REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   Mechanical Keyboard Recommendations (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667234-mechanical-keyboard-recommendations.html)

LuHua 04-28-2012 08:48 PM

Mechanical Keyboard Recommendations

Hey guys, I just want some help with choosing a mechanical keyboard.

Budget: $100-150 all in
Looking for something with Cherry MX Reds/Browns/Maybe Blacks
It'll have to be pretty small, a normal sized keyboard should work but I think the Corsair K90 may be a little on the big side for me. It's still a consideration though.

I'm working with an Everglide DKTboard right now, it's alright but the keypresses don't feel too smooth and the keys are pretty heavy. How are MX Blacks compared to the stiffer rubber domes?

Hehe 04-29-2012 03:00 AM

I had WASD and liked it very much until I moved into a smaller place and wife can't stand the noise. :fuckthatshit:

Someone at work has a DAS (not sure about the model) and it felt very comfortable when I typed on it. The feedback was just right.

3klipze 04-29-2012 06:07 PM

CM Storm QuickFire Pro - Cooler Master

used one before, highly recommended.

NSX 04-29-2012 06:51 PM

^^ I got the Metadot DAS keyboard. Solid Keyboard.
Also have the Razer Blackwidow. Heavier keys than the DAS but i like it a bit more than the DAS

dyan 04-29-2012 06:59 PM

I'm using the blackwidow right now. Its a bit noisy, but I soon got to love the sound it makes :p.

However if you're looking for black switches, the Steelseries 6Gv2 is pretty good.

LuHua 04-30-2012 07:50 AM

Ah, thanks guys. I ended up getting one of these: Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Blue Backlit Mechanical Keyboard

I pretty much got free shipping on it, and it has full backlighting so hope it works out.

dasani604 04-30-2012 11:31 AM

I'm also looking for a mechanical keyboard and I've narrowed down and there are 3 that I'm looking at:

CoolerMaster Quickfire Pro (already mentioned)
Steelseries 6v2
Steelseries 7

From past Steelseries products that I've used, it seems like their products are of high quality. I've read a few reviews on each of these and the lack of a numpad on the QuickfirePro is slightly a turn-off. I'm still quite unsure on which of these I should get - could I have some opinions please?

bobola 04-30-2012 12:55 PM

^^ I think the coolermaster comes in all 4 switches...
So that a plus..

I had the steelseries the builds is very durable..
But then, I didnt like the black switches cause they were too stiff..
So I went for the reds instead.

Depend on what switches you want!!

*Edit*
Rosewill Cherry Red is on sale for $80 at newegg if anyone interested...

3klipze 04-30-2012 08:52 PM

Just a quick curious question for those who are looking into getting a mechanical keyboard.
1) What is your usage for the keyboards?
2) Are you just sick of the normal membrane because they don't feel as solid?

LuHua 04-30-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3klipze (Post 7905230)
Just a quick curious question for those who are looking into getting a mechanical keyboard.
1) What is your usage for the keyboards?
2) Are you just sick of the normal membrane because they don't feel as solid?

1: Typing with some gaming; I'm in university so when it comes down to lab reports or research and papers I'd like something easy to type with.
2: Not sick of them but with the ones I have right now I can't type fast with them, it takes a bit of effort. One has a long keystroke, and the other one has stiff keys (gaming keyboard). Best one in my possession right now imo is the one on my XPS 1530 laptop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasani604 (Post 7904647)
I'm also looking for a mechanical keyboard and I've narrowed down and there are 3 that I'm looking at:

Steelseries 6v2
Steelseries 7

From past Steelseries products that I've used, it seems like their products are of btwhigh quality. I've read a few reviews on each of these and the lack of a numpad on the QuickfirePro is slightly a turn-off. I'm still quite unsure on which of these I should get - could I have some opinions please?

btw the QuickFire Pro is not tenkeyless, it has the full numpad
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70281&...e=COOLERMASTER
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/prod...uickFire%20Pro
The one at NCIX uses MX browns, and if you want the non-tactile MX reds then there's the Corsair K60 too.

dyan 04-30-2012 09:34 PM

^
Once you go mechanical, you won't want to go back... trust me. I'm using a mechanical at home, and when I use the school lab computers, they feel so dull. :p Also, the feel is so different haha.

m3thods 05-01-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbaddie (Post 7905291)
^
Once you go mechanical, you won't want to go back... trust me. I'm using a mechanical at home, and when I use the school lab computers, they feel so dull. :p Also, the feel is so different haha.

This.

For those of you who are in here wondering about what switches to get, you really have to go in store (or a friends) and try them out. It's all personal preference/typing style.

For me personally- I tried blacks first. They were sort of stiff, but I could roll off keys easily as I didn't have to bottom out to get back up (I'm a lazy typer). I went to try blues, and they're easier to depress than blacks imo, but boy are they loud. That said, I LOVE the feedback (tactile mostly), since you know for sure when you hit a key. People say blues are a lot like the IBM M keyboards, but to me the IBMs were better (the blues were softer, if that makes sense). Reds are just softer blacks, so I was bottoming out all the time which I didn't like.

I haven't tried browns, but according to my logic above, they should be my favorite. That said, I'll probably pick one up for work in the future, as my Ergo4000 is driving me nuts.

My usage? maybe 20% gaming, and the rest is short typing bursts (IMs, surfing). I'd imagine if you game A LOT, I'd go with Blacks/Reds.

belaud 05-01-2012 04:21 PM

Best keyboard is Cherry Red's (Steelseries 6GV2, Das Keyboard ULTIMATE, Corsair K90)

I personally use the Steelseries 6Gv2, its basic and I don't ever use any functions, so I don't bother with something as flashy as the K90.

Purely 05-01-2012 04:23 PM

Looking into getting a mechanical keyboard for the first time, how much louder are they in general compared to a regular keyboard?

StylinRed 05-01-2012 05:56 PM

^^^ i cant imagine them being louder than typewriters (if you've never experienced a real typewriter then fuck you :P)

and most these mechanical keyboards offer sound dampening gaskets for an extra price it would seem

dyan 05-01-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gYU (Post 7906024)
Looking into getting a mechanical keyboard for the first time, how much louder are they in general compared to a regular keyboard?

Unless you get blue switches, most of them aren't that much louder. It's also personal preference.. at first when i first got my mechanical keyboard (blue switches) i HATED the noise. But now, I wouldn't use anything other than it :)

LuHua 05-01-2012 09:43 PM

I'd probably compare blues to pen clicking, the others are pretty quiet if you can avoid bottoming out, you can also put in dampening rings/rubber washers to ease off the noise. Only the first 2 mm of travel is needed anyways.

Well, quieter than a pen actually...but I didn't like the blackwidow too much when I tried it because of it.

m3thods 05-02-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

If you're a lazy typer like me, blacks can be REALLY quiet. Since the actuation point is about midway (you don't have to bottom out), you can really roll off keys for fast typing. The downside is that you don't have feedback, so you will probably have tons of errors.

Pen-clicking is a good comparison to blues. Browns (from what I've seen on youtube) are quite a bit quieter, but still have that nice click. I'm waiting for more options locally, as buying on Amazon (say, for a Filco) is actually more expensive than buying here.

On a side note- How are people saying "switch x is better"? It's really personal preference..:suspicious:

Brianrietta 05-02-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasani604 (Post 7904647)

Steelseries 6v2
Steelseries 7

From past Steelseries products that I've used, it seems like their products are of high quality. I've read a few reviews on each of these and the lack of a numpad on the QuickfirePro is slightly a turn-off. I'm still quite unsure on which of these I should get - could I have some opinions please?

I've had a 7G for 3 years or so now. Love it. The oversized wristrest is ridiculously comfortable (although you'll need a large desk). Quality as you mentioned is absolutely top notch. I bought it primarily for gaming although I love it all around. It did take a few days to get used to the single backspace from years of using double backspaced keyboards. I don't notice it at all anymore. I do love being able to plug my mouse (Steelseries Ikari - also love it) into the keyboard as it's one less cable I have to run from the tower.

bobola 05-02-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

There are these "O rings" mod where you put small rubber o rings inside the keycap...

It just soften the noise when the keycap bottoms out.. which you will be doing with black/reds....

ddr 05-02-2012 03:54 PM

so how does the feeling differ between a blk/red + o-ring and a brown?

m3thods 05-02-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddr (Post 7907082)
so how does the feeling differ between a blk/red + o-ring and a brown?

browns have a defined "click" that you can feel. black/reds do not.

I think the o-rings are meant to dampen any sound coming from bottoming out black/red switched keyboards. Feel-wise, the browns would give you more feedback. Sound wise I'm not sure, as I've never used the O-rings.

bobola 05-02-2012 09:59 PM

^ that,

Is just bascially under the keycap... so you can use it with any switch..
Personally I dont like it cause it gives a mushy feeling when you press it hard..
It does soften most of the sound.!
The o ring also comes in different stiffness.. and I only used the softest one.. dont know about the others..!

But then if you master using brown/blue key, you wont be bottoming out anyways

Here pics of what it looks like :

Black key no o ring.. Red key with o ring
http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...502_224956.jpg

LuHua 05-03-2012 03:55 PM

Well, it came in. Very nice build quality, feels study and weighs in at around 3 lb or so. MX browns, semi-custom backlighting, built in usb hub and mic/headphone jacks, full NKRO over USB. What more can I ask for? haha

Durability and reliability remains to be seen, but as bigbaddie said I don't think I'll ever want to go back. Typing with this is a pleasure and it's not all that loud. Will have to get used to the keyboard dimensions though, my old one was pretty compact.

Sorry for this shit picture quality, couldn't find my dslr.

m3thods 05-03-2012 04:15 PM

What brand is that? MaxKeyboard? Sorry I couldn't really read from the photo :)

Did you buy it locally? How much? That looks pretty cool, and looks like it has all the features I want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuHua (Post 7908147)
Well, it came in. Very nice build quality, feels study and weighs in at around 3 lb or so. MX browns, semi-custom backlighting, built in usb hub and mic/headphone jacks, full NKRO over USB. What more can I ask for? haha

Durability and reliability remains to be seen, but as bigbaddie said I don't think I'll ever want to go back. Typing with this is a pleasure and it's not all that loud. Will have to get used to the keyboard dimensions though, my old one was pretty compact.

Sorry for this shit picture quality, couldn't find my dslr.