REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Monsanto in Richmond

Richmond kicked them out but they are trying to sneak back in.
Pretty cool I never even know they were here

This Tuesday Richmond Council voted unanimously at a general meeting, with the Mayor and all Councillors present, to pass a resolution to make Richmond the eighth GE free crop zone in B.C. The wording of the resolution is on the Richmond Council website, at City of Richmond - General Purposes Committee - May 22, 2012 - Minutes

Ten people spoke in favour of the resolution. This now has to go through the formal process of being passed at a Council meeting, which will happen on the 28th May at 7 p.m. at Richmond City Hall.

We've been informed that Crop Life, the Public Relations wing of Monsanto and other biotech companies, will be coming to the Council meeting on the 28th May. They have already begun their lobbying efforts to try and get Richmond Council to change its mind.

If you are in or near Richmond, please turn out for the meeting. Some Councillors may waver under corporate pressure, and a big turn out of the public will make all the difference and hold them firm to their decisions. Several Councillors spoke passionately about their concerns with genetic engineering, and a big public showing will give them more courage.

If Richmond becomes a GE zone this will have a really big impact on other parts of the Province. As a large municipality with about 200 farms and where GE corn is being grown, people will see that if this can be done in Richmond, it can be done anywhere in the Province. GE Free BC is already getting emails from other municipalities where environmental activists want to get a GE Free resolution passed. This is why Monsanto is sending in the PR guys.
Advertisement

Last edited by Death2Theft; 05-27-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Fuck Monsanto.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
well they got that national board that was opposing them disbanded so its only a matter of time before they're everywhere
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
monsanto is worse than the cartel.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #6

Until the masses of people get pissed off to vote everyone off the board and get a new ruling. I'm actually surprised they already got kicked out of richmond once. Furthermore they certainly arn't everywhere. As farmers are discovering the UK and other countries wont buy american food products because of GMO. Infact there are more and more places turning down Monsanto daily and the movement is picking up steam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
well they got that national board that was opposing them disbanded so its only a matter of time before they're everywhere
Old 05-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
who's monsanto and why does everyone hate them?...

and is GE food = GM food?
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
GE = genetically engineered

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Food Inc. really made me hate Monsanto. Such bullshit techniques.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
Zombie Mod

^^^
My first taste of the evil empire came with The Corporation. Monsanto is fucking insidious. They're the same assholes that created Agent Orange, and DDT, and they want to control the food system: Injecting livestock with hormones, creating self-destructing seeds, etc...
Old 05-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
if only every city agreed to do this..

gm food tastes like shit too
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
^^^
My first taste of the evil empire came with The Corporation. Monsanto is fucking insidious. They're the same assholes that created Agent Orange, and DDT, and they want to control the food system: Injecting livestock with hormones, creating self-destructing seeds, etc...
WTF.. Agent Orange ? Fuck these guys indeed.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
What time is the meeting at?

And who's down to go???
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I'll be in attendance.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
you have my support, but if you are asking people to come out to the meeting perhaps you should give a little more info as to why. Keep in mind that most people aren't educated on GE foods or on monsanto.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Those minutes are are so embarrassing to read. Its just Monsanto being dirty and greedy that is bad. Dont hate engineered food, its all around us. A straight ban on GE foods? ridiculous.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
In for meeting

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #18

Personally I think it's more worthwhile to do a province wide movement to get GE foods labeled rather than disallow them, let the consumer choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
you have my support, but if you are asking people to come out to the meeting perhaps you should give a little more info as to why. Keep in mind that most people aren't educated on GE foods or on monsanto.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
I just might have to go down. Coming from a family of farmers (3 generations) I love listening to these co-called "experts" telling me how the "industry" operates.

Just like how PETA films a few extreme undercover incidents and tries to paint the entire industry with the same brush.

FYI, we've been eating GMO's since the 30's.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #20

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
I keep reading GE as general electric... and Monsanto sounds like some James Bond Spectre operated company

As dangonay said, GM plants had been grown for a while and with large degree, banning it would just result in massive crop failures or reduced harvest. I think we should be worried about GM animals, fuck that shit is creepy. Human Genes in cows... lolwtf. Better off banning that and chemical pesticides/ fertilizers.
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
Zombie Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
I keep reading GE as general electric... and Monsanto sounds like some James Bond Spectre operated company

As dangonay said, GM plants had been grown for a while and with large degree, banning it would just result in massive crop failures or reduced harvest. I think we should be worried about GM animals, fuck that shit is creepy. Human Genes in cows... lolwtf. Better off banning that and chemical pesticides/ fertilizers.
GM plants may be safe, but it's the way Monsanto handles their product that irks a lot of people. Once you go Monsanto, you're locked in tighter than a cell contract. It means buying seeds from them EVERY season. You are not allowed to save seeds, and replant them. If you are a non-GM farmer, and your GM-farming, Monsanto-using neighbor's seeds blow their way into your field, you could have a lawsuit on your hands for not paying Monsanto for the privilege of using their product.

Last edited by Presto; 05-27-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Presto is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #22
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
GM plants may be safe, but it's the way Monsanto handles their product that irks a lot of people. Once you go Monsanto, you're locked in tighter than a cell contract. It means buying seeds from them EVERY season. You are not allowed to save seeds, and replant them. If you are a non-GM farmer, and your GM-farming, Monsanto-using neighbor's seeds blow their way into your field, you could have a lawsuit on your hands for not paying Monsanto for the privilege of using their product.
Agreed.
However, saving Monsanto GE Seeds is not much use. They have GE the plants in such a way that it the seeds will not sprout / reproduce after 3-4 generation. You are forced to keep buying seeds that way.

I can only imagine eating enough of this stuff will make you infertile just the same.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #23

3 generations as tested in mammals. Now you can see how bill gates with his (population equation solution
) is funding monsanto big time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtWork View Post
Agreed.
However, saving Monsanto GE Seeds is not much use. They have GE the plants in such a way that it the seeds will not sprout / reproduce after 3-4 generation. You are forced to keep buying seeds that way.

I can only imagine eating enough of this stuff will make you infertile just the same.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #24
This title intentionally left blank MOD

While I don't agree with GE products, GM has solved/alleviated some famine issues in various parts of the world.

Incidentally, I've watched the entire TED talks segment in question, and those excerpts are ENTIRELY out of context.

I'm not trying to advocate Monsanto here. Believe me, I dislike them and their practices as much as many of the other outspoken individuals in this thread. But posting up a bullshit excerpted segment of a TED Talks episode is downright inane.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #25
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
so just to be clear, is all the hate on the company or GE foods?
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote