REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Chinese Students at Risk in Australia (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667157-chinese-students-risk-australia.html)

Duff Beer 04-27-2012 12:41 AM

Chinese Students at Risk in Australia

China Outrage Over Sydney Train Assault

Quote:

Chinese students 'at risk in Australia'

Peter Cai
April 26, 2012 - 3:44PM

The controversy surrounding the alleged bashing of Chinese students in Sydney is showing no sign of abating as China's largest television network and consular officials warned that Australia was no longer safe for Chinese students.

Six people, aged 14 to 18, allegedly robbed passengers, including two Chinese students, on a train between Central and Rockdale about 12.30am on Monday.

Officers were called to Rockdale station about 15 minutes later, where they arrested three men, two aged 18 and one 19, a 14-year-old boy and two girls, aged 16 and 17.

They were all charged with a number of robbery and assault offences. The alleged robbery included racist taunts.

China Central Television, the state network with hundreds of millions of viewers throughout the country, has warned the rising youth crime rate in Australia posed a threat to the safety of Chinese students.

"Once upon a time, Australia had one of the lowest crime rates in the world and was considered one of the safest places to study. However, the safety of overseas students studying here is under threat from escalating youth crime," CCTV reported.

The news report also alerted viewers to the spate of shootings in Sydney this week and said some cases involved under-aged offenders.

The Chinese consulate-general in Sydney also posted a travel warning on its website and warned its citizens to avoid unnecessary travel after dark.

A Foreign Ministry spokesman said that China was very concerned about the incident and urged Australia to improve its public security.

He refused to comment on whether the Chinese government still considered Australia a safe place for Chinese students to study.

The outrage among the students community is still brewing and Fairfax Media understands that more than 3000 students have signed a petition and are considering the option of staging a rally.

A Chinese mother from Nanjiang expressed her concern over the safety of her child studying in Australia and she said she was "extremely concerned about the safety issue over there. It breaks my heart to hear about my child's fear of going home after dark."

Peak students bodies in Australia have also issued strong statements in support of their overseas peers.

"The train attack on Chinese students in Sydney over the weekend will not be a welcoming prospect for those considering to study in Australia in future and we request an inquiry into making these services safer for our valued international student cohort,” said Chamonix Terblanche, national president of the Council of Australian Postgraduate Associations.

One of the victims of the attack, known as Xuan, suffered from a fractured nose and burns from a lit cigarette.

The international student from China is seeking a master's degree at the University of Technology, Sydney.

A translation from Xuan's blog on the Chinese social media site Weibo reads: "I really wish all of this is just a nightmare. However, the smell of blood in my mouth and body pains reminds me that this city is so dangerous.

"A gang of hooligans attacked us. Our noses are fractured and our bodies are covered in blood. My friend's cheekbone was crushed. They attacked us with glass and burnt us with lit cigarettes. My face is burnt and totally disfigured! Worst of all, I really hated their racist comments.

"They were calling us Asian dogs and pussies while they were beating us. When my friend tried to wipe blood from his nose, a teenaged girl stuffed my friend's mouth with her tampon removed from her pants.”

After receiving a report of the attack, former foreign affairs minister Kevin Rudd raised the issue with various interested parties, such as the Chinese ambassador in Canberra and the Minister for Immigration Chris Bowen.

The Mandarin-speaking MP also put his language prowess to use and posted sympathetic comments on the Chinese social media site Weibo.

Peter Cai is The Age's Asian Affairs Reporter.

This story was found at: China Outrage Over Sydney Train Assault

StylinRed 04-27-2012 12:55 AM

Australians have always been vaunted as super nice but only if you're white ;) they have a horrid history of racism that still exists to this day against their own natives

not to mention the recent riots and assaults against arabs & east indians + muslims

now it sounds like their targets are east asians?

Quote:

"They were calling us Asian dogs and pussies while they were beating us. When my friend tried to wipe blood from his nose, a teenaged girl stuffed my friend's mouth with her tampon removed from her pants.”
.......... she probably thought he was japanese :troll:

edit: oh and Hi Taylor :P

BaoTurbo 04-27-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

A gang of hooligans attacked us. Our noses are fractured and our bodies are covered in blood. My friend's cheekbone was crushed. They attacked us with glass and burnt us with lit cigarettes. My face is burnt and totally disfigured! Worst of all, I really hated their racist comments.

Read more: China Outrage Over Sydney Train Assault
Wow. Just speechless. Cigarrette burning and assault :seriously:

smoothie. 04-27-2012 02:26 AM

where the hell have i seen this exact thread and post from.

DEJA VU wtf

GLOW 04-27-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 7901685)
where the hell have i seen this exact thread and post from.

DEJA VU wtf

Maybe you were expecting this type of post from nui99 or something?

Shades 04-27-2012 03:00 AM

I can't believe nobody was willing to help on the train. How can anybody be a bystander to this? I know I would. Totally unacceptable.

StylinRed 04-27-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shades (Post 7901691)
I can't believe nobody was willing to help on the train. How can anybody be a bystander to this? I know I would. Totally unacceptable.

because there were no bystanders everyone in the train car was assaulted and robbed it just so happened that 2 of the passengers were asian so this story has now been blown into an anti-asian issue for some reason

Quote:

Six people, aged 14 to 18, allegedly robbed passengers, including two Chinese students, on a train between Central and Rockdale about 12.30am on Monday.

niu99 04-27-2012 05:04 AM

Can't say I didn't see it coming.
Knowing the extravagant lifestyles of the students coming out of mainland china nowadays, its not hard for them to fall victim to robberies and thefts.

Quote:

A gang of hooligans attacked us. Our noses are fractured and our bodies are covered in blood,” wrote Xuan, according to a translation in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper.
“My friend’s cheekbone was crushed. They attacked us with glass and burnt us with lit cigarettes. My face is burnt and totally disfigured. Worst of all, I really hated their racist comments.”
Xuan claimed the group taunted them as “Asian dogs and pussies” and when his friend tried to wipe the blood from his nose “a teenaged girl stuffed my friend’s mouth with her tampon removed from her pants.”
There were many passengers and staff on the train, he added, but nobody intervened to help and another female passenger even encouraged the gang to rob Xuan and his friend saying “Rob them, they are Chinese and they have got money.”
:ahwow:

TOPEC 04-27-2012 06:36 AM

didnt aus/nz have the same problem with chinese people back in the 90s?

WakeMeUp 04-27-2012 08:51 AM

"Six people, aged 14 to 18, allegedly robbed passengers, including two Chinese students, on a train between Central and Rockdale about 12.30am on Monday."

this suggests they just happened to be robbing people and 2 of them were Chinese. The article seems to be exaggerating the Chinese thing.. mostly b/c of the government warning.

Australians have been pretty damn tolerant of immigrants considering the huge influx that they've experienced since the mid to late 70's. Not saying that the immigrants are bad people, but the presence of different races (and their inherent differences) tends to breed conflict in many ways.

Also, a greater than usual amount of British convicts were sent there in the 18th and 19th centuries, so it wouldn't surprise me to see a White population that is somewhat more prone to criminal activity than most Northern European populations.

westopher 04-27-2012 08:55 AM

LOL is this a fucking joke? OMG two chinese kids were included in the robbery, all of australia is dangerous for chinese people! I got robbed in Edmonton, it must have something against scottish lineage white people.

El Bastardo 04-27-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7901640)
Australians have always been vaunted as super nice but only if you're white ;) they have a horrid history of racism that still exists to this day against their own natives

not to mention the recent riots and assaults against arabs & east indians + muslims

now it sounds like their targets are east asians?

Goes both ways

Sydney gang rapes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TOS'd 04-27-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 7901824)
LOL is this a fucking joke? OMG two chinese kids were included in the robbery, all of australia is dangerous for chinese people! I got robbed in Edmonton, it must have something against scottish lineage white people.

Make a new thread to address the issue.

SB7 04-27-2012 09:42 AM

The offenders should be sent to China to work and repent for their crimes.

Shades 04-27-2012 10:08 AM

^
That would be an easy ride. Chinese people love white people.

too_slow 04-27-2012 10:09 AM

I just came back from a trip to Sydney. I went through all the sketchy parts of town (Hyde Park, Kings Cross, etc). I took the trains late at night, drank with buddies on the street.. I did not encounter any sorts of violence/racism what so ever. In fact, I felt more safe in Aussie clubs than say, Atlantis (wtf it's called now) with all the icyhawtstunner gangster wannabes. Also, Aussie-women are very friendly. That is all..

too_slow 04-27-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niu99 (Post 7901710)
Can't say I didn't see it coming.

:ahwow:

Why aren't you f*Cking dead yet you stupid piece of s*it

GGnoRE 04-27-2012 10:11 AM

I Have 3 close friends studying in Sydney. This is not a main concern for them or their friends. Shit is blown out of proportion.

Boostslut 04-27-2012 11:00 AM

I spent time in Melbourne and took the train home late late at night all the time and not a problem. Sure there is drunk people on the train (Australians do like to drink!), but never did i feel i was going to get robbed or anything. I'm white maybe that's why.

Also, I just don't see how two Chinese people getting robbed means the whole country isn't safe? If it happened day after day that I would understand the concern. I'm sure bad things happen to white people in China all the time.

Seems like they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Must of been a tough experience for them, hope they heal from their wounds soon. Just don't blow the whole situation out of proportion.

Teriyaki 04-27-2012 11:01 AM

Fail to see how one isolated incidence would warrant a country-wide warning. There has to be more issues behind the scenes politically.

If it was repeatedly happening, in many different parts of Australia and only to students of Asian descent then yes there is reason for concern.

StylinRed 04-27-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 7901855)

eh really? events by one gang of criminals 12 years ago is equated with years of assaults and riots en masse? (which continue to this day)

in addition to the countless acts over the decades against other minority groups

:fulloffuck:

side note one of the sources that wiki page uses is a good read about the incidents and the reaction to them http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...054759536.html

Akura 04-27-2012 12:43 PM

Racism is wrong. Anytime, anywhere. Period.

GLOW 04-27-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 7901855)

your new avatar
:tears::joy::megusta::sweetjesus:

Harvey Specter 04-27-2012 02:03 PM

It's the same problem with Indian students as well. I believe one Indian student was killed a couple years back and the Indian gov't had to step in.

The issue is always unemployment amongst the natives, when they can't find jobs and they see foreigners invade and take their jobs and make schooling more expensive you see incidents targeting these certain groups.

Manic! 04-28-2012 01:23 AM

Yep Indians have had problems in Australia too.

Violence against Indians in Australia controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia