REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,578 Times in 4,295 Posts
MayDay Protest

Seattle was having a peacefuly May Day protest today and it got out of control. So far Nike town was trashed and they are still going strong.

Windows broken, pepper spray at Seattle May Day protests | KING5.com Seattle

Quote:
A group of anarchist May Day protesters marched through Seattle's streets Tuesday, many dressed in black clothes, and wearing masks and face makeup.

Windows at the federal courthouse, a Wells Fargo bank, Niketown and the Tap House Bar and Grill were broken and there have been a handful of arrests. Video of protesters using sticks to smash windows was captured.

Police were also seen on foot and on bicycles wearing riot gear, ushering protesters away from businesses. At least one officer was seen using a baton after a protester attempted to smash windows.

However, peaceful protests remain at Westlake Park, where speeches and concerts are continuing. A group called "Hip Hop Occupy Seattle" called for the crowd to protect each other.

In addition, a large number of students walked out of Seattle Central Community College, gathering for a march down Capitol Hill.

Click here for a schedule of planned May Day events

Protesters are being flanked by Seattle Police officers on bicycles. The Seattle Police Department said they plan to put extra officers in place at demonstrations, both in uniform and undercover.

Mayor Mike McGinn and other city leaders said they remain concerned that anarchist groups may turn to violence at the normally peaceful protests.

Signs and websites have been found advocating Seattle's protesters to "strike back" or "shut down the city."

Seattle May Day organizers said they have their own security forces. Both Occupy Seattle and El Comite will have a group of "peacekeepers" in the crowds working with police.

The Occupy Movement is also placing "peacekeepers" within their march from Seattle Central Community College to Westlake Park. They too said they ask troublemakers to stay away.

Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn is scheduled to be at the El Comite demonstration at 6:30 p.m. He plans to tell them about his support of immigration reform.
Advertisement
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

As long as cheesecake factory was unharmed.
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
meanwhile in NYC

Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
May Day Protests ohhhhhh i was wondering why there seemed to be so many protests being covered on the news
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Mariners lost already??
Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
pinn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
6:25 #MayDay rally marching on Howe to Robson to Burarrd to Hastings. Expect rolling closures for the protest in Downtown #Vancouver.

from news1130
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
OBAMA 2012
Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
One of the cops driving behind today's mayday march downtown:

"Just another day in Vancouver, huh?"
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,487 Times in 1,150 Posts
SEATTLE (NEWS1130) - A family from Vancouver has been victimized by violent May Day riots in Downtown Seattle.

Their car was smashed up as protestors ripped up and down 6th Avenue.

"This is a real welcome to Seattle," Sam, who didn't want to use his full name, told KOMO News.

In a scene similar to Vancouver's Stanley Cup riot, people are taking photos of the destruction with their phones.

Some of the protestors saw Sam's BC license plate and have been mouthing him off.

"I don't know why everyone is wanting pictures of my car, I don't know why they got to mouth off at me and tell me 'Go back to Canada hoser,'" he exclaims.

He adds that Seattle police officers just stood by and watched as so-called anarchists smashed storefront windows.
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
News1130 ‏ @News1130radio
Protestors in black masks and carrying torches surrounded by Vancouver Police on Broadway and Clark. Reporter heading to the scene.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post
SEATTLE (NEWS1130) - A family from Vancouver has been victimized by violent May Day riots in Downtown Seattle.

Their car was smashed up as protestors ripped up and down 6th Avenue.

"This is a real welcome to Seattle," Sam, who didn't want to use his full name, told KOMO News.

In a scene similar to Vancouver's Stanley Cup riot, people are taking photos of the destruction with their phones.

Some of the protestors saw Sam's BC license plate and have been mouthing him off.

"I don't know why everyone is wanting pictures of my car, I don't know why they got to mouth off at me and tell me 'Go back to Canada hoser,'" he exclaims.

He adds that Seattle police officers just stood by and watched as so-called anarchists smashed storefront windows.
Fucking scumbags. I apologize if this sounds rash, if I was in the guy's shoes, I would have just floored it and got out of there, regardless if anyone got run over in the process. I support peaceful protests within reason, but once things start getting destroyed, IMO they're completely fair game to get hurt or be subject to police brutality.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
10psi aint enough...

My family friend who works in seattle said its terrifying to see his hometown for 60+ being destroyed.

That intersection is where I always go shopping, macys, nordstrom etc...makes me feel bad for that vancouver family being tormented.

Hope all victims are safe.
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
This title intentionally left blank MOD

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Fucking scumbags. I apologize if this sounds rash, if I was in the guy's shoes, I would have just floored it and got out of there, regardless if anyone got run over in the process. I support peaceful protests within reason, but once things start getting destroyed, IMO they're completely fair game to get hurt or be subject to police brutality.
if you're using violence as a solution then you are no better then they are.

These black block losers need to be destroyed from the inside. They have done nothing but drag down protesters rights and give marches a bad name. Send a cia undercover agent in their little group and discover their plots before they happen, similiar to what they did in Battle Of Seattle. Sure they're pests, but soon or later they will do something incredibly sinister.

"I don't know why everyone is wanting pictures of my car, I don't know why they got to mouth off at me and tell me 'Go back to Canada hoser,'" he exclaims."
Stay classy Murika. Every time I go there I find disrespectful asshats saying stuff like this. Last time they called my canadian money "Useless and hideous." The time before that was at a seahawks game where the fans behind me found it insulting that there was a canadian soldier and flag on the field.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
what's a may day protest? what r people protesting? can someone fill me in
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Vancouver's May Day rally took a turn for the worse as protestors set a large fire in the middle of Commercial Drive and Charles Street late Tuesday.

Riot police ordered the assembly to disperse after 40 to 50 protestors — some donning black masks — lit a fire near the intersection.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Vanc...#ixzz1tgmfMQb0

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
Vancouver's May Day rally took a turn for the worse as protestors set a large fire in the middle of Commercial Drive and Charles Street late Tuesday.

Riot police ordered the assembly to disperse after 40 to 50 protestors — some donning black masks — lit a fire near the intersection.

Read more: Vancouver May Day protestors, riot police clash

Fucking idiots. Where's the rubber bullets when you need them? These are not protestors, these are troublemakers. To hell with them.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #19
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
The may day protest started with people celebrating their harvest in november. But if the harvest was bad, then they must sacrafice someone on may 1st in order to have a decent harvest that year. To reverse the bad luck of the harvest. After countless bad harvests and a lot of beheadings/stonings/embalmings, the people started to get frustrated. So they started protesting. It used to be just for the farmers, now every so called under payed union jack off gets involved. Here's a prime example of what used to happen.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
from wikipedia

Quote:
International Workers' Day (also known as May Day) is a celebration of the international labour movement and left-wing movements. It commonly sees organized street demonstrations and marches by working people and their labour unions throughout most of the world. May 1 is a national holiday in more than 80 countries. It is also celebrated unofficially in many other countries.

Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
MOD

One May Day protester has been arrested for assaulting a police officer in the area of Commercial Drive and Charles Street, according to a police scanner monitoring report.

Read more: Occupy protestors dispersed from Commercial Drive

Quote:

Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #22
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Dafuq, some how a national Holiday was turned into a riot?!

Its supposed to celebrate, not destroy.
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #23
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Same. The lives of my family and my property take precedent over my need to not run over people I don't know and paralyze them.

If you didn't want to never walk again, you should've stayed the fuck away from my car.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #24
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Just left Seattle a couple of hours ago. I was fortunate to have done my shopping downtown on Monday and avoided this.
Ron_Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #25
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Bloody disgrace. I'm so sick and tired of these unemployed fucktards and their protest. No one gives a shit about the so called "99%" because the actual 99% is at work and not out destroying shit.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote