REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coffee actually help you live longer! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/668136-coffee-actually-help-you-live-longer.html)

ilovebacon 05-17-2012 06:50 AM

coffee actually help you live longer!

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/363749--coffee-can-help-you-live-longer-study?cid=dlvr.it

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Whether you are having it double-double, espresso, iced or decaf, a massive study out of Harvard University has found coffee drinkers are more likely to live longer.

Some people say they can't function without coffee in the morning. It's that jolt of energy that helps to get you moving.

Now, researchers say drinking two to three cups of coffee a day cuts the overall risk of death by 10 per cent, especially from heart disease, respiratory problems, stroke, diabetes and infections.

The helpful antioxidants in coffee get most of the credit, along with about 1,000 other compounds besides the caffeine.

The study involved more than 400,000 people monitored over a 13-year period. The entire study can be found in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Nvasion 05-17-2012 07:12 AM

YES im saved!

unit 05-17-2012 07:16 AM

jeez that is one pretty large study!
i drink a cup every morning.

GLOW 05-17-2012 07:18 AM

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg...x36wo1_500.jpg

TheNewGirl 05-17-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 7921131)
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/363749--coffee-can-help-you-live-longer-study?cid=dlvr.it

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Whether you are having it double-double, espresso, iced or decaf, a massive study out of Harvard University has found coffee drinkers are more likely to live longer.

Some people say they can't function without coffee in the morning. It's that jolt of energy that helps to get you moving.

Now, researchers say drinking two to three cups of coffee a day cuts the overall risk of death by 10 per cent, especially from heart disease, respiratory problems, stroke, diabetes and infections.

The helpful antioxidants in coffee get most of the credit, along with about 1,000 other compounds besides the caffeine.

The study involved more than 400,000 people monitored over a 13-year period. The entire study can be found in the New England Journal of Medicine.

I want to know if they corrected for socio-economic factors. This is a correlational study not a causal study and often where those fall apart is when they fail to account for the factors that go along with people who can AFFORD to drink a cup or more of coffee again, as well as the life style choices that lead to coffee consumption.

Adds: The full study can be found here: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...featured_home&

It doesn't give any details regarding subject selection or how certain factors were corrected for besides age and preexisting diseases and removing the factors of smoking.

What you can take from this then is not that the coffee it self leads to a longer life but that the life style that promotes non smoking men in their 50s to 70s to drink coffee does.

drunkrussian 05-17-2012 07:31 AM

yes! now i can justify my extreme coffee habits!

InvisibleSoul 05-17-2012 08:11 AM

Black coffee is good for you. It's the sugar and cream that isn't.

hotjoint 05-17-2012 08:49 AM

i drink coffee approx 2 times a year :lol

shawnly1000 05-17-2012 09:01 AM

$1 iced coffees at McDonalds ftw! :fullofwin:

ilvtofu 05-17-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7921142)
I want to know if they corrected for socio-economic factors. This is a correlational study not a causal study and often where those fall apart is when they fail to account for the factors that go along with people who can AFFORD to drink a cup or more of coffee again, as well as the life style choices that lead to coffee consumption.

Adds: The full study can be found here: MMS: Error

It doesn't give any details regarding subject selection or how certain factors were corrected for besides age and preexisting diseases and removing the factors of smoking.

What you can take from this then is not that the coffee it self leads to a longer life but that the life style that promotes non smoking men in their 50s to 70s to drink coffee does.

I don't think financial status really affects it since the study was of AARP members whom I assume can all easily afford a cup of coffee a day if they wanted to, a drip coffee brewer costs next to nothing nor does a months supply of folgers and coffee filters, its not like they are studying starbucks customers who can afford several $5 lattes everyday. Not disagreeing that it isn't definitive causational proof but I don't agree with the financial argument of correlation. There are so many proven detrimental effects of caffeine that I don't really know what to think :/

TheNewGirl 05-17-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 7921267)
I don't think financial status really affects it since the study was of AARP members whom I assume can all easily afford a cup of coffee a day if they wanted to, a drip coffee brewer costs next to nothing nor does a months supply of folgers and coffee filters, its not like they are studying starbucks customers who can afford several $5 lattes everyday. Not disagreeing that it isn't definitive causational proof but I don't agree with the financial argument of correlation. There are so many proven detrimental effects of caffeine that I don't really know what to think :/

Yes. But a portion of the "coffee drinking" group ARE people who can afford a $6 latte a day that's why it's always important to account for all demographic issues in a study like this.

Further they didn't break it down and look at what kind of coffee a person is consuming. It could be that the latte drinking folks are getting milk in their diet via their coffee which the other group isn't. Or that the non coffee drinking population includes a lot of people with non resitricted health or medication issues that are exaserbated by coffee drinking and thus that's the reason they don't drink coffee AND the reason they had higher mortality rates. It could be a mental outlook issue where in the coffee drinkers are people who continue to be active and that's why they need the coffee while the non coffee drinkers aren't. Are some of the older coffee drinkers drinking decaf? Does that count for the purposes of this study?

Those sorts of things bug the hell out of me. Cause now all over the news is 'Coffee is good for you' when that's not at all what this study proves. In reality as a correlation study it doesn't prove anything, it just indicates that a group of people who have the shared trait of drinking coffee also have the shared trait of living slightly longer.

unit 05-17-2012 11:26 AM

basically the study is saying that coffee drinkers get their regular share of antioxidants, and the average non coffee drinker does not.
if antioxidants are good for you and coffee is loaded with them then coffee has some positive benefits to your health.

Gridlock 05-17-2012 12:43 PM

Ha...coffee helps those around me live longer.

AzNightmare 05-17-2012 02:01 PM

This is good news for me, because I'm a heavy coffee drinker.
I hope it's true though, but I can bet another new study will show up countering this study soon.

1exotic 05-17-2012 02:05 PM

Need to start drinking coffee

FerrariEnzo 05-17-2012 11:56 PM

is this study done on fresh ground beans same day, coffee grinds you buy in cans or is instant coffee the same????

JSALES 05-18-2012 12:12 AM

kinda glad to hear that since I need to have my coffee at work every morning

TheKingdom2000 05-18-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7921994)
is this study done on fresh ground beans same day, coffee grinds you buy in cans or is instant coffee the same????

Coffee has a high amount of anti-oxidants + other chemicals that I assume the study is concluding that helps you live longer. ie. because these chemicals help the cells in your body stay alive longer without being damaged. Therefore, cells that have a longer half life = good (in most regards anyway). Less turnover = less chance of mutation.

And some theorize that cells have an inherent genetic clock and longevity and that cell replication is limited.
Which has been shown in tortoises, their cell half life is almost 2x longer than in human cells. Which is why they live longer.
Similarly with rats, their cell half life is about 3-4x less than humans. And as some may know, their life expectancy is far less than a human.

Like anything, fresher is better. Overtime, coffee beans like any other organic material will lose it's nutrional value over time.
One would think that fresh ground coffee has the highest concentration of anti-oxidants/chemicals. And I would assume instant coffee has the least amount.

I think this study is similar to the one they did about people in the east, ie. in china who drink a lot of tea. Their overall health and life expectancy is good. And since coffee and tea have similar properties I can see this being plausible.