REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 04-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Break dust from hell

I just picked up a used set of gunmetal ITR wheels but the previous owner was running an agressive race pad on his car prior to take the wheels off.
The rear wheels aren't too bad as the dust comes of by wiping them down.
The front wheels on the other hand, are pretty bad. The dust is really caked on and is as rough as sandpaper.

Any recommendations or tips in removing the caked on dust? Would an Arm and Hammer magic eraser work? The commercials make that claim.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
*Brake

MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #3

Crap. I didn't even notice I spelled break instead of brake.
And the grammer. =(

That's what I get for trying to make a post half asleep.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 04-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I used thinner/acetone to get mine off, just make sure you wash it off right away
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It depends on how much time you have... I suggest long soak in warm water first, then some elbow grease with a toilet bowl type brush.. it will come off eventually. Remember to wax the wheel before you mount.. it will help reduce amount of brake dust stick to the wheel.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
safest way is to soak it in non acid wheel cleaner.

slowly wipe away the dust, rinse, and then re soak until its all gone.

if you do use acid, be careful how hard and much you scrub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Autoglym Wheel Acid will get it off....then scrub with a wheel brush. Soak it 1:1.

non acid wheel cleaner wont do anything on a wheel that has brake dust baked into it.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

If the wheels are off the car, bring them by and we'll use some special sauce I have that isn't available for sale. After that, just maintain them.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Not sure I'd use a Magic Eraser. That stuff is slightly abrasive and will likely scratch the paint off the wheel - I've used it to clean wax off textured plastic and I got the impression that it's a sponge with baking soda blended into it.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,026 Times in 201 Posts
warm water and dish soap works really good with a microfiber.

I had a shitload of brake dust from my trust big brake setup on my old wheels and with alot of soap and scrubbing with hot water it came off, wheels looked good as new after! It was extremely caked on as well. Make sure to wet it down real good before you scrub it though, brake pad dust is very bad for your lungs in the future lol (especially if they were ceramic pads)
68 Plymouth Barracuda
03 Custom Chopper
TurboFC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S View Post
warm water and dish soap works really good with a microfiber.

I had a shitload of brake dust from my trust big brake setup on my old wheels and with alot of soap and scrubbing with hot water it came off, wheels looked good as new after! It was extremely caked on as well. Make sure to wet it down real good before you scrub it though, brake pad dust is very bad for your lungs in the future lol (especially if they were ceramic pads)
That was the first thing I tried but with a big sponge. Took too long and the baked on dust was so bad that it chewed up the sponge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
Not sure I'd use a Magic Eraser. That stuff is slightly abrasive and will likely scratch the paint off the wheel - I've used it to clean wax off textured plastic and I got the impression that it's a sponge with baking soda blended into it.
They advertise it was working on their stupid commercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
If the wheels are off the car, bring them by and we'll use some special sauce I have that isn't available for sale. After that, just maintain them.
Thanks for the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
Autoglym Wheel Acid will get it off....then scrub with a wheel brush. Soak it 1:1.

non acid wheel cleaner wont do anything on a wheel that has brake dust baked into it.
I ended up buying some of this from CT over the weekend. Before I left the store, the first bottle I picked up was leaking. This stuff is quite corrosive.
Got some on my hands and could feel it burning right away. Washed it off and could clearly see the difference on the skin where the fluid had touched.

I didn't have a wheel brush but I did use some car wash brush and I must say this stuff worked right away on my other set of wheels.
The real test will be this weekend when I try it on my wheels with the baked on brake dust.

Thanks guys.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post

I didn't have a wheel brush but I did use some car wash brush and I must say this stuff worked right away on my other set of wheels.
The real test will be this weekend when I try it on my wheels with the baked on brake dust.

Deff use a wheel brush and follow the instructions...gloves are deff needed and a papermask if you got one...its gotta soak for a bit...and a few applications and patience should remove it pretty good. I got baked on brake dust on a jeep rim (5yrs+ of consistent driving and no wash) off with a brush and some elbow grease.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

pics
GAGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #14

I couldn't wait till the weekend and one application of spray on the wheels.
The rears cleaned up pretty good since the dust wasn't that bad.
The fronts are better.

I'll do another application on the fronts tonight. I'll post pics of the finished product once I am done.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 05-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Autoglym CWC diluted 1:1, if it does not work, either Sonax or IronX or Wheel brightener or Brown Royal or Ken's new chemical.
Which area do you live?
604_Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #16

Autoglym CWC cannot be compared to AutoGlym Clean Wheel....haha.

Thats like comparing apples to oranges.