REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources

Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources All Toyota & Lexus Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

AE86 rear end problems...

So I just had my back end completely rebuilt, because my differential pinion bearings were fried. I had my axle housings cleaned out, new bearings installed, and the differential just rebuilt. It's a 1.5 way LSD, now the part that really bothers me, is that now instead of making a roaring noise as it goes down the road, it makes a pulsing noise, like a low tone wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh. Sorta really disappointed in the fact I put money and time into getting it fixed, and there's still a problem with it, but I have no idea what it is. I've googled several problems but can't seem to pin point what it exactly is. Would anyone have any idea what may be wrong with it?
Advertisement
ZeroLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
wheel bearings?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Bad axle, tire issue, hearing issue?
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
wheel bearings?
Just replaced the wheel bearings, and the differential's pinion bearings.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
did you do the fronts? maybe before, the louder of the sounds covered the rest of the issues. had that happen before.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
did you do the fronts? maybe before, the louder of the sounds covered the rest of the issues. had that happen before.
The sounds are definitely coming from the rear end of the car. It's just a pulsing sound when the car is in motion. I'm thinking it may be a warped brake pad or something didn't go back in right. :/
Old 05-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I'd think it's probably tire noise but bearings could do that if they're not sitting on the races properly. Put it the back end in the air and run it then look for the source to get some more info.

Tumblr
1980 Datsun 280Z: sold 1995 Subaru Justy rip
1990 Civic Si: sold 1991 NA6 Miata rip
1989 240sx coupe: sold 1990 NA8 Miata current
1987 Corolla GTS Hatch: rip
1986 200sx hatch: sold
1989 Rb'd 240sx hatch: sold
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Had this problem before except only when braking. My rotors were warped.
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #9

if your pinion bearings were fried, did they replace the ring and pinion during this "rebuild"?? if no, then i'll bet you $5 that's where your noise is coming from... either that, or they didn't pattern it correctly...

who did the work?
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfy View Post
if your pinion bearings were fried, did they replace the ring and pinion during this "rebuild"?? if no, then i'll bet you $5 that's where your noise is coming from... either that, or they didn't pattern it correctly...

who did the work?
A guy named Matt. He's a red seal approved mechanic, seems like a very straight forward honest guy who knows what he's doing. It's just disappointing that my diff is so out of shape that he couldn't have fixed it all together right then and there.

Last edited by Berzerker; 05-06-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: REMOVED COMPANY NAME
Old 05-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #11

it sounds to me like you have a bad tooth or two in your ring and pinion... remove it again and carefully inspect it... also double check the pattern...

99% of the times, a bad pinion bearing means a bad pinion gear, which translates to a bad ring gear... if you got a bad ring and pinion, it might be a good opportunity for you to upgrade to a 4.778 final drive ratio... get better acceleration, but worse highway fuel economy...

i know a guy that can help you and rebuild it properly... he's done more AE86 rear end rebuilds than anyone i know... PM me if u need his contact...
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote