REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   dell financing (https://www.revscene.net/forums/668293-dell-financing.html)

doritos 05-20-2012 05:15 PM

dell financing

Has anyone had experience financing an alien ware PC from them? What r the pros and con?

TheKingdom2000 05-20-2012 06:19 PM

My grade 11 English teacher once told the class...
If you can't afford it now. What makes you think you'll be able to pay it off in 12-24 months?

Granted, this isn't necessarily true. But, in a lot of cases it is.
Just save up the money and buy it when you have enough.

604nguyen 05-20-2012 06:41 PM

^ luckily Dell does offer 0 interest financing
so it might be a good way for struggling college students to afford a pc

but to be honest, its better off to build your own rig

doritos 05-20-2012 07:11 PM

Yeah, I know is better to just pay in full. I have enough money, just rather do monthly payments. I like alien ware laptops because they are always upgradeable and the way they are built is very easy to open and replace parts.

TheKingdom2000 05-20-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604nguyen (Post 7924039)

Interesting. Well I guess that sweetens the deal.
There doesn't seem to be many cons then...

Gh0stRider 05-20-2012 08:33 PM

0 interest is only available for certain laptop/systems not everything

Quote:

6 months No Interest on purchases of $699 or more
12 months No Interest on purchases of $1299 or more
Make sure to choose Dell Financial Services as your payment option to qualify
No administration fees, no down payments required

Tim Budong 05-20-2012 10:03 PM

This is the thing, many people might have the money to do this all at once, but why not do this to build some credit, 6months is short term, but if done RESPONSIBLY, there isn't really any WRONG reason

murd0c 05-20-2012 10:13 PM

The thing with Dell and even the Brick is if you don't pay it off before the time is up all the interest is added on for that whole previous year or how ever long you had it interest free. If you know you will pay it off great but stay away you are better off saving up in the long run.

tiger_handheld 05-20-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 7924013)
My grade 11 English teacher once told the class...
If you can't afford it now. What makes you think you'll be able to pay it off in 12-24 months?

Granted, this isn't necessarily true. But, in a lot of cases it is.
Just save up the money and buy it when you have enough.

true for consumer goods i guess.
one would never be able to own a house with that advise though.

too_slow 05-20-2012 11:59 PM

Not sure with Dell, but (s*itty) places like FS/WorstBuy has a $99admin fee with the finance plan. If you were to buy a $1000 PC, you are basically paying 10% interest..

Harvey Specter 05-21-2012 01:08 AM

Alienware is crap and way overpriced. Alienware systems have issues with the PSU, motherboards and in general isn't a good buy because you're basically paying for the name. It's much cheaper to source out the parts from ncix.com and build it yourself or have ncix put together for you for around $100. And I agree with the second poster, if you can't afford, don't buy it. You'll be paying $2000+ for the next few years for a computer that's going to be a paper weight in a years time.

As far as dealing with Dell, prepare yourself for unexpected BS from them if you trying to finance.

I tried to finance a laptop because it was no payments for 6 months or something, the idiots messed up my name and address, had that fixed so the order went through but the order was delayed because it was back-ordered. Three weeks go by and out of the blue they cancel my order for no apparent reason. I tried e-mailing and calling, couldn't get a proper response because their customer service is piss poor because all the calls are routed to India and they have no clue what's going on. I finally gave up because no could explain why my order was cancelled, I tried to re-order and they told me the no payment plan for that particular laptop model was over. Never again will I deal with Dell. I've had issues in the past as well.

belaud 05-21-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jah Dean (Post 7924350)
Alienware is crap and way overpriced. Alienware systems have issues with the PSU, motherboards and in general isn't a good buy because you're basically paying for the name. It's much cheaper to source out the parts from ncix.com and build it yourself or have ncix put together for you for around $100. And I agree with the second poster, if you can't afford, don't buy it. You'll be paying $2000+ for the next few years for a computer that's going to be a paper weight in a years time.

As far as dealing with Dell, prepare yourself for unexpected BS from them if you trying to finance.

I tried to finance a laptop because it was no payments for 6 months or something, the idiots messed up my name and address, had that fixed so the order went through but the order was delayed because it was back-ordered. Three weeks go by and out of the blue they cancel my order for no apparent reason. I tried e-mailing and calling, couldn't get a proper response because their customer service is piss poor because all the calls are routed to India and they have no clue what's going on. I finally gave up because no could explain why my order was cancelled, I tried to re-order and they told me the no payment plan for that particular laptop model was over. Never again will I deal with Dell. I've had issues in the past as well.

$50 for assembly, $75 for a premium assembly, I would know :fullofwin:

As for alienware being garbage, not necessarily true any more for the upper models, but remains true for the low and mid end desktops. they have a big surcharge for having the name itself.

twitchyzero 05-21-2012 09:40 AM

I dont agree taht Alienware products are trash or overpriced...

but I do agree that their customer service is ABSOLUTELY garbage thanks to being outsourced, from my experience with dealing with them your calls get transferred couple times before you speak to the right person (if you dont buy system with them they still ask for a service tag ID...idiots that can only follow scripts) and they still end up messing up your requests.

Death2Theft 05-21-2012 10:21 AM

U going to finance your underwear and lunch next?

Truenosan 05-21-2012 01:40 PM

I financed my Dell PC through them. No interest for a year, and then I just paid off the remainder after the year. So I didn't lose anything to interest.

it's not a bad program, providing you can pay it off in time.

doritos 05-21-2012 01:48 PM

I'll e making 200 payments each month actually instead of 40. I'll pay it off in 5 months

murd0c 05-21-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doritos (Post 7924613)
I'll e making 200 payments each month actually instead of 40. I'll pay it off in 5 months

if thats the case do it then but don't forget to pay it off!!

Anjew 05-21-2012 01:59 PM

if you get a business line laptop, latitude, precision, vostro.. you will be getting business tech support which is not outsourced.

also the business line laptops are durable compared to the consumer counterparts

belaud 05-21-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjew (Post 7924623)
if you get a business line laptop, latitude, precision, vostro.. you will be getting business tech support which is not outsourced.

also the business line laptops are durable compared to the consumer counterparts

Their tech support consists of asking you is it on, is it plugged in, does it restart.

Because I experienced it first hand.

Anjew 05-21-2012 05:18 PM

they forgot to include the discrete video card with my laptop and so i called in and got it exchanged. The replacement had bad viewing angles and grainy quality and the guy at tech support was knowledgeable enough to show me where to find the panel hardware id and found out that there was 2 different panels that dell uses for that model laptop (LG, AUO). he was able to track down an LG panel and got another reconfigured and assembled with that specific panel.

however i'm generally able to cut through the initial bs

MaGNuM16 05-21-2012 05:22 PM

i was in the same boat as your looking to get a alienware computer, but instead i went with the asus g74. Probably the best bang for your book for high end laptops.

doritos 05-22-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truenosan (Post 7924607)
I financed my Dell PC through them. No interest for a year, and then I just paid off the remainder after the year. So I didn't lose anything to interest.

it's not a bad program, providing you can pay it off in time.

how long did it take them to build your computer and ship it to you? i've read that sometimes they take weeks and people end up cancelling the orders..

i-VTEC 05-22-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604nguyen (Post 7924039)

+1, build yourself a pc

you can get great deals on parts.

NCIX is having a warehouse sales like this coming weekend.

MelonBoy 05-22-2012 10:57 PM

Think about it this way..
Alienware is like Monster Cable of laptops.. Solid computers but way overpriced.
More or less your buying it for the brand in my opinion =P

You should check out Asus laptops.. I can say it is easily one of the best brands out there.
(Best warranty, Solid product, Great customer service from my experience)

(Btw ncix = WORST customer service ever.. id recommend going to Memory Express, they price match + WAY better customer service)

ImportPsycho 05-22-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doritos (Post 7924074)
Yeah, I know is better to just pay in full. I have enough money, just rather do monthly payments. I like alien ware laptops because they are always upgradeable and the way they are built is very easy to open and replace parts.

what do you mean by always upgradeable?
can you upgrade cpu/video card on Alienware laptops?:suspicious: