!

Here is a random solution to many problems...( I would make a good urban planner...)

With all the talk nowdays about Canadian sovereignty of the Arctic, I was curious..would building prisons in the North count as a local population. Because if so it would be like killing 4 birds with one stone, it would create a population in the Arctic which makes it appear occupied to other countries such as Russia (as opposed to unused), it would be utilizing a population that is with few job oppurtunites, it would move prisons and offenders away from city populations and Arctic prisons would serve as a prison wall of sorts as one would not want to escape.

Would this be considered wrong or inhumane? Is this too similar to the gulags of the Soviet Union? Would this be a reasonable thing to suggest? Would it work?

Anyway kind of a random discussion of the Arctic can take place here.
Advertisement
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
Vacations and World Travel - Vancouver's Top Classifieds and Automotive Forum - REVscene.net
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
There are a lot of problems with building prisons in the arctic:

1. All food will have to be flown in.
2. Who is going to work at the prisons?
3. Lawyers need access to there clients.

What would be awesome is if the Canadian military had some type of mobile base that could be flown or helicoptered in with everything a small number of troops needed to live for a few months in the arctic.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Immigrants that settle in the Arctic circle or even one of the three territories should be encouraged.
niu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
they have an arctic team/base up north

bigger concern is the USA and China wanting a piece imo -_-

canada doesnt make good use of our resources anyways they let all the foreign companies take huge slices out of it and in the end the citizens get screwed (as evidenced)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Well, when China invades us we'll have to flee up north anyway.. we may as well have places to live waiting for us
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
There has to be a financial incentive to get up there. Building prisons will be too expensive and not financially feasible.

Hopefully once the earth warms up enough and the minerals start popping up, machines can get down there easier and extract them.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Well, when China invades us we'll have to flee up north anyway.. we may as well have places to live waiting for us
If China invades wouldn't they come from the North?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
straight from the fields of squamton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If China invades wouldn't they come from the North?
No they'll come from richmond

makes more sense that way, the're already here
Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

On a side note polar bears are up three fold.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

I wanted to plan a trip this year with my girlfriend to head up North to look for aurora's. But, you can only see it during the wintertime (because summer has 24/7 sun) we will probably end up going next year.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

If u could see it from a warm cruise ship that would be tits
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

regarding prisons, i think the reason russia is able to do it is because they have a long history of people being pushed out to the arctic areas by force, to a point where now a solid population has developed there. this population is able to provide a workforce for prisons to work there. in canada, the arctic is inuit, business owners who are migrants or specialized generational residents - none of these groups has any interest in being a prison guard. because russia has the population and development up there, there are also things like transportation routes, which we don't have up here either - how costly will it be not only to run a prison, but to transport criminals to the arctic?!

i know we've fucked up our glaciers and the poles are getting more screwed by teh minute, but i still believe they're the last frontier. I think the arctic is the last place on earth left where animals are more or less left alone, and humans haven't yet completely fucked up the environment (although we're on our way). I know that antarctica, despite being a gold mine for oil, is by treaty only used for scientific purposes and is otherwise totaly left alone. i think parts of the arctic should be the same way - there's a reason the conditions aren't made for humans, because we're not meant to live up there. leave it to the penguins and polar bears.

on a side note, watched frozen planet the other day and i found it interesting that every year the norwegians have to do a treak through the north (i think greenland)? they literally have to ride from one end of the land mass to the other, just because this way norway can retain the territory as their own. it just seems so silly to me; but the land is more or less left alone so i don't really care

Last edited by drunkrussian; 04-24-2012 at 10:02 PM.
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
they'll just form their own country and call it Australia 2.0
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
The Canadian Rangers.

MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
RS controls my life!

just put a T&T supermarket and a few overpriced condos in the arctic and it will be filled up pretty fast.
Renxo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: