REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Dealer Rant (https://www.revscene.net/forums/667886-dealer-rant.html)

kuldud 05-12-2012 10:11 AM

Dealer Rant

My Volvo S60R's rad sprung a leak so I checked online how much it is. The rad normally runs around $125 - $185 so I figured maybe I should just buy it locally if it is that cheap. I call the local volvo dealership that I deal with and they tell me that the rad is $600.00. I said wow, and I had to tell the guy, "you know I just checked online how much it is worth". I'd understand it if they charge me somewhere around $300 plus but not $600. Some dealers are just out there to stiff you if you don't do any homework.

In the business that I am in we actually base our pricing on current market values of raw materials for the products that we manufacture. The last thing we want to do is to overcharge the client and leave a bad taste in their mouth. What we strive to do is create a long lasting relationship with any client so that we can have ongoing business. This dealer that I dealt with did the total opposite.

To cut a long story short, don't deal with the Volvo dealer in the Surrey area.

Nabatron 05-12-2012 10:13 AM

thats a huge mark up for sure....but everything is cheaper online

kuldud 05-12-2012 10:15 AM

Oh and I just got a quote from Fraser Valler Radiator and they gave me a price of $225.00.

Nabatron 05-12-2012 10:20 AM

well then now you know volvo dealer in surrey was legit trying to screw you over big time

Sango 05-12-2012 10:22 AM

I guess in some terms, they are typically known as "stealerships".

Never buy from your local dealers if you can, just get them online.

StylinRed 05-12-2012 10:27 AM

different manufacturers? the dealership probably doesnt stock a lot of radiators so they'd have to special order a genuine one for you from volvo @ msrp

& there are all sorts of aftermarket rads out there (competition/materials)

that and online is always cheaper the prices listed online are mark downs from msrp (which they list is around $300) + u have to consider shipping and the fact they're sourced in the USA (where its almost always cheaper)

costing a lot more is expected from a dealership

tofu1413 05-12-2012 10:45 AM

oem parts do cost a bit more than jobber replacement parts, keep that in mind.

pretty sure the one you looked up online is a jobber part (sometimes lower in quality, sometimes oem quality, sometimes even premium, who knows.)

also, mark ups at dealer are because of the overhead cost (to run the dealer, the guy you talked to has to get paid) and online stores are usually just warehouses (less overhead)

600 with zero discount isnt surprising.. a co worker of mine was quoted 600+ and a 3 week wait for an oem replacement alternator for an S2000 at the dealer... at the end, was able to pick up a brand new jobber part for about 250...

outlaw44 05-12-2012 10:58 AM

They re a rad shop in behind royal oak area By the Sikh temple Across the street from
Grassy patch .... I thinks its called radiator king has a catus in the logo they've gotten me new
Rads cheap

Cman333 05-12-2012 11:05 AM

Wait til you see how much cheaper US MSRP on OEM parts are.

I sometimes just order straight from the dealerships in WA state and ship up here. Still way cheaper.

Canadian dealer MSRP is stupid.

I needed a Hummer H2 diff housing. Dueck wanted like $1200 with my business discount. I got from a GM dealer in WA and paid full MSRP $5xx + $50 shipping to Blaine.

lowside67 05-12-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofu1413 (Post 7916483)
oem parts do cost a bit more than jobber replacement parts, keep that in mind.

pretty sure the one you looked up online is a jobber part (sometimes lower in quality, sometimes oem quality, sometimes even premium, who knows.)

This.

There is a big price difference between a brand new part from the manufacturer and an "equivalent" part. You are comparing apples to oranges.

http://www.vivaperformance.com/genui...s-s60-v70-s80/

This is a true Volvo part... $329usd + shipping + brokerage. For sure way less than buying it new at Volvo in Canada, but twice the price of the one that you saw online.

Mark

kuldud 05-12-2012 11:18 AM

Yes, even OEM parts are cheaper down south.

The other point that I have is when will canadian businesses start to compete with businesses down south? Our money is at par now. There is enough demand here now to be able to get volume discount on almost anything. You and me and everyone else looking to save a buck spend our money outside the country. They need to do something so that those monies being spent by aware consumers are spent here and not in the US.

lowside67 05-12-2012 11:32 AM

Well I can tell you for absolute certainty that Canadian Volvo dealerships would love to be able to buy parts from the US just like they'd like to be able to buy used Volvos in the US for resale here. However, their franchise agreements will not allow them to do anything outside of the territory.

That was the original reason for the creation of Brian Jessel Autohaus was that he got slapped by BMW Canada for importing some US BMWs for resale and they threatened to pull his franchise. The opportunity was too great so they opened a completely separate second dealership to allow them to sell US cars.

Mark

Gridlock 05-12-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 7916496)
This.

There is a big price difference between a brand new part from the manufacturer and an "equivalent" part. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Genuine Volvo Radiator, S60/V70/S80 - ViVA Performance

This is a true Volvo part... $329usd + shipping + brokerage. For sure way less than buying it new at Volvo in Canada, but twice the price of the one that you saw online.

Mark

Plus, we don't know that he didn't have that radiator in stock.

There is something to be said for "my car is puking out coolant and I need to get to work on Monday" and he has a rad right there for you, vs..."you know, I could save $150-$200 if I wait a week for it to be shipped"

The dealer supposed to sit on these parts for free?

Even if its not in stock, I would imagine the dealer would have it delivered faster from their suppliers than you would from yours.

Depends on how bad your current part is, I guess.

tofu1413 05-12-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 7916520)
Well I can tell you for absolute certainty that Canadian Volvo dealerships would love to be able to buy parts from the US just like they'd like to be able to buy used Volvos in the US for resale here. However, their franchise agreements will not allow them to do anything outside of the territory.

That was the original reason for the creation of Brian Jessel Autohaus was that he got slapped by BMW Canada for importing some US BMWs for resale and they threatened to pull his franchise. The opportunity was too great so they opened a completely separate second dealership to allow them to sell US cars.

Mark

actually, thats where brianjessel wholesale outlet comes in.. :concentrate:

then again, the EX-USA cars are actually trade ins! they dont buy in ex-USA's BMWs.. (assuming not a Z8)

Ronith 05-12-2012 12:11 PM

TascaParts.com

OEM, Volvo, $239.

;)

godwin 05-12-2012 01:01 PM

It is down to volume and opportunity cost, if you use your car as a DD, would you want to wait for 2 weeks for a part from the US or a part overnight from a local dealer?.. not to mention Canadian car makers a lot of the times are formed as a subsidiary of the US Arm.. so each level has to be profitable.

Canadian businesses like dealerships who are importers can't really compete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuldud (Post 7916508)
Yes, even OEM parts are cheaper down south.

The other point that I have is when will canadian businesses start to compete with businesses down south? Our money is at par now. There is enough demand here now to be able to get volume discount on almost anything. You and me and everyone else looking to save a buck spend our money outside the country. They need to do something so that those monies being spent by aware consumers are spent here and not in the US.

!SG 05-12-2012 03:43 PM

why is this even a rant?

who are you to demand a discount? are you a business? dealerships are suppose to charge retail, they are governed by headoffice, probably volvo of canada, which sets the price.

do you run a business? did you register your business with the dealership? thats the only way to get a discount. if an independant shop buys that radiator off the dealership, then sells to u, or even installs for you, they need to mark it up to retail pricing. chances are they only get 15-20% off themselves. then they need to make off labour. that revenue goes to paying their overhead.

where did you get ur pricing from? was it oem pricing? was it canadian pricing? or did you base your price off of a site that makes radiators for your make and model?

cant believe what this site has become, ppl ranting because they didnt get a discount??? join a volvo car club, they probably have an account set up with a dealership to get that discount.

if you drive a newer car, chances are u have no choice but to go to the dealership, until some manufactuer is able to copy the product and sell it as jobber or oe item.

so now ur telling everyone to avoid volvo of surrey because they didnt give you a discount? hope u dont step into a strip bar with that attitude.

Kidnapman 05-12-2012 03:55 PM

Spoiler!

Truth hurts, but everything Mr.Admin said is correct.

extracrunchie 05-12-2012 07:51 PM

tell me about it, i lost one of those airbox intake bolts and went to acura to get new ones thinking they are inexpensive.

They wanted $15 for one bolt, I am like this is bs and left.
I also stripped a lug nut and they wanted $15 for one.

online its like pennies, seriously.

falcon 05-12-2012 07:52 PM

Dealers don't set prices, manufacturers do. Deal with it, or go elsewhere. Simple solution.

kuldud 05-14-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 7916706)
why is this even a rant?

who are you to demand a discount? are you a business? dealerships are suppose to charge retail, they are governed by headoffice, probably volvo of canada, which sets the price.

do you run a business? did you register your business with the dealership? thats the only way to get a discount. if an independant shop buys that radiator off the dealership, then sells to u, or even installs for you, they need to mark it up to retail pricing. chances are they only get 15-20% off themselves. then they need to make off labour. that revenue goes to paying their overhead.

where did you get ur pricing from? was it oem pricing? was it canadian pricing? or did you base your price off of a site that makes radiators for your make and model?

cant believe what this site has become, ppl ranting because they didnt get a discount??? join a volvo car club, they probably have an account set up with a dealership to get that discount.

if you drive a newer car, chances are u have no choice but to go to the dealership, until some manufactuer is able to copy the product and sell it as jobber or oe item.

so now ur telling everyone to avoid volvo of surrey because they didnt give you a discount? hope u dont step into a strip bar with that attitude.

for an admin of a huge website you sure make comments that are too confrontational. take it easy and read my post again.

first of all i didn't ask for a discount so your comment does not even relate to my post. i just simply chose not to buy the radiator from them. oh and by the way i didn't mention the dealer name, you did.

i actually am a member of swedespeed.com so i have done a lil bit of homework with regards to prices.

i do run a business and we fairly charge our customers for anything we sell. let's say we buy materials for a certain project and we have them shipped here, if we have other projects that will use the same materials then there will be savings in not only the cost of material but also in shipping for they can be piggybacked.

let's just face the truth even OEM parts are cheaper down south, period.

if you feel that my rant does not deserve to be heard by anyone then delete it or ban me for this is probably the last you'll hear from me.

cho 05-14-2012 09:26 AM

later bud

tiger_handheld 05-14-2012 09:31 AM

edited: not going to get into it...again.

freakshow 05-14-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuldud (Post 7917991)
Spoiler!

So your rant was "dealers charge more than online stores"? I think SG was actually going easy on you..
You may run a business, but your original post comes off as naive, ignorant and narrow-minded.

GGnoRE 05-14-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuldud (Post 7916444)
don't deal with the Volvo dealer in the Surrey area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuldud (Post 7917991)
oh and by the way i didn't mention the dealer name, you did.

what the... isn't there only 1 volvo dealership in surrey?