REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
Balcony/windowsill herb gardens

I noticed the topic's come up once or twice in the food forum about growing your own herbs, thought it'd be nice to have a dedicated thread.

Where/how do you get something like this running? I saw some starter kits at Superstore the other day, will this work or should I go to an actual garden supply place or home depot or something?

I have two options, one on the balcony outdoors and one indoors on a nice wide window sill. Both get a lot of afternoon sunlight. I prefer outdoors but the window sill might be nice if there's no risk of overflowing water or spillage.

Herbs I would be interested in growing: rosemary, oregano, basil. Is one type better suited for outdoors or indoors?

Pics and ideas of your own setups would be nice to share too!
Advertisement
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,453 Times in 987 Posts
rosemary is suited for outdoors for sure. you want to be able to have a huge bush of it not just a tiny little plant. i've tried growing it indoors a few times and without a lot of success.

also chives cannot be grown indoors. they need the wind and outdoor environment to grow rigid. in an indoor pot they just flop.

basil is an easy plant to grow. needs lots of sun and water, and you have to learn how to pinch it back. pinch above the second set of leaves and it'll multiply. if you regularly apply this trick you'll have basil for the whole season.

im not growing herbs this year but i have for the last 3 years.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I grow herbs on my balcony as well, the BIG trick is knowing exactly how much and what kind of light you get.

Rosemary and Dill are both pretty resilient, I do oregano and basil as well (and this makes for the BEST summer pasta dishes).
Old 05-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Just not having much luck starting rosemary from seed.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #5

Oh don't grow anything from seed, it's too late in the year already. Buy seedlings.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #6

Where do you recommend getting seedlings? Home depot?
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 05-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Ri2
Willing to stick a finger in a guys butt for the sake of science

i'm also looking into growing my own herbs!! i heard that they're very rewarding. i was looking at the baby plants at home depot and was also wondering if i would get a better result if i try planting in the ground outside. some herbs i'm looking at are lemon balm, dill, rosemary, and oregano. lemon balm for sure i'd love to have a giant bush of it if possible. smells amazing!
Ri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Where do you recommend getting seedlings? Home depot?
There's a great garden place out in maple ridge that I really like (in fact I'm heading out there this weekend), it's just down from Hobcotts.

Canadian Tire though or home depot, Superstore probably they'll all have seedlings though they'll probably cost more than at a garden store.

Quote:
i'm also looking into growing my own herbs!! i heard that they're very rewarding. i was looking at the baby plants at home depot and was also wondering if i would get a better result if i try planting in the ground outside. some herbs i'm looking at are lemon balm, dill, rosemary, and oregano. lemon balm for sure i'd love to have a giant bush of it if possible. smells amazing!
I haven't done Lemon Balm so I can't speak to that the others will do a lot better outside though and now that it looks like we're done with the big chills it's the time to do it. If you can get them in direct sun for at least a good chunk of the day. The last too summers have been too cool for balcony tomatoes and peppers sadly unless you can get a LOT of sun on them (roof top gardens, not balconies for these suckers).
Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ri2 View Post
I have a lemon balm bush. I already have too much and this one's in an awkward spot right beside a footpath.
Was going to kill it this weekend, but you might as well just come get it instead of buying a seedling and growing it?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I just bought a lemon balm at home depot forgot price tho I think around 2 dollars.
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I posted this in the lifehacks thread a couple days ago and I may as well post it here as well.

A shoe organizer repurposed into a vertical herb garden. Great solution for those with less space!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #12

Okay, I got a 32" balcony planter box, one of those cheap plastic ones, with the metal hangers, and some soil.

I am thinking 2 oregano, 2 basil, 1 rosemary and 1 dill. Not sure if that is too dense? Or could I fit more?
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Are there any lemon trees that can handle our winters?
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
make sure you grow greek oregano.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #15
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Okay, I got a 32" balcony planter box, one of those cheap plastic ones, with the metal hangers, and some soil.

I am thinking 2 oregano, 2 basil, 1 rosemary and 1 dill. Not sure if that is too dense? Or could I fit more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
make sure you grow greek oregano.
Agreed. Greek oregano.

As for 2 of them, i'd cut one and replace it with chives. Organo is hearty and you don't need a lot.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #16

I ended up with 1 rosemary, 1 oregano, 1 basil and 2 cilantro. I read Chives required a deep pot for the roots, which my window box is not.

Is there a method to plucking and using the herbs? I looked up pinching basil and that looked ok, but what about the others?
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Basil and Cilantro are annuals. Your rosemary and oregano could survive and give you herbs year after year. You should plant more basil.. especially you can make pesto out of them and store them in icecubes.. break it out when you need them.

As for method: Rinse, bruise then use?

Quote:
I ended up with 1 rosemary, 1 oregano, 1 basil and 2 cilantro. I read Chives required a deep pot for the roots, which my window box is not.

Is there a method to plucking and using the herbs? I looked up pinching basil and that looked ok, but what about the others?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote