REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Conservatives looking to re-open abortion debate (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667062-conservatives-looking-re-open-abortion-debate.html)

westopher 04-26-2012 10:35 AM

I can't believe how fucked up and full of shit the canadian government has become under the current conservative reign.:suspicious: I would imagine that if the abortion yes/no vote was brought to polls for people under 40 (the people that actually may have to be faced with that decision) like 10% would vote against it being legal, and 5% of those people would be insane religious fanatics that believe "the gays" (as quoted by them of course) are unnatural and evil as well.

pinn3r 04-26-2012 10:37 AM

Signed it. Shared it.

If I accidentally impregnate my girlfriend, what the hell am I supposed to do?
Fuck you Harper! :2finger:

Also, when a women becomes impregnated, it's basically a fucking clump of cells. Until it fully develops into the shape of a human, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it :swear:

Gridlock 04-26-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinn3r (Post 7900868)
Signed it. Shared it.

Also, when a women becomes impregnated, it's basically a fucking clump of cells. Until it fully develops into the shape of a human, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it :swear:

Thank you.

You proved my point.

gars 04-26-2012 01:09 PM

I'm at work and can't do too much research into this, but can someone point out what's the latest you can have an abortion? I thought if the fetus can survive outside the womb (like a premature baby), it's illegal to have an abortion? A quick google seems to contradict that, it looks like there's no restrictions on how late you can have an abortion.

I respect the woman's right to choice, but I also want to prevent things like women aborting a baby after finding out their sex, etc.

TheNewGirl 04-26-2012 01:14 PM

Currently they do not tell you the gender of the baby on a standard MSP paid ultrasound if you are prior to 20 weeks - most of the clinics will not do a non health issue related abortion beyond 3 months (the first trimester).

You CAN go to a private clinic and pay to find out the gender of the baby but this really still can't accurately be determined via ultrasound in the first trimester.

BUT while in many countries, selectively aborting babies on a gender basis is an issue, with the bulk of the Canadian population this is a non issue.

MindBomber 04-26-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Signed it. Shared it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7900969)
Thank you.

You proved my point.

Pretty sure he was just being facetious there..

miss_crayon 04-26-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7900983)
I'm at work and can't do too much research into this, but can someone point out what's the latest you can have an abortion? I thought if the fetus can survive outside the womb (like a premature baby), it's illegal to have an abortion? A quick google seems to contradict that, it looks like there's no restrictions on how late you can have an abortion.

I respect the woman's right to choice, but I also want to prevent things like women aborting a baby after finding out their sex, etc.

I thought this too. I was under the assumption that anything done after 3 months? is the latest. Not so much illegal but harder to do?

mikemhg 04-26-2012 02:51 PM

I am so happy the conservatives are going this route. Goes to show that power doesn't pass common sense. This party has become WAY too comfortable with their majority, going down this route will see them gone before the term. The sooner these assholes are out of office, the better.

Does anyone find it interesting how this American Conservative agenda has been able to permeate into Canadian politics? I find it very interesting how this Conservative agenda seems to follow the same recipe in both countries, i.e. less Corporate taxes, less government regulation, yet harder policies on crime, military, and social issues. I mean the agenda is so hypocritical it's laughable.

It's so frustrating because you know the interests that are going on behind the scenes, but we as regular people are completely left in the dark.

drunkrussian 04-26-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Signed it. Shared it.

Plan B Pill :fuckyea:

pinn3r 04-26-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7900990)
Pretty sure he was just being facetious there..

No, I'm actually serious lol

Inaii 04-26-2012 07:16 PM

16 weeks is the latest you can do one and there's only one clinic in Vancouver who will. Normally it's up to 14 weeks.

Graeme S 04-26-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 7901272)
16 weeks is the latest you can do one and there's only one clinic in Vancouver who will. Normally it's up to 14 weeks.

Legally, that's not the case here. Though many doctors will, due to personal morality, follow the general guidelines you just listed.

LiquidTurbo 04-26-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Signed it. Shared it.

But life begins at conception :troll:

blackGS? 04-26-2012 09:49 PM

I for one agree that church and government should be as far apart as possible.
Also, I am also grateful that my mom chose not to abort me... It's funny how those who are Pro-abortion have already been born.

Gridlock 04-26-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7901436)
But life begins at conception :troll:

Ok, let's take a different approach.

When does life start? When does pinn3r's "clump of cells" become a life?

Because supporting a woman's right to choose or not, terminating a child at 14-16 weeks sounds like we're ending life to me.

Graeme S 04-26-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7901449)

Because supporting a woman's right to choose or not, terminating a child at 14-16 weeks sounds like we're ending life to me.

In my mind, life becomes life when it is self-sustaining. So basically, at whichever point a preemie could survive. But again, everyone's different

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackGS? (Post 7901448)
It's funny how those who are Pro-abortion have already been born.

:fulloffuck: So have anti-abortionists.

Gridlock 04-26-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackGS? (Post 7901448)
I for one agree that church and government should be as far apart as possible.
Also, I am also grateful that my mom chose not to abort me... It's funny how those who are Pro-abortion have already been born.

Pro-choice is not pro-abortion.

I'm still pro-choice and vehemently opposed to abortion. It's basically saying I would do anything to stop it from happening, except force the government to make the choice for you.

LiquidTurbo 04-26-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

I respectfully decline to continue this dialogue.

I feel that by discussing it, we are no better than the old men who want to decide what women can do to their own bodies.

Gridlock 04-26-2012 10:09 PM

I don't know man...you start pushing into 16 weeks, that's 4 months...It may not survive on its own, but it seems pretty "alive" to me.

This is from wikipedia listed at 18 weeks.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_pregnant.png

That looks pretty life-like.

El Bastardo 04-26-2012 10:09 PM

I'll formally go on the record to say that I'm pro-abortion.

MindBomber 04-26-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Life begins when the male and female body create a sperm and egg.

Based on my crude understanding of a babies development during pregnancy, I believe a reasonable degree of sentience begins to emerge around week 20.

LiquidTurbo 04-26-2012 10:14 PM

Edit.

gars 04-26-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 7901310)
Legally, that's not the case here. Though many doctors will, due to personal morality, follow the general guidelines you just listed.

So legally, they could have an abortion at any given time??

Great68 04-26-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 7901473)
I'll formally go on the record to say that I'm pro-abortion.

Yep. I don't really care about when women can abort, so long as they can.

pinn3r 04-26-2012 11:13 PM

Holy shit, just let the women decide what they want to do; the body is theirs
As I stated before, the moment the sperm fertilizes the egg, it's just a zygote. It has no capability of anything; no thoughts, no emotions ...
Until it actually develops into a human-like fetus, I'd actually be against that
If you're an anti-abortionist, you'd better fucking adopt all those unwanted children