REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Cheap Wheel Repair

Yes, I know about Nu Brite, Panther, Green... But all I want is someone to do this for me.

Another curb rash rim repair DIY (56K beware) - AcuraZine Community

I know it's not super durable. But short of wheel mounting/balancing, etc, if I don't curb these puppies again, I really don't need to powder coat them again, do I? I know it can be as cheap as $60 a rim in Toronto. Nothing like this in Vancouver Town?
Advertisement
BiscottiGelato is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
doing things like that on the cheap are stupid

and if you have curbed rims, i don't like your 'if' statement

do it properly or don't do it at all
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #3

Thank you for your opinion. I am sorry that you do not like my 'if' statement. And yeah, I'm probably stupid. Thanks for pointing that out for me!

That said, I will appreciate it much more if someone has real long term experience on how things turned out after spot fixing rims like that. Or even better yet a cheap location that'd fix my rims up...
Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
Thank you for your opinion. I am sorry that you do not like my 'if' statement. And yeah, I'm probably stupid. Thanks for pointing that out for me!

That said, I will appreciate it much more if someone has real long term experience on how things turned out after spot fixing rims like that. Or even better yet a cheap location that'd fix my rims up...
awesome sarcasm

cheap work = shit work, just get it done at a reputable shop, or live to regret it.

you've already listed some good ones, and its not like its a lot of money ($100 or $200)
Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #5

For $200, i can just buy like-new used rims.

These are just OEMs, not some $1k per rim forged wheels. If there are some $60 bangers, i'll get them fixed up. Otherwise I'd most likely leave them as it is.

Back for more cheapo suggestions. Thx
Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
Cheapest that I've gotten quotes for is about $120 per wheel. I didn't go for it because you can get some good condition used or cheap aftermarkets for around that price.

If you want a cheap solution or just touch up some curb rash, do it yourself, it's not that hard. I'm not particularly handy but I did 2 sets following DIY instructions.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:
For $200, i can just buy like-new used rims.

These are just OEMs, not some $1k per rim forged wheels. If there are some $60 bangers, i'll get them fixed up. Otherwise I'd most likely leave them as it is.

Back for more cheapo suggestions. Thx
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SAYING?!?!

if they're "OEMs" and you don't give two shite about them, then just leave the curb damage and put your money to better things (i'd suggest an education fund)

and i love 'like-new used' a better oxymoron has never been used. something is new or used, not 'like-new' although idiots use that term when selling their used shit, and muppets lap it up "i got new shite for a used price - i'm awesome"
Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
racing & tech mod.

I've got a guy that comes by the dealer and does the wheel repair on our used inventory. He's mobile, and does really good work. His prices depend on how much work the wheel needs, but it's anywhere from $50 to $100.

The thing is, on a set of $2000 Porsche rims for a garage queen, I'm going to stick with Nu-Brite.. they do it right and it lasts..

BUT for rims I paid $400 dollars for the whole SET that's going on a track car, there's no fucking way I'm paying $125+ per wheel to refinish them. I'm either spray bombing them black myself, or I'm getting our mobile painter to do them for me. He does great work for the price and matches the original paint 99% (unless you are parked next to the same car with new OEM wheels, you can't tell ANY difference)

Let me know if you want his number, I'll get it on saturday.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
G'd up! w000weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
I've got a guy that comes by the dealer and does the wheel repair on our used inventory. He's mobile, and does really good work. His prices depend on how much work the wheel needs, but it's anywhere from $50 to $100.

The thing is, on a set of $2000 Porsche rims for a garage queen, I'm going to stick with Nu-Brite.. they do it right and it lasts..

BUT for rims I paid $400 dollars for the whole SET that's going on a track car, there's no fucking way I'm paying $125+ per wheel to refinish them. I'm either spray bombing them black myself, or I'm getting our mobile painter to do them for me. He does great work for the price and matches the original paint 99% (unless you are parked next to the same car with new OEM wheels, you can't tell ANY difference)

Let me know if you want his number, I'll get it on saturday.
Let us know if this guy can give $50-100 prices to us first

I doubt he will because the $50-100 prices are for dealers. Dealers have so much used wheels for him to work on.
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
I got 2 bent rims 'straightened' at WHEEL-FIXIT out in Surrey... $125 per wheel cash price/taxes in. i believe price would be the same for fixing curbage.

Last edited by Acura604; 04-26-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
The DIY isn't bad. I've fixed curbage on my wheels. Not too hard at all, just like the link you posted.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:

If you don't want to pay a wheel repair shop, you won't want to pay a shop $70/h to do it either. Wheel shops might charge $100-200/wheel.

These kind of mickey mouse repairs I think are meant for you to DIY. Matching the paint is a pain in the ass. Let alone, masking PROPERLY (unlike the dude in the link that got paint all over his tires). With the bumps that your wheels will take on a daily basis I doubt the bondo will hold up very long.

Personally I would probably leave it. @ $60/wheel...thats like halway to fix it properly. Do it right once, rather then fix it twice poorly.

You should post a pic of how badly rashed your wheels are.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Almost every one of 4444's posts comes across as condescending, whether it be in auto-chat or the business and financial forum. There's a way to express a contradictory opinion or give advice to someone who you feel is proceeding on an ill advised path without belittling them. Just felt the need to throw that out there.

Back on topic -

Biscotti, a few months ago Kwy asked a similar question. The quote below is my response to that thread. I have not personally used the company, so I cannot comment on quality or even confirm if they still offer the service. If you do contact them, please update the thread on whether they do though. If you make use of the service, please post the finished pictures. Lots of us have a cheap set of winter/track/craigslist wheels and wouldn't mind spending a bit for a cheap powder coating job.
Quote:
I think this would be perfect for you..

Vancouver Integras -> Cheap powder coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posted: Jan 25 2012, 12:03 PM
so one of my customers owns a powder coating shop and said he would powder coat anybodies rims for $30.00 per rim.

surrey powder coasting ltd
#3 11528 132a street
surrey bc v3r 7s2

James/manager
cell: 604-374-0627
shop: 604-957-3522

yongho@gmail.com
Surrey Powder Coating
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Almost every one of 4444's posts comes across as condescending, whether it be in auto-chat or the business and financial forum. There's a way to express a contradictory opinion or give advice to someone who you feel is proceeding on an ill advised path without belittling them. Just felt the need to throw that out there.
no, only my last one was condescending, first two were blunt - big difference. its a stupid question, which just got stupider when claims of 'they're just OEM, i can get replacement ones for next to nothing' were made

there's cheap, then there's stupid cheap, i think this is just stupid. wheels are something you just have to pay to get fix, or don't fix a bit of curb rash at all, especially if self inflicted (likely will just happen again)

i'm almost doing him a favour by saving him $50-$100 on a crap DIY job and then paying the $150 or so on a professional job. lets not forget the additional $100 isn't exactly world changing when ppl pay ICBC insurance rates & $1.4x a litre (i'm not complaining about either, just saying $100 is a drop in the bucket in relation to those two costs).
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I did something similar to what was done in the that link. I bought bondo but ended up not using it, just sanded the rash and repainted all the rims so they'd match. Paint has help up pretty well. Up close you could see the areas where I have sanded up unless it's pointed out to you, no one would see it.
Ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
no, only my last one was condescending, first two were blunt - big difference. its a stupid question, which just got stupider when claims of 'they're just OEM, i can get replacement ones for next to nothing' were made
a shit attitude like discourages people from participating on RS, thanks.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #17
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Alright this is a ridiculously old bump, but people who have DIY fixed their own curbed wheels what approach did you take and how has it held up over the years? I'll be refinishing mine soon.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
I bought a set of used rims online that had a bit of curb rash and the clear coat was peeling.. Wet sanded all the clear coat off. sanded down the curbage(all minor). I was going to repaint the clear, but I figuered to leave it bare and just polish it every year when I swap summers and winters.. Its held up great, but again I didnt paint.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #19
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Alright this is a ridiculously old bump, but people who have DIY fixed their own curbed wheels what approach did you take and how has it held up over the years? I'll be refinishing mine soon.
On my old rx-8 wheels I did a DIY curb rash repair. I spent a lot of time sanding down all 4 wheels, then I used the cheapest spot putty from Canadian tire. Spent more time sanding then finally the primer and paint. The only thing I can say is take your time. The amount of prep you do will make or break the finish. The first wheel I did, I didn't wait a few days for the primer and paint to cure (just a few hours in the garage during summer) and the paint started to bubble after applying the clear. The other 3 I let sit for a week then cleared and they turned out good as new.

TLDR: Take your time and prep the wheels properly.

Also, don't be dumb like me and forget to wash your wheels after spraying them with car dealer wheel acid.
Oshiguru is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: