REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
maybe I should look for a corded drill and 20ft extension cord.
I use one on a reel. Makes life a lot easier.

Bayco Products FL-755PDQ 15' Retractable Quad-Plug Extension Cord Reel, Yellow at PlumberSurplus.com
Advertisement

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I can vouch for the Makita lithium cordless drills

In my past as an electrician, My 18v lithium makita has withstood some serious punishment, dropped on concrete from heights countless times, outdoors in the rain, basically used and abused on a daily basis.
Had it for almost 5 years, batteries are still good, and still drills through any type of shit you put in its way.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #28
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Again, unless your using the drill everyday, or in places where outlets are not accessible, cordless drills suck.

The are not good for drilling (lack of power/speed), they are usually heavier, and they become extinct in a few years if you're lucky enough not to have to replace the batteries (which are only marginally less than the drill itself).

There is a reason corded drills have virtually remained the same for the last 10-20 years, and cordless models are changing every year. That technology is getting better, but still has a ways to go.

Yes, the cordless drills look cooler, but if you're trying to look cool while putting together your IKEA bed, that's another matter.

Here is a good option for you...

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Ryobi-ZRD47CK-Corded-Variable/dp/B003ZDG10M/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1337492629&sr=1-7
Simple, powerful, good for drilling and driving. Can't argue with the price (its refurb).

Good luck.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #29
This title intentionally left blank MOD

I'm still using my Makita 14.4v driver/drill set that I got about 5 years ago. Batteries still going strong, tools still doing great.

You need to address your wants vs needs before you either
a) go overkill
b) get something unsuited to your needs
c) focus too much on the tool and not the drill accessories

I've not come across a job I haven't been able to do with my set.

You should be considering what kind of drill bits you're investing in, more than the actual tool. The best tool means nothing if the drill bits are shit.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #30
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,122 Times in 178 Posts
I have an 18v cordless Rigid and it's been amazing. It came as a kit with two batteries, the charger and carrying case, got it on sale at Home Depot years ago. The batteries last me quite a long time and since it came with two, I'm never without a charged battery. I got this one to replace the cheap Canadian Tire one I had. The batteries on the CT one would always be dead whenever I picked it up to use it. I also have a corded Makita and from looking at it, I would guess it's late 80's - early 90's. That thing is a workhorse and it has crazy torque, but for most around the house stuff I use the Rigid. In fact I used it today to put together a little dolly for taking my race tires out to the car, so I only have to make one trip instead of four.
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #31
HELP ME PLS!!!

makita 18v impact driver because the led light stays on for 10secs after the trigger is pressed.

dewalt and milwaukee doesnt have that function
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:05 AM   #32
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Was going to say the same thing.

Sure cordless is convenient but unless you really need it, get a corded tool. A lot of times, they're lighter too.
Technology in a corded tool hasn't changed in years. With Lithium you can get the run time and the performance you need from a cordless tool and you have the portability and convenience.
Cordless outsells corded...I don't see any reason to buy a corded drill.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
IMO unless you are using it everyday for work or something, a cordless drill is a bad idea.

I figured this out a number of years ago. Nothing is more annoying then getting ready to do a weekend project, and having a drill with dead batteries. So you charge them for a few hours, get halfway through the project before the battery dies again.

The hassle of plugging in the charger and keeping track of what battery is charged, and which needs to be is more than just plugging in the drill (which you can't do with a cordless).

Corded drills are cheap, light, always powerful, and if your doing something indoors there should always be an outlet around.
You obviously haven't used a high end cordless tool made in the last 10 years.

Modern cordless tool batteries have fuel gauges that tell you the level of charge. Li technology means that they maintain up to 90% of power and torque until fully discharged.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
We have had nothing but problems with our Milwaukee impact including the batteries themselves falling apart, also the Milwaukee impact has much less torque than the dew alt equivalent
Not true. Milwaukee's M18 impact has class leading torque. 650 in-lbs. The tool uses a brushless motor that will last longer, has less noise and is more efficient.

Milwaukee FUEL Hammer Drill | ToolGuyd

Quote:
Also nothing but problems with the rigid 18V lithium batteries maintaining a charge

I have no allegiance to any brands, this is just what I have experienced working in the construction industry working with many brands and tools
DeWalt made the benchmark Ni-Cd 18V platform in the 90's. In this decade, Milwaukee leads in Lithium tool technology.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #35
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I have used Milwaukee, makita and now I have dewalt. I use it every single day for living and I have to say out of the 3 I have never been happier as I have been with dewalt. If I use it for a living then for the occasional home use it should last forever!!!
accordpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #36
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Dewalt or Makita.

Period.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #37
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I thought ridgid owned ryobi not milwaukee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo E View Post
Buy Ridgid. Same company as Milwaukee. Lifetime warranty including batteries
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #38
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post
I'm still using my Makita 14.4v driver/drill set that I got about 5 years ago. Batteries still going strong, tools still doing great.

You need to address your wants vs needs before you either
a) go overkill
b) get something unsuited to your needs
c) focus too much on the tool and not the drill accessories

I've not come across a job I haven't been able to do with my set.

You should be considering what kind of drill bits you're investing in, more than the actual tool. The best tool means nothing if the drill bits are shit.

The drill bits i'll use are the cheap ones from canadian tire. My main purpose is to screw things in (ikea tables, tv mounts, lose cabinet bolts, lose fence bolts). My current drill cannot go through a piece of 2x4.

I think I need to do more research on the type of drill (hammer or impact) didn't know there were so many choices.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #39
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I've been using my Makita 18v drill/hammer combo and impact driver for the past 5 years and the batteries are still great. I use the bigger heavier Makita batteries, just so you know. When I'm using my impact putting up boxes and doing some light framing in a house I'll only need to charge it maybe once every 1-2 weeks. The cordless sawzall is also very good, but does drain the battery very fast. Most people on these jobsites will use Makita, probably because it's a good brand.

My company provides us with a Ridgid cordless. The batteries are crap and need to be constantly recharged. We've used it to drill out entire huge houses alone on cases when our hardwired drills die on us. The handle actually snapped in half and is now being held together with some electrical tape. Haha, pos but it gets the job done. The batteries are warrented, but you're not supposed to tell them that you use it for work.

Milwaukee has sparked my interest in the past with their very portable 12v range of drills and heated jackets. I might pick up in the next few years. They also have a 18v set and a 28v set. Holy shit 28v! I would love that.

In my personal opinion I believe if you're just some at home handy man who doesn't even use it every day then it doesn't really matter which one you buy since these things will usually crap out on you only if you beat on them. However, if you're like me and like toys I'd go with either a Makita or Milwaukee.

If you like to match shit because you like to things to be all fancy and pretty go with milwaukee, because they do produce higher quality metal drill bits and saw blades. Plus their color is red, which some people may find more pretty than Makita's blue. :P (I use their metal drill bits all the time and get weird comments because I'm using makita tools with their drill bits)

Makita might be more popular and easier to find replacement stuff off craigslist if you ever need to.

Last edited by Matlock; 05-20-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #40
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
I thought ridgid owned ryobi not milwaukee.
That was my understanding.

Ryobi is absolute crap. I bought a cheap mitre saw that doesn't stay accurate and a palm sander that doesn't stay together.

Neither gets used.

On another note, I have a great Ryobi mitre saw that I'd love to sell! Super accurate and top quality. Also selling a palm sander that is second to none.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #41
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
arent cordless drills weaker then corded drills..
Old 05-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #42

I like my makita, use it every day at work. I'd say a close 2nd would be Dewalt. I Had the ridgid drill/driver combo for a while but wasn't a big fan of the battery life. And I haven't tried milwaukee so I can't comment on those.

If you're just going to use it for the odd task here and there then any one of the major 4 brands will work for you, but if u want something that'll last and keep preforming go for a good one.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #43

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
arent cordless drills weaker then corded drills..
Yeah sure, but really you usually won't need a corded drill unless you're like me drilling out huge 2"+ holes through 6+ studs piled up together.

We have an old all metal milwaukee corded drill at work which is probably as old as me that will literally tear your arm off if your bit gets stuck and you're not paying attention. I don't think most people will need that much torque.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #44
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
makita 2 pack deal.

1 cordless drill
1 cordless impact dill

wait for it to go on sale, usually 299.99 or 279.99 price, and some packaged deal.

got mine during the kms tool sale. 279.99 + extra battery (3 batteries in total)

use the cordless drill for everyday home stuff, the impact drill when working on the car.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #45
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,306 Times in 5,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Not true. Milwaukee's M18 impact has class leading torque. 650 in-lbs. The tool uses a brushless motor that will last longer, has less noise and is more efficient.

Milwaukee FUEL Hammer Drill | ToolGuyd

DeWalt made the benchmark Ni-Cd 18V platform in the 90's. In this decade, Milwaukee leads in Lithium tool technology.
that is all nice and well on paper

but i do agree the brushless motor is a big upside as the brushes are usually what kill our tools
Old 05-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #46
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5-S View Post
Cordless are garbage, batteries only last a year before they crap out
Yet my cordless batteries have lasted me over 3 years and still running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo E View Post
Buy Ridgid. Same company as Milwaukee. Lifetime warranty including batteries
As mentioned in this thread earlier, Rigid is not the same company as Milwakee. Ridgid is a house brand of Home Depot. Not a bad brand, usually more affordable. I've bought Ridgid shop vacs and drills in the past but only because they were the more affordable options.

As far as I know, Milwaukee is amongst the best of the best in the power tools industry. Most electricians seek Milwaukee cordless tools; heavy duty, good performance and last forever. I have known people to have problems with battery performance with Milwaukee and their warranty on the battery is pro-rated. I'm pretty sure that's an industry standard for consumable items but many people started buying Rigid and Stanley because they weren't pleased with that. However, you won't need anything like that just to do odd jobs around the house.

I spent $300+ on a Black and Decker unit a few years back and although I've never had any problems with my drill yet, I feel dumb for spending that much money on a product that gets used to do small little jobs every now and then. If I were you, I'd spent about $150 tops and just pick up a DeWalt 18V unit.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #47
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
As mentioned in this thread earlier, Rigid is not the same company as Milwakee. Ridgid is a house brand of Home Depot. Not a bad brand, usually more affordable. I've bought Ridgid shop vacs and drills in the past but only because they were the more affordable options.
If I may expand slightly, Home Depot and other big box DIY stores do not sell tools identical to what you will find at a store which caters to commercial clients. A Dewalt drill purchased at Home Depot will often have a different model number than what would appear to be an identical unit purchased at KMS or a supply house. Superficially the two different models will appear identical, but internally the big box store models are lower quality to reduce build cost and maximize profit. For example; a drill purchased at KMS will have metal gearing, a drill from Home Depot will have plastic. The logic is that home owners buy the majority of tools big box stores sell and use them as much in a year as a trades person in a day, so no one will notice the sacrifice in quality/reliability.

The same rule applies to many products at Home Depot. The lumber sold at Home Depot would be rejected by an independent lumber yard, because it's the lowest grade they can get away with selling.

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-20-2012 at 04:01 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #48
I don't get it

Not a lot of people know this, but Panasonic makes wicked cordless power tools. Most of them are made in Japan too for that extra bit of JDM bling.

Definitely try out the tools for size and comfort before you buy, and like many have already mentioned, consider purchasing a corded unit unless you really need the added freedom from cordless. And just like when you're shopping for cars, take advertised numbers with a grain of salt.
JL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #49
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
The drill bits i'll use are the cheap ones from canadian tire. My main purpose is to screw things in (ikea tables, tv mounts, lose cabinet bolts, lose fence bolts). My current drill cannot go through a piece of 2x4.

I think I need to do more research on the type of drill (hammer or impact) didn't know there were so many choices.

honestly, whatever brand name drill you buy today will be more than sufficient to do what you described. For your type of jobs, I wouldn't even consider a corded drill. People say more power for corded drill. You know what? They are absolutely correct. In fact, they generate so much torque that it can break your arm if you hold it incorrectly. For around the house and yard work, a cordless drill is your best friend.

I don't think you realize how much technology for cordless drills have improved in the last 10 years. Even if you used a Ryobi, which in my opinion is a piece of shit, you would still realize a enormous difference. But I can bet for the stuff you do, you would be satisfied with it.

Just go out and take a look at the drills at the store. If you can afford it, get yourself a mini drill unless need the larger chuck. You don't need the hammer definately, and you can get by without the impact. Best case scenario, get a combo pack with a drill and impact drill, and you will have 2 batteries that you can interchange on 20 minute charges for about 170 bucks (Makita). I've been using makita lithium batteries daily for the last 3 years (25 hours a week estimate) and these batteries will last about 1.5 years and die after about 2. For your case, the battery would never wear out from overuse because you won't be able to push it. However, it may deteriote because of old age but would be pretty much the same as any battery and would probably be at least 6 years.
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #50
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Quote:
My main purpose is to screw things in (ikea tables, tv mounts, lose cabinet bolts, lose fence bolts). My current drill cannot go through a piece of 2x4.

fasteners + impact driver FTW. My good shitty 10 yr old NiMh 12V impact still drives a 1/4" lag bolt into SPF studs, the batts are starting to die.

The hammer drill is goodish for making holes in masonry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604nguyen View Post
I can vouch for the Makita lithium cordless drills

In my past as an electrician, My 18v lithium makita has withstood some serious punishment, dropped on concrete from heights countless times, outdoors in the rain, basically used and abused on a daily basis.
Had it for almost 5 years, batteries are still good, and still drills through any type of shit you put in its way.
^squared.

Get the combo driver/drill kit.

The Li batts excel. Beware charging <0 C batts.

When it comes to tools you really want best of breed. Cheap tools will piss you off.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote