REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

View Poll Results: Phone or court appeal?
I would use the phone appeal system 4 25.00%
I would use the court appeal system 12 75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
...on a mission....

OSMV or court system?

I hope this works right....but I would like to do a poll.

I would use the phone appeal system:

or

I would use the court appeal system:
Advertisement
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

I may have missed it.... but what exactly is it that you're appealing?
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Driving infractions. I would appeal in person if I could but for out of town tickets the phone is a great option.

Berz out.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
I may have missed it.... but what exactly is it that you're appealing?
Sorry about that...yes...driving infractions...in light of the new legislation the province wants to bring in....
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

If they're going to stack the odds even higher against you, they should at least eliminate pentalty points and the penalty point premiums for offences.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #6
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

This is about the "efficient" processing of revenue by reducing the administrative costs and increasing the conviction rate. This isn't about fairness at all. If this was about fairness, they would allow you the option of disputing traffic tickets by either going to traffic court or dialing in. All the arguments about why they need a dial-in system (reducing wait times, cost of traveling to court, freeing up the court system) would also be improved by having presented this as a voluntary option. However, they present it as a REPLACEMENT for the courts for the simple reason that if they ran both programs side by side it would be pretty apparent that the conviction rate of the dial in program will be much higher than in traffic court. Soon, nobody would opt for the dial in program.

The reason why the conviction for the dial in program would be so much higher is because the OSMV has no business being considered an impartial, independent arbitrator. Consider a number of recent high profile cases that were subsequently overturned by a Provincial court hearing where judges cited a lack of evidence. I refer to the recent case of 12 super cars "racing" down why 99 where provincial court judges ruled that the OSMV had incorrectly suspended the licenses of 2 drivers when there was no evidence that they were breaking any laws at all. The OSMV ruled them Guilty by Association. That sounds more like the judgement of a kangaroo court than the proper justice system we'd expect in a free society.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

Well put, Marco911.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
But even going to court and going in front of a JP, the odds are stacked against you since it is your word vs the word of a police officer.
If he said you were doing 60 km/h and you said you were going 50 km/h in a 50 zone, guess what the end result will be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
But even going to court and going in front of a JP, the odds are stacked against you since it is your word vs the word of a police officer.
If he said you were doing 60 km/h and you said you were going 50 km/h in a 50 zone, guess what the end result will be?
How is that not fair? The officer is trained to estimate your speed and in most cases supports that training using a speed measuring device. The officer makes a far more credible witness than someone claiming he wasn't speeding with zero evidence.

If you want to win, you have to bring supporting evidence that you were not speeding or raise doubt in the officer's testimony. If you had a dashcam that registered your vehicle speed or evidence contrary to the testimony of the officer, that can be submitted as evidence, though you would also have to show that your device is accurately callibrated.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I always found the best defense was the officer not showing up.

However, sometimes they do make mistakes. One time I tried a charter argument, it didn't work out, so I ended the dispute before getting into the actual trial part (I wasn't about to embarrass myself with a bull**** excuse). Oddly, that sparked the justice's curiosity and he asked to hear the whole story. It turns out I received a 'Pass on the Right' in error, as you are in fact allowed to pass cars if you are in the right lane if they are in the left lane. So the justice dismissed that charge. Too bad I was passing at full tilt and still had the speeding penalty, but it was worth the trip to court!

Had a cool chat with the officer afterwards too. He had moved on to gang unit stuff and couldn't believe I was paying out more for speeding than most drug dealers he had busted.

My experience with the OSMV has always been heavy handed compared to a justice. I think everyone deserves their day in court. Where will they draw the line next?
DasHooch is offline   Reply With Quote