REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Bill Nye offends some Texans (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667366-bill-nye-offends-some-texans.html)

Manic! 05-01-2012 10:14 AM

Bill Nye offends some Texans

LOL!!!!

Bill Nye Boo'd In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun - Think Atheist

Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun.

As even most elementary-school graduates know, the moon reflects the light of the sun but produces no light of its own.

But don't tell that to the good people of Waco, who were "visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence," according to the Waco Tribune.

Nye was in town to participate in McLennan Community College's Distinguished Lecture Series. He gave two lectures on such unfunny and adult topics as global warming, Mars exploration, and energy consumption.

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected.

This story originally appeared in the Waco Tribune, but the newspaper has mysteriously pulled its story from the online version, presumably to avoid further embarrassment.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content...acbillnye.html

El Bastardo 05-01-2012 10:16 AM

ib4 the Revscene Amero-Hate

FN-2199 05-01-2012 10:17 AM

I'll start.

...Only in America. :facepalm:

Gridlock 05-01-2012 10:23 AM

Reading the title, I thought to myself, "self, how could Bill Nye offend anyone?"

And then the answer, of course was THE TRUTH! He offended them with truth.

gdoh 05-01-2012 10:24 AM

he seems to have rustled their jimmies

RacePace 05-01-2012 10:30 AM

He's over it

https://p.twimg.com/ArfjNc4CIAA4z1M.jpg:large

spoon.ek9 05-01-2012 10:42 AM

hahahah... wow. ignorant people be ignorant. the "elementary-graduates" comment made me lol :rofl:

TheKingdom2000 05-01-2012 10:42 AM

He probably knew that was going to be the response.
Whenever you bring religion into the mix, there is bound to be uproar.

StylinRed 05-01-2012 11:12 AM

i dont see why they're mad its still a light to "govern the night"

but odd that Nye would even bring that up.... since he's not speaking to elementary kids... he must have been trying to ruffle some feathers

elwell 05-01-2012 11:14 AM

He could of been experimenting the crowd to see their reactions lol

murd0c 05-01-2012 11:24 AM

And people wonder why the US has been in a debt crises for years .... Stupid fucken people who have no common sence.

Teh Doucher 05-01-2012 11:27 AM

Christians :facepalm:

GLOW 05-01-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7905740)
he must have been trying to ruffle some feathers

scientific :troll:

Pooface55 05-01-2012 11:39 AM

Bill Nye the science guy. Bill, bill bill bill bill bill.........:fullofwin:

GGnoRE 05-01-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7905705)
One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children

I feel bad for those children... what will they learn. They are probably forbiddened from watching any Bill Nye material now. :okay:

MeowMeow 05-01-2012 12:28 PM

I learned something new today :pokerface:

FiveDime 05-01-2012 12:29 PM

oh religion.

I find it funny that adults dismiss Santa Clause but believe in Jesus. They are one in the same... a fairy tale.

Psykopathik 05-01-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7905762)
And people wonder why the US has been in a debt crises for years .... Stupid fucken people who have no common sence.

"sense"

:troll:

Texans
:fulloffuck:

Matlock 05-01-2012 02:47 PM

I thought this sounded familiar...

Link is from 2009....

InvisibleSoul 05-01-2012 02:51 PM

:fuckthatshit:

Presto 05-01-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 7905934)
I thought this sounded familiar...

Link is from 2009....

It's, actually, from April 2006:
'The Science Guy' is entertaining and provocative at MCC lecture

The next day, Nye was on Olbermann talking about it:
'Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for April 7 - msnbc tv - Countdown with Keith Olbermann - msnbc.com
Quote:

UNGER: …Let’s start first, though, with what happened to you during that lecture. Now as a scientist you come across this sort of heckling from time to time?…

NYE: I have to tell you guys, I didn’t think I was heckled. People left. I don’t remember being heckled. I got a standing O at the end…

UNGER: Lots of shouts out there. That was kind of a heckle.

NYE: Let’s—I don’t want to get to far afield here and talk too much about me, but I was talking about how a very famous reverend, Jerry Falwell insisted that he thinks that global climate change, global heating is a myth, and he was going to buy a Chevy Suburban the next time he had an opportunity, and I pointed out that that’s bad.

And that the literal interpretation of the Bible, to me, is not satisfactory, it’s just not enough information…

Some people left because they were concerned. Knock yourselves out. But people—we have taxpayers and voters that don’t believe in global heating, think it’s a myth. That’s not in anybody’s best interest. I’m going to tell you, as a scientist and so on, engineer and taxpayer and voter that global heating, global warming is a very serious problem. And you can’t ignore it. It’s a problem discovered through the process of science. So it’s a worthy thing.

drunkrussian 05-01-2012 04:34 PM

nobody blamed china for somehow causing this yet?

lgman 05-01-2012 04:38 PM

maybe Richard Hammon should help paint in big giant pink font "ATHEISM.ORG" on the side of his tour bus see how many windows get taken out.

pinn3r 05-01-2012 04:44 PM

humans aren't creatures of logic; they're creatures of emotion

some fucking people man :facepalm:

yukikaze203 05-01-2012 04:48 PM

revscene news is better than tv news :fullofwin: