REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #51
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum300 View Post
Damn chugs, all they do is steal, have babies, go on welfare and get drunk. So pathetic. Just because they are chugs it should not be an excuse for them to have a lighter punishment. They are responsible for their own actions.
I take it you did not read the warning from the mods about racial slurs on this thread did you.
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #52
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,173 Times in 2,406 Posts
Quote:
Damn chugs, all they do is steal, have babies, go on welfare and get drunk. So pathetic. Just because they are chugs it should not be an excuse for them to have a lighter punishment. They are responsible for their own actions.
lol you dumb bastard.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
Old 05-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #53
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
I'm happy that someone replaced her iPad, helps restore a little faith in humanity.

If I were a bystander in that position, I really hope I would be able to step up and help out the victim..the feeling of guilt from not doing anything would bug the hell out of me.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #54
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
I take it you did not read the warning from the mods about racial slurs on this thread did you.
Please no with the policing. Sometimes its good to hear people say it like it is. Forums shouldn't be any different than how people speak within their privacy.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #55
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Threads involving First Nations people have the inate ability to bring out the most ignorant and racist members of RS.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
Please no with the policing. Sometimes its good to hear people say it like it is. Forums shouldn't be any different than how people speak within their privacy.
I'm not policing anything,I'm just sick of hearing racial slurs and shit,can't we just have a decent discussion without someone bringing in the race card.

This is a private forum with it's own set of rules,not a public street corner where you would hang out with the friends and shoot the shit.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #57
Rs has made me the man i am today!

glad to see one of them caught. The day will come when we'll need life recorders on top of our accident recorders in our cars The sad part is that once all those towers go up near metrotown, crime rate is bound to increase
Old 05-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #58
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
I'll say it like it is.

My heritage is First Nations.

I have never stolen something in my life;
I have yet to make any babies;
I haven't enjoyed enough alcohol to actually be drunk in years;
I took a break from work and am living off savings while attending school, therefore I qualify for welfare but have not applied for it and have no intentions to.

Racism is not grounded in logic, it's just twisted ideas perpetuated by simple minded people.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #59
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
What a bunch of low life phaggots
Old 05-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #60
kwy

Quote:
I'm not policing anything,I'm just sick of hearing racial slurs and shit,can't we just have a decent discussion without someone bringing in the race card.

This is a private forum with it's own set of rules,not a public street corner where you would hang out with the friends and shoot the shit.
It's not private at all. I agree with the rest of what you said though.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #61
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Good for you as an individual.. however the fact is based on statistics.. first nations population is disproportionately represented in the prison population. Another one from GofC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I'll say it like it is.

My heritage is First Nations.

I have never stolen something in my life;
I have yet to make any babies;
I haven't enjoyed enough alcohol to actually be drunk in years;
I took a break from work and am living off savings while attending school, therefore I qualify for welfare but have not applied for it and have no intentions to.

Racism is not grounded in logic, it's just twisted ideas perpetuated by simple minded people.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #62
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Threads involving First Nations people have the inate ability to bring out the most ignorant and racist members of RS.
i dont think it's limited to first nations. i've seen numerous threads from gang related activity to driving, where the actions are from east indians, asians, and white people and you hear all the stereotypical comments come out.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #63
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
I saw this on the news made my blood boil it was great to see those standing by try and chase the thieves down even a senior was after them

Was trying to get into contact with someone so that I could get this girl a new ipad and was told that many have done the same already good to see and hear people stepping up to help.

As for the remarks about the ethnicity of the thieves it's really very stupid and telling of the ignorance of those posters; even if you want to point out like godwin above me about aboriginals within prison populations the situation isn't that simple... you can't simply look at the end result and paint an entire picture there are years of issues, disenfranchisement, etc which has resulted in their current state and no one is addressing it they're simply harping upon the results and that doesn't solve anything.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
It's not private at all. I agree with the rest of what you said though.
RS is not a publicly owned website,it's owned by a few people and therefore it's a private site.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #65
G'd up! w000weee

So far, one of them has been arrested:
Suspect arrested in SkyTrain iPad robbery - British Columbia - CBC News
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #66
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Good for you as an individual.. however the fact is based on statistics.. first nations population is disproportionately represented in the prison population. Another one from GofC.
As stated by StylinRed, you cannot simply read the current statistics without recognizing the centuries of policies that produced the unfortunate state the First Nations community now finds itself in. No one is fighting harder to improve the state of First Nations communities than the people themselves, but healing an entire community cannot occur overnight.

The statistics and facts behind them aside, you're helping to defend a blanket statement that repeatedly refers to First nations people using a racial slur, and makes outrageous racist claims. I'm not sure what would motivate you to do something so foolish, other than you possessing underlying racist views yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i dont think it's limited to first nations. i've seen numerous threads from gang related activity to driving, where the actions are from east indians, asians, and white people and you hear all the stereotypical comments come out.
Truth, it's saddening. If only people would learn to judge individuals based solely on their actions, the world would be a better place.

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-16-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #67
kwy

Quote:
RS is not a publicly owned website,it's owned by a few people and therefore it's a private site.
Anyone can sign up for it. Anything and everything you post on the internet is NOT private. Never assume that it is.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #68
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Wow! What fucking assholes for taking advantage of someone like that. I hope they get what's coming to them.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #69
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
lol'd at platinum300's comment
Old 05-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #70
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
So I think we need to clear up a couple points:

The forum is publicly viewable; the site is google indexed, and you don't need an account to lurk. That having been said, posting on this forum is subject to the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you signed up for the forum; some of those conditions are rules of conduct: things you should and should not do when posting on this site.

You are absolutely welcome to say whatever the hell you want; we (as mods) are also just as welcome to edit, modify, delete or give "infractions" (commonly known as points) for individual posts which do not adhere to what we might loosely call the "standard of conduct" that is expected on this site. We (as mods) are also welcome to ban members, both temporarily and permanently, whose conduct does not fit with the atmosphere we want to create in this community.

To those who are currently stereotyping all people based on their (dis)proportional representation of a certain population, I would recommend that you remember that all people are individuals, both yourself and they. It is precisely this attitude which has resulted in many people (both Aboriginal and non) turning to crime as either a first or a last resort in order to support themselves. The more you discriminate based on these factors, the more likely it is that you will one day discriminate against someone who does not fall into the subset you are targetting; and at some point they may end up being pushed away simply because of the way that they have been treated. A self-fulfilling prophecy, if you will.

For the record, in this thread a total of 72 points have been given out, as well as a total of 90 days worth of bans (60 of those points and all 90 days of bans were done by me). I have little tolerance for bullshit. For those people who continue to profess the "right" to spew their self-righteous racist bullshit, I welcome you to start your own local site on which to do it, or feel free to find one of the many anti-[insert-race-here] boards that undoubtedly exist somewhere in the cesspools of the dregs of the interwebs.

I would really rather not have RevScene full of the same content which could easily be found on Stormfront. To those of you who would, the logout button is to the right and up at the top.

Good day to you all.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #71
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
for those speaking about the reaction of bystanders

a senior was actually seen in the security footage trying to chase the two down but he didn't seem that able bodied himself

and according to the news there were 2 other passengers that gave chase after attending to the victim
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #72

I think this is an important conversation to have on Revscene, since the majority of the population are immigrants or immediate parents are immigrants.

So what you are saying that the facts and the statistics are not true? that's why you set them aside?

How would you frame this incident along with ones like Del Louie, Darnell Pratt? into something that everyone can can understand, especially race was deemed a factor on the leniency of the sentencing of the later 2 cases?

Now would you agree
Quote:
If only people would learn to judge individuals based solely on their actions, the world would be a better place.
The judges would have thrown the book at them if not the first time? at least 2nd time for skipping parole?

Quote:
As stated by StylinRed, you cannot simply read the current statistics without recognizing the centuries of policies that produced the unfortunate state the First Nations community now finds itself in. No one is fighting harder to improve the state of First Nations communities than the people themselves, but healing an entire community cannot occur overnight.

The statistics and facts behind them aside, you're helping to defend a blanket statement that repeatedly refers to First nations people using a racial slur, and makes outrageous racist claims. I'm not sure what would motivate you to do something so foolish, other than you possessing underlying racist views yourself.

Truth, it's saddening. If only people would learn to judge individuals based solely on their actions, the world would be a better place.

Last edited by godwin; 05-16-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #73
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
I think this is an important conversation to have on Revscene, since the majority of the population are immigrants or immediate parents are immigrants.

So what you are saying that the facts and the statistics are not true? that's why you set them aside?

How would you frame this incident along with ones like Del Louie, Darnell Pratt? into something that non First Nations people can understand, especially race was deemed a factor on the leniency of the sentencing of the later 2 cases?
Those with racist views frequently express the idea that all First Nations people are alcoholics, drug addicts, criminals, live on welfare and are generally unproductive scum. You've chosen to defend those statements using the statistical fact that First Nations people are disproportionately incarcerated, a fact which I have made no attempt to dispute or set aside despite your assertions. The majority of First Nations people are productive, contributing members of society; the statistics do not support the greatly exaggerated sentiments held by racists which you have come to the defense of, but merely that the First Nations community has standing issues within it. Furthermore, as stated clearly in my prior post, the First Nations community is actively engaged in healing itself. For more than a century attending residential schools was mandatory, the last residential school did not close till 1996. Residential schools, among other examples of racist policies, severely injured the First Nations community and led to it's current state. The damage was not done overnight and it will not be undone overnight, but significant progress is being made.

I posted my views on lenient sentences earlier in this thread, please refer to that post.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #74

Okay how would you recommend to promote / induce reformation in a system that is not built on reform? while those who undergo incarceration, blatantly flaunt the system? What is the First Nation is doing in regards to that, and more importantly what the rest of the society could do actively besides saying it is a good idea? Remember the current majority gov is building more prisons while our crime rate is actually down. Yes I understand the trauma and the healing will take eons, I sense there is no clear directive or indication where steps either individually or as a collective, citizens and society can do?

The problem I have with your previous quote: "You've chosen to defend those statements using the statistical fact that First Nations people are disproportionately incarcerated, a fact which I have made no attempt to dispute or set aside despite your assertions". is in your post you did say "The statistics and facts behind them aside"

The problem I have is I didn't express "Those with racist views frequently express the idea that all First Nations people are alcoholics, drug addicts, criminals, live on welfare and are generally unproductive scum.", you said that. It would be beneficial if you can help us to bridge the dichotomy?

Quote:
I find it unfortunate that aboriginal status is taken into consideration at sentencing. I understand the reasoning that a disadvantaged background may have contributed to the offenders actions and therefore they should be entitled to a lesser punishment, but the judicial system should not be focused on punishing people, but rather reforming them. Allowing someone who has been convicted of a crime to walk free will do nothing to reform them. In the long run, this type of affirmative action hurts the First Nations community.

I posted my views on lenient sentences earlier in this thread, please refer to that post.

Last edited by godwin; 05-16-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #75
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Okay how would you recommend to promote / induce reformation in a system that is not built on reform? while those who undergo incarceration, blatantly flaunt the system? What is the First Nation is doing in regards to that, and more importantly what the rest of the society could do actively besides saying it is a good idea? Remember the current majority gov is building more prisons while our crime rate is actually down.
In my opinion, the prison system is torn between two purposes and achieves little as a result. On one side, the prison system is designed to punish offenders through exerting misery; on the other side, the prison system attempts to reform offenders and steer them on a new path. Offenders actively engaged in a criminal career accept and expect the intermittent misery of prison, and thus it is ineffective against dissuading them from committing crimes upon release. An approach purely designed to reform offenders by giving them the desire to not offend again would be more effective. A successful reform progress would work to identify what specifically motivated the offender to commit crime, and redirect the motivation towards something more productive. For example, if the offender was convicted of petty crimes committed to fuel a drug/alcohol addiction then outreach programs post-release to help the person maintain sobriety would be beneficial. I choose the petty crimes to fuel a drug/alcohol addictions example, because that's why many First Nations people are incarcerated. Almost every First Nations community is actively engaged in combating drug and alcohol addiction, since it is recognized as the most pervasive cause of the problems. Many reserves are dry and have very active community outreach programs to combat addiction and break the cycle that has been passed down through generations now, lowering addiction rates will lower crime rates.

As a society, I would like the entire prison system to shift it's focus towards reformation over punishment. What I would like society to do specifically in regards to the First Nations community, would be to drop the racist stereotypes that all natives are untrustworthy, alcoholics, or welfare dependents and to judge an individual based on their actions alone. Those attitudes do nothing but hurt a clean, hard working, First Nations person.

Quote:
The problem I have with your previous quote: "You've chosen to defend those statements using the statistical fact that First Nations people are disproportionately incarcerated, a fact which I have made no attempt to dispute or set aside despite your assertions". is in your post you did say "The statistics and facts behind them aside"
I set the statistics aside only after recognizing the unfortunate state the First Nations community currently finds itself in, I do not dispute them. I set the accurate statistics aside to address the fact you (or it appeared to me as if you intended to) chose to defend the racist and frankly ridiculous post made by platinum300.

Quote:
The problem I have is I didn't express "Those with racist views frequently express the idea that all First Nations people are alcoholics, drug addicts, criminals, live on welfare and are generally unproductive scum.", you said that. It would be beneficial if you can help us to bridge the dichotomy?
Refer to above. You appeared to be offering support for the statements made by platinum300 in your initial post. If you were not, you have my sincere apologies.
Closed Thread