REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Home Workouts (https://www.revscene.net/forums/666947-home-workouts.html)

BoostedBB6 04-23-2012 08:21 AM

Home Workouts

Just curious what people here do for a home workout.

I use to frequent the gym but I have moved and it is hard for me to get there as often as I like.

I would like to work out from home but have no workout equipment so I am looking for exercises to tone and build muscle but with little to no equipment.

Lets here what you got!

BrRsn 04-23-2012 09:45 AM

pull ups, dips, BW squats, pushups (close hand and hands apart)

have you looked into buying a basic bench and some free weights? Costs around the same as 1 year membership a most gyms, you'd be surprised how much you can do with basic equipment

mike313 04-23-2012 09:57 AM

Insanity workout :O

BoostedBB6 04-23-2012 10:01 AM

I have considered picking up some equipment (you can find it all the time on CL) but I have a space issue as well. We have lots of room in the house but it does not really fit in anywhere.

Im still looking at this an an option and you can do a lot with a simple set of weights but I'm hoping to find something good that I can do without any weights or equipment.

Trying to get inventive :P

rb 04-23-2012 10:29 AM

I was kinda in the same position so I bought a set of thick exercise bands from winners for $8. Yeah, its sounds pretty girly but they are apparently equal to 30lbs of resistence. You're obviously not going to get jacked from using these but its easy to squeeze in a quick workout.

sonick 04-23-2012 11:11 AM

Kettlebell. Great whole body workout, tons of different movements and exercises to target various muscle groups.

gdoh 04-23-2012 11:20 AM

push ups, squats, burpees, jumping jacks, lunges, jump squats, pull ups, abs

BrRsn 04-23-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 7897286)
I have considered picking up some equipment (you can find it all the time on CL) but I have a space issue as well. We have lots of room in the house but it does not really fit in anywhere.

Im still looking at this an an option and you can do a lot with a simple set of weights but I'm hoping to find something good that I can do without any weights or equipment.

Trying to get inventive :P

If you can't dedicate a small portion of your house to bettering yourself I question if you're serious about the gym. I live in a vancouver house, in the smallest room, and I still managed to squeeze a bench, some dumbbells, and a proper bar and weights along with all my other shit. Just do it man, no replacement for a bar and a bench

Exercises that you need to do:

Shoulders: Over head press/Clean and press/Military press, front raises, side raises (with smaller plates)
Chest: Bench press, floor press, incline bench, flies with dumbbells
legs: Squats/front squats/reverse deadlifts, lunges
back: Deadlifts, pendalay rows, kroc rows, yates rows etc.

All of the above require a bar, a bench, and a cheap power rack. Maybe a 7x5 foot space required for this

spideyv2 04-23-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 7897362)
If you can't dedicate a small portion of your house to bettering yourself I question if you're serious about the gym. I live in a vancouver house, in the smallest room, and I still managed to squeeze a bench, some dumbbells, and a proper bar and weights along with all my other shit. Just do it man, no replacement for a bar and a bench

Shoulders: Over head press/Clean and press/Military press, front raises, side raises (with smaller plates)

All of the above require a bar, a bench, and a cheap power rack. Maybe a 7x5 foot space required for this

damn bruh, you must live in a really big small room if you can fit all that lol
I'd have to take away my closet, computer, and tv if I wanted to pack all that in my room

BoostedBB6 04-23-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 7897362)

Talk to me when you have a kid :P

I have no space in the home for work out equipment (bench, weights, ect) I have been looking at a bowflex and some free weights for some time now but waiting on the right deal. Might have to stuff it in the bedroom but right now its not an option for me.
I do have a rather large backyard at my disposal and would make use of it on nice days. I seem to be looking for yard work to do these days haha.

I'm use to the gym where I have so much at my disposal so I always feel useless if I'm at home and not lifting heavy. I always want to "feel" what I'm doing and how it effects my body but I'm trying to work out of the headspace and focus on things that do work regardless of how I feel about them.

Think I will just fill up a backpack with some books and try some squats with that. Going to try some stuff out tonight and see how it goes.

BoostedBB6 04-23-2012 12:18 PM

My girl has been at me to do the Wii fit as well, saying that its a good cardio workout but when I do cardio I have to push myself hard to get my heartrate up and I feel that the Wii will not be able to do this for me.

I also have a Kinect, anyone do any workout stuff on these that would be of ANY benefit to someone looking to tone up some and drop a couple lbs?

Berzerker 04-23-2012 12:55 PM

4L milk jugs filled with water are decent enough weight to get a good pump on many exercises. I used to use them for front and side raises as well as curls and extensions. Slow reps with not as much weight will feel as decent a pump as quick heavy reps.

Berz out.

BoostedBB6 04-23-2012 01:09 PM

Never thought of that one Berz.
I was thinking I may use some buckets I have around but the milk jugs would be way better!

anonnuck 04-23-2012 01:15 PM

i highly recommend kettlebells for strength and conditioning if u dont have space for a squat rack or dont have time to go to a gym.
go pick up a 35lb kettlebell and start doing swings, snatches, squats, overhead presses, turkish get up etc etc

PJ 04-23-2012 01:22 PM

Select tech or powerblock adjustable dumbells and a chin-up bar is all you need for P90x..

The adjustable dumbells were pretty pricey, but they save a hell of a lot of space.

BoostedBB6 04-23-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ (Post 7897443)
Select tech or powerblock adjustable dumbells and a chin-up bar is all you need for P90x..

The adjustable dumbells were pretty pricey, but they save a hell of a lot of space.

Not interested in P90 stuff. More so just to stay in shape and build some more definition.
Its an investment for me so spending a bot more now on a quality piece of equipment that will fill a big variety of uses and not take up much space is good in my books.
I have been looking at the BowFlex weights but I will check out the two you mentioned.

Berzerker 04-23-2012 02:25 PM

Yea I got a set of powerblocks. They are money but they are awesome.

Berz out.

vash13 04-23-2012 02:51 PM

Sex..... That is all.

BrRsn 04-23-2012 02:53 PM

if you end up getting powerblocks just get a simple bench then with incline/flat and just do dumbell upper body workouts, should be good.

But if you can fit a bowflex you can fit a small power rack
http://www.squatcage.com/wp-content/...power_rack.jpg

The widest part will be the bar, which is 7 feet wide. Front to back, it's going to be at the most 4-5 feet.
Just saying bro! :p and with this you can do almost anything. Amazon.com has cheap deals, order to Point roberts and bring it home.

If you don't go with the power rack route, get the powerblocks and a simple cheap bench that can do flat/incline and you can do most exercises at home

Matlock 04-23-2012 03:03 PM

Heavy bag of sand. Overhead press, dead lifts, walk around the block.

Berzerker 04-23-2012 03:10 PM

I actually used Powerblock DB's and a workout ball. You can sit on it for shoulder press, Lay on it for flat bench (and it works your core) and then you just sit with the ball against the wall and angle your torso to do incline presses. :) I brought this on the road with me when I was working (on the road in hotels for 21 days in a row) and it's perfect for minimal space workouts.

Berz out.

PJ 04-23-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 7897515)
Not interested in P90 stuff. More so just to stay in shape and build some more definition.
Its an investment for me so spending a bot more now on a quality piece of equipment that will fill a big variety of uses and not take up much space is good in my books.
I have been looking at the BowFlex weights but I will check out the two you mentioned.

The Select Tech's are the BowFlex ones. Powerblocks are different, but same idea. From what I remember, I think retail for both is around $500? I got mine on Craigslist for $250ish. But you can't go wrong with either. Very handy, saves a LOT of space.

I'm not usually one for home workouts, but P90x is probably the best home workout program there is.

But regardless of the program.. with adjustable dumbells and a chinup bar, you can basically do anything. If you want to you go the extra mile, throw in a bench and/or exercise ball, and you're set.

dhari 04-25-2012 05:01 PM

I put some weights in a backpack and run up and down stairs for a good workout. also, u can squat with that and do pushups!

ShadowBun 04-25-2012 05:09 PM

when Im @ home for a long period of time... I just do stuff like p90x or insanity.

not gonna invest in a gym yet

Santofu 04-25-2012 05:12 PM

If you wanna buy cheap weight stuff...
Walmart USA sell Gold Gym equipment for decent price... I got dumbells (up to 35lb on a single or 20lb each?) for $20