REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Please don't give the right of way if it's not yours... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/668544-please-dont-give-right-way-if-its-not-yours.html)

sebberry 05-25-2012 03:29 PM

Please don't give the right of way if it's not yours...

This one always gets people:

Google Maps

Here goes:

I was pulling out of the Safeway parking lot. Traffic from the left was clear, traffic from the right wasn't. As required by the lane markings, I pulled into the "waiting" zone and stopped just past the second arrow with my right signal on.

There were about 12 cars coming up from my right, facing a green light in the through lane. While facing the green light, one car stopped in the middle of the lane to let me over. I never take the right of way unless it's mine. I refused to make the lane change. You never know if they're planning on hitting you and claiming the insurance money. She honks, so does another car. She still has the green light and the right of way.

I'm not going to pull out from a stop in front of someone who has a green light. Just not going to do it.

Finally she goes, a couple more cars go by and then another one stops to let me into the lane. Once again, the through lane still has the green light and the driver in it has the right of way.

Sometimes people are too polite - but come on - don't stop in the middle of the road, with a green light and several cars behind you. I'm perfectly fine, safe and legal waiting in the waiting zone for the lane to clear up.

Brianrietta 05-25-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7928377)
Here goes:

I was pulling out of the Safeway parking lot. Traffic from the left was clear, traffic from the right wasn't. As required by the lane markings, I pulled into the "waiting" zone and stopped just past the second arrow with my right signal on.

There were about 12 cars coming up from my right, facing a green light in the through lane. While facing the green light, one car stopped in the middle of the lane to let me over. I never take the right of way unless it's mine. I refused to make the lane change.

Right up until there I was pretty sure I was reading a Craigslist missed connections ad.

Nlkko 05-26-2012 02:37 PM

You are too paranoid. I always take it when people yield, after I waved them through and they waved me back. I waved again to thank, or if its really busy, I give a thumb up.

You're just pissing off nice people. Don't do that.

sebberry 05-26-2012 02:47 PM

I'm not paranoid. People shouldn't be stopping in the middle of the road to let someone in.

You wouldn't stop to let someone in from a driveway. You wouldn't stop to let them make a left turn in front of you. All you're doing is pissing off the people behind you.

GGnoRE 05-26-2012 02:52 PM

Yea, you shouldn't impede traffic by yielding unneccessarily. I'm pretty sure you get marks deducted for it on a driving test.

Nlkko 05-26-2012 03:25 PM

Ones shouldn't. But what's the point of having a back and forth? To make your point that you know the rule so well? In this case, you could have just move on with your life and there would be no commotion. She has already stopped to let you go. Move on.

Do you sometimes stop to let jaywalkers go? I'm sure many do. Same concept, isn't it? And nobody is being a bitch about it.

If I'm not in a hurry, I pulled over on one-ways to let people pass. Helping speeding? Helping people breaking the law? Sure. But I know what it feels like when you have to positively immediately get to somewhere, and the law-abiding citizen in front would go 45 on long stretch of one way.

Excelsis 05-26-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

You never know if they're planning on hitting you and claiming the insurance money.
:rofl:

Simnut 05-26-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 7929054)
You are too paranoid. I always take it when people yield, after I waved them through and they waved me back. I waved again to thank, or if its really busy, I give a thumb up.

You're just pissing off nice people. Don't do that.

Do you realize that IF you wave someone through...trying to be helpful...by stopping to let them in for instance, or stopping to let them make a corner and the car in the lane beside you hit them...........you can be held liable for the resulting accident?

I see TOO many cases where people THINK they are being helpful, but in their efforts...create DANGEROUS situations for both vehicles and pedestrians.

jlenko 05-26-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7929062)
I'm not paranoid. People shouldn't be stopping in the middle of the road to let someone in.

You wouldn't stop to let someone in from a driveway. You wouldn't stop to let them make a left turn in front of you. All you're doing is pissing off the people behind you.

The word is...

C-O-U-R-T-E-S-Y

I know it's rare, driving in Vancouver, for anyone to give others some courtesy. But it does happen.

xilley 05-27-2012 12:48 AM

fuck yielding from today on, I yield to a big lifted truck today. and the guy gives me a wtf hand sign.

I left a huge open space, and he thinks its too small or something.

PLUS he shouldve yield since he was the one that JUST turned in. mother fuckers.

sebberry 05-27-2012 11:27 AM

The problem when you give way is the uncertainty you create for other drivers.

You know when you're walking around a mall and you approach someone walking towards you and you do that little dance not quite knowing which side the other person will pass you on?

Similar thing here - I didn't have the right of way, so I was hesitant to take it. The other driver, seeing my reluctance to move, decides to proceed at the same time I decide to go, resulting in a fender bender. I'm not putting myself in a position where I'm likely to be involved in a collision.

Soundy 05-27-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7928377)
You never know if they're planning on hitting you and claiming the insurance money.

Just look for the sign: http://goo.gl/zIQuL

doma 05-27-2012 07:05 PM

sick google maps link

sebberry 05-27-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doma (Post 7930046)
sick google maps link

Google Maps

4nik8 05-27-2012 07:43 PM

in heavy traffic you could be waiting for a very long time. the person who let you in was probably very used to heavy traffic and letting people in. your kinda being a douche. I doubt the person who let you in would of been holding traffic if you had just gone when you seen them slowing for you. the fact that you didn't go causes such a hassle.

sebberry 05-27-2012 08:33 PM

Not that road. I'd have been waiting 15 seconds or so if the cars that had the right of way simply proceeded as they should have.

smoothie. 05-27-2012 08:38 PM

in this case, you're impeding traffic more by impeding the person impeding traffic for you.

cool story.

tool001 05-29-2012 03:59 PM

i had an accident in similar manner, going through lights, guy in front is stopped at green light to give way to somebody turning left (opposite side), i stop behind the guy giving way, 5 sec. in and i honk. soon as i finish honking, i get rear ended by somebody.

car that rear ended me was at fault of course, but the guy in the front was also was impeding traffic..

sebberry 05-29-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool001 (Post 7931922)
car that rear ended me was at fault of course, but the guy in the front was also was impeding traffic..

In my case, if I had proceeded and been hit, I would have been at fault for failing to yield right of way or unsafe lane change.

In your case, you didn't take the right of way and you were still hit. I don't care who is at fault, it's still damage to your car, time to get it fixed, diminished value, the list goes on.

rsx 05-29-2012 04:22 PM

Depends on the situation, if there's traffic build up in front of me and it's crawling, I'll let people in from driveways or something. If it's free flowing going 50km+ then that would be a retarded thing to do.

My biggest pet peeve is for car to just randomly stop during free flowing traffic to let pedestrians go through. I can't count the number of times where another car fails to realize what's going on and blazes past the other car in another lane and almost hits the pedestrian.

Granville bridge with that little pedestrian walk way is notorious. I don't fucking stop, everyone's flying by and the onus should ONLY be the walker to wait for a clear in traffic.

sebberry 05-29-2012 04:39 PM

I agree - it's very situational specific and you gave a good example.

gars 05-29-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsx (Post 7931944)
Depends on the situation, if there's traffic build up in front of me and it's crawling, I'll let people in from driveways or something. If it's free flowing going 50km+ then that would be a retarded thing to do.

My biggest pet peeve is for car to just randomly stop during free flowing traffic to let pedestrians go through. I can't count the number of times where another car fails to realize what's going on and blazes past the other car in another lane and almost hits the pedestrian.

Granville bridge with that little pedestrian walk way is notorious. I don't fucking stop, everyone's flying by and the onus should ONLY be the walker to wait for a clear in traffic.

The onus is on the walker to wait till it's safe, as opposed to jumping out into traffic, but they do have the right of way. If there is someone waiting to cross, and the driver can safely stop, he/she is supposed to.

That's why there are cross walk signs on both sides. If I see a car stopped at a cross walk, I will slow down.

That said, If I were a pedestrian crossing there, I will wait till there is a lull in traffic before I would attempt to cross.

46_valentinor 05-29-2012 10:45 PM

i absolutely hate it when people try to be courteous by giving way to other people. if you have the right then GO, stop trying to be nice by letting me go, last thing i want when im in a hurry is try to guess what you want to do. An example would be going into those small round island where the person on the right has the right of way, 8/10 times people on the right try to give way to me...can't they just mind their own business, follow the damn road laws and continue on with their lives. once i was on knight street and 41st waiting to make a left turn and this stupid car stops before the intersection to give way when she had a green, ffs...:nyan:

kwy 05-30-2012 12:49 AM

^Dude. Chill.

wing_woo 05-30-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46_valentinor (Post 7932368)
once i was on knight street and 41st waiting to make a left turn and this stupid car stops before the intersection to give way when she had a green, ffs...

Yes, I hate this. I noticed when this happens, usually a senior. I've also seen some that just stop at a green light just cause it's been green for a while and they think it'll change.