REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/toyota-lexus-tech-resources_311/)
-   -   AE86 rear end problems... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667530-ae86-rear-end-problems.html)

ZeroLimit 05-04-2012 07:07 PM

AE86 rear end problems...

So I just had my back end completely rebuilt, because my differential pinion bearings were fried. I had my axle housings cleaned out, new bearings installed, and the differential just rebuilt. It's a 1.5 way LSD, now the part that really bothers me, is that now instead of making a roaring noise as it goes down the road, it makes a pulsing noise, like a low tone wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh. Sorta really disappointed in the fact I put money and time into getting it fixed, and there's still a problem with it, but I have no idea what it is. I've googled several problems but can't seem to pin point what it exactly is. Would anyone have any idea what may be wrong with it?

godwin 05-05-2012 10:41 AM

wheel bearings?

Iceman-19 05-05-2012 11:30 AM

Bad axle, tire issue, hearing issue?

ZeroLimit 05-05-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 7909883)
wheel bearings?

Just replaced the wheel bearings, and the differential's pinion bearings.

!SG 05-05-2012 04:22 PM

did you do the fronts? maybe before, the louder of the sounds covered the rest of the issues. had that happen before.

ZeroLimit 05-05-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 7910088)
did you do the fronts? maybe before, the louder of the sounds covered the rest of the issues. had that happen before.

The sounds are definitely coming from the rear end of the car. It's just a pulsing sound when the car is in motion. I'm thinking it may be a warped brake pad or something didn't go back in right. :/

Neva 05-05-2012 05:54 PM

I'd think it's probably tire noise but bearings could do that if they're not sitting on the races properly. Put it the back end in the air and run it then look for the source to get some more info.

lowda9 05-05-2012 06:26 PM

Had this problem before except only when braking. My rotors were warped.

narfy 05-05-2012 10:57 PM

if your pinion bearings were fried, did they replace the ring and pinion during this "rebuild"?? if no, then i'll bet you $5 that's where your noise is coming from... either that, or they didn't pattern it correctly...

who did the work?

ZeroLimit 05-06-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narfy (Post 7910374)
if your pinion bearings were fried, did they replace the ring and pinion during this "rebuild"?? if no, then i'll bet you $5 that's where your noise is coming from... either that, or they didn't pattern it correctly...

who did the work?

A guy named Matt. He's a red seal approved mechanic, seems like a very straight forward honest guy who knows what he's doing. It's just disappointing that my diff is so out of shape that he couldn't have fixed it all together right then and there. :okay:

narfy 05-07-2012 11:23 PM

it sounds to me like you have a bad tooth or two in your ring and pinion... remove it again and carefully inspect it... also double check the pattern...

99% of the times, a bad pinion bearing means a bad pinion gear, which translates to a bad ring gear... if you got a bad ring and pinion, it might be a good opportunity for you to upgrade to a 4.778 final drive ratio... get better acceleration, but worse highway fuel economy...

i know a guy that can help you and rebuild it properly... he's done more AE86 rear end rebuilds than anyone i know... PM me if u need his contact...