REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #126
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Oh and if you haven't signed up for this contest yet, there's still a little bit more time to do so.

Go to Facebook and check out Hilti, they have their full line up of 18v tools up for grabs in a contest. I wish I could win it.
http://on.fb.me/Q8s1kf
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #127
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I would suggest a tool chuck vs a tooless.. especially if you have to drill in tight spaces.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #128
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
So I ended up going with:
DEWALT | DeWALT Heavy-Duty 3/8" VSR Pistol Grip Drill with Keyless Chuck | Home Depot Canada

It cost me $69.99 instead of the price shown on the site. ("Price and availability may vary by store.")

It would have been nice to get the Milwaukee one that's on sale for $59.99,
but I tried holding the one on display, and with the short handle,
I couldn't figure out how to pick up the drill without using the top two fingers to press down on the trigger every time.

I noticed many drills have a big trigger for two fingers. Is there an advantage of having a bigger trigger?
Seems like if the machinery inside is doing all the work, why would one need two fingers to push down the trigger?

Anyway, the drill seems to be good. I'll get a drill set another time, as I still have some drill bits lying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
I would suggest a tool chuck vs a tooless.. especially if you have to drill in tight spaces.
I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean key chuck vs keyless chuk?
What does that have to do with tight spaces?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 09-01-2012 at 03:08 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #129
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Oops yup.. keyless takes up more space in tight corners and since they are wider they can't be pushed in as far. The difference is noticeable when you are trying to run wires in attic etc.

Big trigger is designed for gloved hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean key chuck vs keyless chuk?
What does that have to do with tight spaces?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #130
Need to Seek Professional Help

Makita ftw.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #131
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Dewalt or Makita or nothing. Seriously if you're going to use it more than 10 times a year spend the extra cash and get something better.
You chose to fail me, despite no one failing you, why?

It's quite clear that you have limited experience with power tools, I'm not sure why you attempted to give advice on them.

Makita is good, but has been surpassed by Milwaukee at the mid-range level of power tools.

Dewalt has been at the bottom of professional grade tools for a long time.

There are multiple professional grade power tool brands: Festool, Hiliti, Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, Rigid, Dewalt; Why would you only consider Dewalt or Makita?

A homeowner using a power drill ten times a year, accumulates less total usage in that year than the majority of people giving advice in this thread do in an hour while working. Brands like Ryobi exist and are very successful because they suit a homeowners needs perfectly; so tell me, if a homeowner would not feel any limitation using a Ryobi drill, why should they spend more to buy a higher grade one?

if homeowners should not consider anything less than Makita or Dewalt, should I not consider anything less than Festool or Hilti?

Last edited by MindBomber; 09-01-2012 at 11:50 AM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #132
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
You chose to fail me, despite no one failing you, why?

It's quite clear that you have limited experience with power tools, I'm not sure why you attempted to give advice on them.

Makita is good, but has been surpassed by Milwaukee at the mid-range level of power tools.

There are multiple professional grade power tool brands: Festool, Hiliti, Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, Rigid, Dewalt; Why would you only consider Dewalt or Makita?

A homeowner using a power drill ten times a year, accumulates less total usage in that year than the majority of people giving advice in this thread do in an hour while working. Brands like Ryobi exist and are very successful because they suit a homeowners needs perfectly; so tell me, if a homeowner would not feel any limitation using a Ryobi drill, why should they spend more to buy a higher grade one?

if homeowners should not consider anything less than Makita or Dewalt, should I not consider anything less than Festool or Hilti?
I never failed you bud.

Edit: WTF i don't remember failing you? Freakin RS mobile man......

Sorry man genuine mistake didnt mean to fail you. Removed it.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #133
Wanna have a threesome?

Oh, okay cool. I'll reciporcate and remove my fail later, on mobile atm.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #134
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Pretty much since they got bought by Black & Decker and became little more than B&D in a different color scheme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #135
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
As far as my hands on use, the dewalt impact/drill combo beats anything home depot sells besides the Milwaukee brushless stuff, they feel the sturdiest and the best IMO
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #136
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
I never failed you bud.

Edit: WTF i don't remember failing you? Freakin RS mobile man......

Sorry man genuine mistake didnt mean to fail you. Removed it.
Calling bullshit.

Simply on the fact that you can't fail/thank or even see fail/thanks on RS mobile.
Both the app and the mobile version.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #137

Nigga u owned
Old 09-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #138
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Calling bullshit.

Simply on the fact that you can't fail/thank or even see fail/thanks on RS mobile.
Both the app and the mobile version.
I was using UAFaker on my iphone bud. So it was the desktop version of RS on a mobile device

LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #139
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
So when a drill bit is coated "X" material?
Is that the same as when they say Titanium drill bit, Cobalt drill bit, etc.

Or is "coated" like a marketing trick?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #140
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

^^Just buy Milwaukee accessory bits. They are the best. They are usually made in the US or Germany.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #141

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
^Milwaukee has 2 types of qualities for their drill bits + sawzall blades. Once in a while home depot will have a "special" where the bits or blades are much cheaper and those ones are usually the shittier versions. You have to look inside to see if they are different from the usual ones.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #142
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
So when a drill bit is coated "X" material?
Is that the same as when they say Titanium drill bit, Cobalt drill bit, etc.

Or is "coated" like a marketing trick?
No, and no.

Drill bits are coated to inexpensively increase heat resistance, but the coatings wear off or are ground off when sharpened. I suppose, Canadian Tire selling sets of 'titanium' bits is somewhat using the coating as a marketing tool; overall though, coatings have a purpose in the market and will improve the quality of any bit to a degree.

What really differentiates the quality of bits is the material they are made from. Cheap bits are low carbon steel, decent bits are high carbon steel, good bits are high speed steel, very good bits are cobalt, tungsten carbide core bits are good as well, you can get solid tungsten carbide bits but they're extremely expensive machining bits; I could go on for a long time, but you get the idea.

Buy individual Milwaukee bits as you need them. Do not get tempted by one of Canadian Tires 7 million piece kits of low carbon, titanium nitride coated bit sets, because 99% of them will never be of any use and they're low quality.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #143
I STILL don't get it

Anyone have any experience with Ridgid power tools? Looking to see what I can expect from my 18V drill/impact set in the long run, even though there is the lifetime warranty on them.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuHua View Post
Anyone have any experience with Ridgid power tools? Looking to see what I can expect from my 18V drill/impact set in the long run, even though there is the lifetime warranty on them.
I had the 18v drill/impact driver combo, the power was alright from them but both of the batteries stopped working about a year into them. This was the first set of lithium ion batteries that came out so hopefully in the newer versions they've fixed those problems.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #145
Wanna have a threesome?

IMO. Makita and Dewalt, and, Rigid and Ryobi, are pretty close.

Festool > Hilti > Milwaukee > Bosch > Makita > Dewalt > Rigid > Ryobi > Hitachi > MasterCraft > Black and Decker > Panasonic > Jobmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuHua View Post
Realllyyyy hard to answer that question. Depends amount of use, type of use, etc...

Last edited by MindBomber; 09-03-2012 at 06:54 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #146
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Milwaukee 18V Li-Ion 3pc Combo Kit [MILW-269123 ] - $219.95 : KMS Tools & Equipment from Vancouver BC, Selling quality tools at affordable prices all over Canada. Largest powertool, handtool and woodworking machinery retailer in Canada.

What do you guys think? I just ordered it last night. Plan on using it for automotive related applications at work
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #147
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
That's a pretty screamin' deal for Milwaukee. The drill alone I think normally goes for $200 or $250.

As far as Ridgid, I picked up their 12V cordless multi-tool and some extra heads for it, it's been working pretty well... grabbed the 12V driver/flashlight combo as well, that drill has pretty much replaced my oooooold 14.4V Milwaukee - doesn't have the battery life in heavy usage, but keeps up with it power-wise, at a fraction of the size and weight.

^Got the impact driver and jigsaw head for it... next will probably be the drill head, maybe the sabre saw.

One neat thing we found: my coworker has an extensive collection of Ryobi One+ tools, including their multi-tool of the same design... the Ridgid and Ryobi heads are interchangeable, so if I ever need more juice out of the jigsaw, I can just snap it on his 18V motor

The one thing unique to Ridgid: LIFETIME WARRANTY ON THE BATTERIES.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Power-Tool-Warranty

Quote:
WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT: The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGIDŽ Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGIDŽBrand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGIDŽ Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the original owner. This Lifetime Service Agreement does not apply to other RIDGIDŽ Brand products
http://lumberjocks.com/SeaQuest/blog/27189
Quote:
I decided to try something different. Ridgid “claimed” that their lifetime warranty would cover batteries on cordless tools. I took the plunge and bought a Ridgid cordless drill and have used it faithfully for the past 6 years. It’s been getting tired and doesn’t hold a charge for long so I decided it was time to see if this “Lifetime Warranty” was legit or just marketing hype. I called the Ridgid service centre and was told to bring in the drill as well as batteries and charger. I left it with them for a few days and am now home with my drill, completely rejuvinated due to two brand new batteries that cost me nothing and were replaced without hassle and no questions asked. Very cool!! I will never buy any other brand of cordless tool because of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #148

Thanked 5,380 Times in 857 Posts
Bump back up - looking for a cordless drill for the father. Any thoughts on this one?

Seems like a pretty good deal for $219.95 given the specs.

Makita 18V Lithium Ion 2pc Combo Kit [MAK-LCT200] - $219.95 : KMS Tools & Equipment from Vancouver BC, Largest selection of tools in Canada
Old 11-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #149

I got that same makita combo for $189 a while back, it's awesome great batteries and mine has seen heavy use so far, very happy with it
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #150

Thanked 5,380 Times in 857 Posts
Awesome, thanks. Any idea if there will be any major sales for tools in the next little while? It's going to be a Christmas gift so there's no rush to get one, yet.