REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Help/advice needed 2006 g35

Hey guys,

So today my cd player stopped working. I put in a cd and it got jammed into the player. I got the cd out using some credit cards but now the player keeps saying eject cd but pressing any of the buttons does not help. It also started having a burning smell coming out of it so I assume the motor or something inside for the 6 disc changer is dead?

So now the debate of whether to get the stealership to replace it (which i was quoted 529 including one hour labor - but i think it will be more than one hour to replace) OR to get an aftermarket unit. The only thing is it looks like you have to get a dash kit and the ones I have seen look really cheap and even replace the air conditioning buttons above the radio.

Anways, any advice on how i can fix the stereo or a good place to go to get an aftermarket stereo installed? Any recommendations on an aftermarket stereo? I can't go on listening to only vancouver radio stations! I need to keep costs down as low as possible.

edit: should mention its a 2006 g35 coupe with NO navigation and I am out of warranty ):
Advertisement

Last edited by acurael; 05-25-2012 at 03:50 PM.
acurael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Not a mod

I had the same problem with my 05 G35 coupe. I still have warranty so it was covered. Apparently its a common issue. When I took it to Morrey Nissan they didnt even try to fix it; they said it needed to be replaced. Had it not been covered under warranty i would got an after market double din instead.
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Not to sure about your car, but Rosen makes a Nav OEM looking aftermarket unit for my corolla.

See if there is a company that manufactures something similar to this.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #4

who still plays CD nowadays? doesn't sound $500+ worth to replace it
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #5

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Get an aftermarket stereo, for $500 to fix a broken CD changer, I would tell the stealership to suck all the dicks.
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

everyone i know still plays cds

..but id rather go for a double din unit instead
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Try and find a used OEM unit? Post on the G35 message boards and see if someone has one?
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Bleeding from Anus for 14 years

go after market head unit. it wont be worth your time to get it fixed as it probably will break again. It's a very common problem as i have had to pull out a ton of the factory head units out before. The dash kit for the g35 is actually pretty nice in person, as i have installed a bunch of them. I would recommend pioneer, or jvc. Check out the sponsors on here.
CumDumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

DO NOT BUY A USED OEM UNIT. The same shit will happen again...trust me.
accordpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CumDumpster View Post
The dash kit for the g35 is actually pretty nice in person, as i have installed a bunch of them.
why dont you post a link to the dash kit that is pretty nice in person? OP said the one he/she looked at didnt look that nice, maybe word of mouth or a different one would change his/her decision
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

Here is the oem double din kit in my g with alpine screen. If ur going to go with aftermarket double din, spend the extra money on the oem dd kit and not the crappy metra kit. The difference in fit and finish is night and day.

88 CRX - Turbo AWD
03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged - Toy
03 Cummins 2500 - Tow Rig/ Money maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
think befro you type
Super Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
G'd up! w000weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dipper View Post
Here is the oem double din kit in my g with alpine screen. If ur going to go with aftermarket double din, spend the extra money on the oem dd kit and not the crappy metra kit. The difference in fit and finish is night and day.
For the 05 and up, they don't have the metra kits. It's all the good stuff. The metra kits for 03-04 was so cheap looking.
I used to have an 03, but I was too cheap to spend $$ on a OEM Jap kit

To the OP, I suggest buying a double din kit and installing an aftermarket unit in there. As other have mentioned above, the OEM BOSE audio unit is JUNK.
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #13

thanks for the responses so far. Definitely NOT the metra kit. thats the one i saw that looked like shit. Super dipper what year is your car? i have a 2006 and the buttons and air control button on mine is different so i don't think that will work.

I went to bestbuy and they were quoting like 779 plus all the install and harness crap could be upwards of 1300 plus the dash kit. Sounds crazy, but thats with navi built in. Im thinking maybe i should just buy my stuff from the states and then get it installed here. CD's are shit, you guys are right. Id rather just have a usb and put all my music on that (had that on my previous car). I wouldnt mind spending the money but i gotta figure out the cheapest method possible and still have it look good...wrong time for it to break!

I'm thinking of maybe just getting a deck without the NAVI to save costs. Not sure what deck is good though? any recommendations on brand and what would work best with the stock bose speakers? ppl in the stores know less than i do after a simple google seach..its sad. I did find some double din dash kits that are JDM for a skyline 350 gt that look similar to my stock, but looks like i have to ship from japan or something...argh. Gotta figure this out soon.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #14

what shop audio shop do you guys recommend me to go to? I feel lost going into future shop and best buy, taking advice from 15 year kids that may not even own cars...lol. I also don't want some hack job when they install it.. Looks somewhat complicated to take apart all the trim and console to get at the stereo (saw some youtube videos)
Old 05-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

My car is a 03. The price you got seems about right. I was around 1500 all said and done when I got my HU replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurael View Post
thanks for the responses so far. Definitely NOT the metra kit. thats the one i saw that looked like shit. Super dipper what year is your car? i have a 2006 and the buttons and air control button on mine is different so i don't think that will work.

I went to bestbuy and they were quoting like 779 plus all the install and harness crap could be upwards of 1300 plus the dash kit. Sounds crazy, but thats with navi built in. Im thinking maybe i should just buy my stuff from the states and then get it installed here. CD's are shit, you guys are right. Id rather just have a usb and put all my music on that (had that on my previous car). I wouldnt mind spending the money but i gotta figure out the cheapest method possible and still have it look good...wrong time for it to break!

I'm thinking of maybe just getting a deck without the NAVI to save costs. Not sure what deck is good though? any recommendations on brand and what would work best with the stock bose speakers? ppl in the stores know less than i do after a simple google seach..its sad. I did find some double din dash kits that are JDM for a skyline 350 gt that look similar to my stock, but looks like i have to ship from japan or something...argh. Gotta figure this out soon.

88 CRX - Turbo AWD

Quote:
think befro you type
Old 05-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #16
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

I'm on the island, but if I had to go anywhere on the mainland, I'd go see the boys at Sound good!

88 CRX - Turbo AWD

Quote:
think befro you type
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Do NOT ever go to any big box store, especially for install.

Get a double-din unit either from the states, or maybe even a used one locally. Try and source the OEM double-din kit for your year G, and take it to a reputable audio shop...

Soundsgood is a Revscene sponsor, maybe give them a call? Or try and get someone to just help you out - installing a deck isn't TOO hard.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #18
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
+1 for double din. For the money you were going to dump into another stock unit, might as well add a few more pennies on the dollar for an aftermarket.

PM me, I have someone who will do it for as low price as it gets. He's done many G35's.

G35/350z electronics are absolute garbage. I had either my G or Z's window motors, door actuators, headlights, dome lights, cd player, or wiper motors die.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #19

Wrathernaut's Double Din Shopping and Resource List - G35Driver

Found all the info and parts i need for the aftermarket option here. Might be useful for anyone else that runs into this problem.

Now I have to figure out how to get these parts, since it doesnt look like they ship to Canada. And i have to pick a deck.

I'll do a search on how to set up a box in point roberts maybe?
Old 05-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Please please PLEASE go see Mike (orgasm_donor) at SoundsGood before you go any further.

They're a sponsor, and will shock and awe your ass with pricing and service.

It's not a fluke they have a ton of happy, returning customers.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #21

mike did my install on my double din.

get the JDM kit if you can, honestly my metra kit isn't that bad lol, the buttons aren't as nice as the jdm one though, but everything works.

get a double din with bluetooth if your car doesn't already have it. IMO it's worth it.

i spent about $700-800 or so to get mine in.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #22

thanks for the help so far.

Anyone recommend a certain deck? I've started researching and so far the jvc kw-av60bt seems like a good deck (Im looking for bluetooth, usb/ipod connection - preferably front and rear). Seems like alot of ppl are having issues with kenwood decks and the clarity of the bluetooth.

Anyone order a car deck from amazon.com and ship it to canada? It states there could be some duties and they can't predict how much it can be? its about 100 dollars cheaper even with shipping. Not sure if its worth it if the duty charges would be super high
Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:

Anyone recommend a certain deck? I've started researching and so far the jvc kw-av60bt seems like a good deck (Im looking for bluetooth, usb/ipod connection - preferably front and rear). Seems like alot of ppl are having issues with kenwood decks and the clarity of the bluetooth.

Anyone order a car deck from amazon.com and ship it to canada? It states there could be some duties and they can't predict how much it can be? its about 100 dollars cheaper even with shipping. Not sure if its worth it if the duty charges would be super high
ship it to TSB shipping down in point roberts or hagens in blaine.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

I really like my alpine unit but if I had to do it over again, I'd look at the new pioneer units, they seem to pretty killer.

88 CRX - Turbo AWD

Quote:
think befro you type
Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #25

Quote:

the av60bt is cool because if you have an iphohne you can run Motion-x GPS off the screen instead of off your phone.

it also has a removable faceplate for security.

but i'd probably get a pioneer or alpine.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote