REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Crazy standoff in Kamloops ends in explosion - 1 dead

Woah!

7-hour standoff ends with explosions, death of suspect who took woman hostage - News1130

Quote:
KAMLOOPS, B.C. - Residents of a quiet Kamloops, B.C., neighbourhood are reeling after an armed man strapped explosives to himself and his van and barged into his ex-girlfriend's home, which exploded into flames before four children escaped.

Vern Reynolds, 79, said he heard a shot and saw 12 or 13 police cars with lights flashing outside a house where the suspect is presumed to have died after releasing the woman he'd held hostage for nearly seven hours.

"Shocking, shocking, shocking. That's what it is," Reynolds said Friday. "There is just disbelief, disbelief."

Simon Harry said the children took refuge in his home in the same cul-de-sac.

"I couldn't believe something like that was actually happening," Harry said. "My daughter was just in the house a half hour before it went down. I'm still trying to process everything."

RCMP Staff Sgt. Grant Learned said investigators couldn't get into the house Friday because the site was still too hot. They had planned to begin sifting through the rubble for the 48-year-old man's remains and evidence of the blasts that rocked the neighbourhood.

He praised the heroics of police and firefighters who worked in a dangerous and surreal situation that could have been much worse.

Bomb technicians risked their lives to prevent a pipe bomb from exploding and preventing fatalities in the immediate area, an emotional Learned told a news conference.

He said they also grabbed a propane tank and a gas cylinder from the approaching fire as flames ripped through the roof of the house.

Learned said the suspect took his former girlfriend hostage as three children were whisked out of the home by another man. A fourth child fled through a bedroom window.

"Negotiators learned that the man was still distraught over the breakup with his former girlfriend two years earlier," Learned said, adding he doesn't know if the man is the children's father.

He said the woman had twice called police after the suspect began leaving gifts outside her door.

"No one would have ever foreseen the results of last night, why someone would go to that extreme," he said.

"The emotional scars for the children, and the lady, will be long and deep. They've lost their home, they've lost everything. And there was a person who was, for a period of time, in their lives who also has been taken from them."

Learned said the suspect had contact with police in other areas for matters involving "emotional distress and emotional well-being."

Police evacuated 15 homes and contacted the suspect inside the home shortly as the drama unfolded, just after 5 p.m. Thursday, Learned said.

"The man told police that he had explosives wired to his body, that explosives were in the residence, that an explosive device was wired to the gas tank of his vehicle and that there was a second bomb in the (van)," he said.

"The suspect, who is an electrician by trade, provided specific details to the negotiator regarding how the explosives were wired and how he would be able to detonate the devices remotely."

The woman was released unharmed at midnight as the suspect continued speaking with a negotiator, but the phone line went silent about 10 minutes later, Learned said.

"Officers on the scene heard two rapid explosions erupt from within the house and a smoke detector alarm was set off," he said, adding flames began to spread.

However, fire crews stationed close to the home had to be kept at a safe distance because of the suspected bomb in the man's vehicle, Learned said.

After a third explosion from inside the house rattled neighbouring homes, RCMP bomb squad experts approached the van to assess the threat of explosives the man mentioned, he said.

"Through the windows of the vehicle they could see a series of wires leading from a switch attached to the driver's door and one set of wires attached to a metal pipe bomb on the vehicle console."

"In the back, they could see a five-gallon gas can and a 20-pound propane cylinder. The pipe bomb could not be safely neutralized in the vehicle, which was parked meters away from the burning home."

The risk of another explosion and flammable material inside the van meant firefighters had to fight the house fire from 100 meters away to keep it from spreading to other homes while dousing water on the vehicle to keep it cool, Learned said.

"Once the scene was stabilized, the bomb squad officers used a robot to safely remove and neutralize the explosive device," Learned said.

A second bomb attached underneath the vehicle was removed Friday morning.

"It's terribly sad," said neighbour Fred Bartlett.

"There are some really nice little children involved here and we often played with them on the cul-de-sac and one little boy (who) lives with us played with them often and this just ends horribly for everyone." (The Canadian Press, CFJC, CHNL)
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

god damn today's a weird day
greendb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
yeah heard about this too absolutely insane

they've been broken up for 2 years too
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
White people...
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
White people...
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Yeah when I heard about this from a friend who lived in the area I was pretty shocked, I live across town and nothing this serious has ever happened over here. Glad everyone in the immediate area was evacuated though, holy crap.
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
VLS Head Mod

Dufferin's pretty rough
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
nlo
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

what the...
nlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

the guys body is found now
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Two years and buddy still wasn't over it?
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Holy fucking shit. That's one of the crazier things I've heard about in recent memory.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Holy fucking shit. That's one of the crazier things I've heard about in recent memory.
there was another standoff in around the same area about a year or so back. That time everybody came out unharmed but unfortunately this was a more tragic event

so tragic the things people with a mental illness do
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
Two years and buddy still wasn't over it?
oneitis
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote