REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
PNE Forum cancels electronic music concerts

i blame it on the dubstep/skrillex shits going on at pne lol

VANCOUVER — The Pacific National Exhibition has announced it will no longer host electronic music concerts at the PNE Forum after it received noise complaints from residents in the surrounding area.

A letter sent to residents in the Hastings Park area dated April 24 said comprehensive testing led to the decision.

Laura Ballance, who handles media relations for the PNE, confirmed the decision in a phone interview.

“The building was built in the ’30s and has been an iconic building for music in this city for many years,” Ballance said. “We haven’t traditionally had a big noise problem with most of the shows we hold there. When we started hosting the electronic shows, we started noticing complaints. We went out with our own noise monitors and saw that the type of bass that particular type of music event had was something the building wasn’t built for.”

Ballance said Vancouver-based acoustics consulting company BKL Acoustics Ltd. found the problem did not lie in the normal volume level of the concerts but in the unusual level of lower frequencies leaking out of the building.

The PNE spent $10,000 in building upgrades trying to dampen the sound, such as re-insulating old windows, to no avail.

“The renovations required to soundproof the building to the level that would have been in the acceptable range were way too much,” Ballance said. “The building isn’t built to take a huge amount of ceiling insulation because of the way it’s constructed. Short of building a new building within [the Forum], there was really nothing that could be done.”

The explosion of the electronic music genre has seen a fair number of big names play the PNE Forum in recent months, including Grammy-winning dubstep superstar Skrillex, party DJ Steve Aoki, and French electro duo Justice, the latter of which performed at the Forum Thursday night.

These concerts are usually a lot heavier on the low frequencies, particularly dubstep and its wobbly “wub-wub” bass lines, which are the foundation with which they shake the dance floor and get the crowd going.

Unless it can be relocated, the last electronic concert scheduled for the Forum will be that of house music producer Kaskade on Aug. 11.

“We would love to still have these shows,” Ballance said, pointing out losing electronic concerts would be a big loss for the PNE, but that it had to be a good neighbour. “I don’t believe the residents care what kind of music it is, they just care if it’s too loud.

“It’s a new industry, it’s a learning curve for everybody. It’s just a type of sound specifically connected to the bass in that kind of music that just doesn’t work in that building.”

fmarchand@vancouversun.com

Read more: PNE Forum cancels electronic music concerts
Advertisement

Last edited by Vansterdam; 04-27-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 10:58 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
das not it mane

Thanked 1,852 Times in 509 Posts
what happens to dooms... i think dooms was the only local event that ends at like 7 or 8
jonwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
we still got the PNE Coliseum .. i think for now

pne forum is where all the all ages EDM events are held i beleive

LGS and LBS need to stay at home haha
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

As long as the Kaskade concert isn't cancelled, though I'd rather see him at the commodore, I'm happy. Been waiting a year for him to announce another tour date here!
civiccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civiccer View Post
As long as the Kaskade concert isn't cancelled, though I'd rather see him at the commodore, I'm happy. Been waiting a year for him to announce another tour date here!
Agreed.. I'd rather see Kaskade at the commodore!
josayeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
particularly dubstep and its wobbly “wub-wub” bass lines[/url]
hahaha...

can you describe the sound you heard?

i normally describe to ppl, dubstep sounds like robots having raw sex...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
That skrillex show was loud lol I was at the community centre and could hear the wub wub wubb LOL
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
so when you filled the complaint, did the officer write down "wub wub wubbb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheDLo View Post
That skrillex show was loud lol I was at the community centre and could hear the wub wub wubb LOL

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
I complaint of megatron and bumblebee were having sex too loud...
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
hahaha...

can you describe the sound you heard?

i normally describe to ppl, dubstep sounds like robots having raw sex...
dubstep is more like the modem dial up tone

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Dunno what's up with these kids these days, dub step? Seriously?

Some of the early British stuff is pretty great, but this whole Skrillex stuff is just awful.
Over9K is offline   Reply With Quote