REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
coffee actually help you live longer!

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/363749--coffee-can-help-you-live-longer-study?cid=dlvr.it

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Whether you are having it double-double, espresso, iced or decaf, a massive study out of Harvard University has found coffee drinkers are more likely to live longer.

Some people say they can't function without coffee in the morning. It's that jolt of energy that helps to get you moving.

Now, researchers say drinking two to three cups of coffee a day cuts the overall risk of death by 10 per cent, especially from heart disease, respiratory problems, stroke, diabetes and infections.

The helpful antioxidants in coffee get most of the credit, along with about 1,000 other compounds besides the caffeine.

The study involved more than 400,000 people monitored over a 13-year period. The entire study can be found in the New England Journal of Medicine.
Advertisement
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

YES im saved!
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
jeez that is one pretty large study!
i drink a cup every morning.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/363749--coffee-can-help-you-live-longer-study?cid=dlvr.it

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Whether you are having it double-double, espresso, iced or decaf, a massive study out of Harvard University has found coffee drinkers are more likely to live longer.

Some people say they can't function without coffee in the morning. It's that jolt of energy that helps to get you moving.

Now, researchers say drinking two to three cups of coffee a day cuts the overall risk of death by 10 per cent, especially from heart disease, respiratory problems, stroke, diabetes and infections.

The helpful antioxidants in coffee get most of the credit, along with about 1,000 other compounds besides the caffeine.

The study involved more than 400,000 people monitored over a 13-year period. The entire study can be found in the New England Journal of Medicine.
I want to know if they corrected for socio-economic factors. This is a correlational study not a causal study and often where those fall apart is when they fail to account for the factors that go along with people who can AFFORD to drink a cup or more of coffee again, as well as the life style choices that lead to coffee consumption.

Adds: The full study can be found here: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...featured_home&

It doesn't give any details regarding subject selection or how certain factors were corrected for besides age and preexisting diseases and removing the factors of smoking.

What you can take from this then is not that the coffee it self leads to a longer life but that the life style that promotes non smoking men in their 50s to 70s to drink coffee does.

Last edited by TheNewGirl; 05-17-2012 at 07:29 AM.
TheNewGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #6

yes! now i can justify my extreme coffee habits!
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Black coffee is good for you. It's the sugar and cream that isn't.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

i drink coffee approx 2 times a year
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #9

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
$1 iced coffees at McDonalds ftw!
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
I want to know if they corrected for socio-economic factors. This is a correlational study not a causal study and often where those fall apart is when they fail to account for the factors that go along with people who can AFFORD to drink a cup or more of coffee again, as well as the life style choices that lead to coffee consumption.

Adds: The full study can be found here: MMS: Error

It doesn't give any details regarding subject selection or how certain factors were corrected for besides age and preexisting diseases and removing the factors of smoking.

What you can take from this then is not that the coffee it self leads to a longer life but that the life style that promotes non smoking men in their 50s to 70s to drink coffee does.
I don't think financial status really affects it since the study was of AARP members whom I assume can all easily afford a cup of coffee a day if they wanted to, a drip coffee brewer costs next to nothing nor does a months supply of folgers and coffee filters, its not like they are studying starbucks customers who can afford several $5 lattes everyday. Not disagreeing that it isn't definitive causational proof but I don't agree with the financial argument of correlation. There are so many proven detrimental effects of caffeine that I don't really know what to think :/
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
I don't think financial status really affects it since the study was of AARP members whom I assume can all easily afford a cup of coffee a day if they wanted to, a drip coffee brewer costs next to nothing nor does a months supply of folgers and coffee filters, its not like they are studying starbucks customers who can afford several $5 lattes everyday. Not disagreeing that it isn't definitive causational proof but I don't agree with the financial argument of correlation. There are so many proven detrimental effects of caffeine that I don't really know what to think :/
Yes. But a portion of the "coffee drinking" group ARE people who can afford a $6 latte a day that's why it's always important to account for all demographic issues in a study like this.

Further they didn't break it down and look at what kind of coffee a person is consuming. It could be that the latte drinking folks are getting milk in their diet via their coffee which the other group isn't. Or that the non coffee drinking population includes a lot of people with non resitricted health or medication issues that are exaserbated by coffee drinking and thus that's the reason they don't drink coffee AND the reason they had higher mortality rates. It could be a mental outlook issue where in the coffee drinkers are people who continue to be active and that's why they need the coffee while the non coffee drinkers aren't. Are some of the older coffee drinkers drinking decaf? Does that count for the purposes of this study?

Those sorts of things bug the hell out of me. Cause now all over the news is 'Coffee is good for you' when that's not at all what this study proves. In reality as a correlation study it doesn't prove anything, it just indicates that a group of people who have the shared trait of drinking coffee also have the shared trait of living slightly longer.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
basically the study is saying that coffee drinkers get their regular share of antioxidants, and the average non coffee drinker does not.
if antioxidants are good for you and coffee is loaded with them then coffee has some positive benefits to your health.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Ha...coffee helps those around me live longer.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
This is good news for me, because I'm a heavy coffee drinker.
I hope it's true though, but I can bet another new study will show up countering this study soon.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Need to start drinking coffee
Old 05-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
is this study done on fresh ground beans same day, coffee grinds you buy in cans or is instant coffee the same????
Old 05-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
kinda glad to hear that since I need to have my coffee at work every morning
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
is this study done on fresh ground beans same day, coffee grinds you buy in cans or is instant coffee the same????
Coffee has a high amount of anti-oxidants + other chemicals that I assume the study is concluding that helps you live longer. ie. because these chemicals help the cells in your body stay alive longer without being damaged. Therefore, cells that have a longer half life = good (in most regards anyway). Less turnover = less chance of mutation.

And some theorize that cells have an inherent genetic clock and longevity and that cell replication is limited.
Which has been shown in tortoises, their cell half life is almost 2x longer than in human cells. Which is why they live longer.
Similarly with rats, their cell half life is about 3-4x less than humans. And as some may know, their life expectancy is far less than a human.

Like anything, fresher is better. Overtime, coffee beans like any other organic material will lose it's nutrional value over time.
One would think that fresh ground coffee has the highest concentration of anti-oxidants/chemicals. And I would assume instant coffee has the least amount.

I think this study is similar to the one they did about people in the east, ie. in china who drink a lot of tea. Their overall health and life expectancy is good. And since coffee and tea have similar properties I can see this being plausible.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: