REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Monsanto in Richmond (https://www.revscene.net/forums/668596-monsanto-richmond.html)

Death2Theft 05-26-2012 09:57 PM

Monsanto in Richmond

Richmond kicked them out but they are trying to sneak back in.
Pretty cool I never even know they were here :(

This Tuesday Richmond Council voted unanimously at a general meeting, with the Mayor and all Councillors present, to pass a resolution to make Richmond the eighth GE free crop zone in B.C. The wording of the resolution is on the Richmond Council website, at City of Richmond - General Purposes Committee - May 22, 2012 - Minutes

Ten people spoke in favour of the resolution. This now has to go through the formal process of being passed at a Council meeting, which will happen on the 28th May at 7 p.m. at Richmond City Hall.

We've been informed that Crop Life, the Public Relations wing of Monsanto and other biotech companies, will be coming to the Council meeting on the 28th May. They have already begun their lobbying efforts to try and get Richmond Council to change its mind.

If you are in or near Richmond, please turn out for the meeting. Some Councillors may waver under corporate pressure, and a big turn out of the public will make all the difference and hold them firm to their decisions. Several Councillors spoke passionately about their concerns with genetic engineering, and a big public showing will give them more courage.

If Richmond becomes a GE zone this will have a really big impact on other parts of the Province. As a large municipality with about 200 farms and where GE corn is being grown, people will see that if this can be done in Richmond, it can be done anywhere in the Province. GE Free BC is already getting emails from other municipalities where environmental activists want to get a GE Free resolution passed. This is why Monsanto is sending in the PR guys.

Presto 05-26-2012 10:00 PM

Fuck Monsanto.

StylinRed 05-26-2012 10:02 PM

well they got that national board that was opposing them disbanded so its only a matter of time before they're everywhere

4doorVIP 05-26-2012 10:07 PM

http://www.davidicke.com/images/stor.../monsanto2.jpg

Ulic Qel-Droma 05-26-2012 10:27 PM

monsanto is worse than the cartel.

Death2Theft 05-26-2012 10:31 PM

Until the masses of people get pissed off to vote everyone off the board and get a new ruling. I'm actually surprised they already got kicked out of richmond once. Furthermore they certainly arn't everywhere. As farmers are discovering the UK and other countries wont buy american food products because of GMO. Infact there are more and more places turning down Monsanto daily and the movement is picking up steam.
Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7929360)
well they got that national board that was opposing them disbanded so its only a matter of time before they're everywhere

PiuYi 05-27-2012 12:12 AM

who's monsanto and why does everyone hate them?...

and is GE food = GM food?

!SG 05-27-2012 12:52 AM

GE = genetically engineered

JordanLee 05-27-2012 01:54 AM

Food Inc. really made me hate Monsanto. Such bullshit techniques.

Presto 05-27-2012 07:08 AM

^^^
My first taste of the evil empire came with The Corporation. Monsanto is fucking insidious. They're the same assholes that created Agent Orange, and DDT, and they want to control the food system: Injecting livestock with hormones, creating self-destructing seeds, etc...

Excelsis 05-27-2012 07:24 AM

if only every city agreed to do this..

gm food tastes like shit too

will068 05-27-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 7929568)
^^^
My first taste of the evil empire came with The Corporation. Monsanto is fucking insidious. They're the same assholes that created Agent Orange, and DDT, and they want to control the food system: Injecting livestock with hormones, creating self-destructing seeds, etc...

WTF.. Agent Orange ? Fuck these guys indeed.

hchang 05-27-2012 08:14 AM

What time is the meeting at?

And who's down to go???

MindBomber 05-27-2012 10:17 AM

I'll be in attendance.

Redlines_Daily 05-27-2012 10:32 AM

you have my support, but if you are asking people to come out to the meeting perhaps you should give a little more info as to why. Keep in mind that most people aren't educated on GE foods or on monsanto.

Anjew 05-27-2012 11:26 AM

Those minutes are are so embarrassing to read. Its just Monsanto being dirty and greedy that is bad. Dont hate engineered food, its all around us. A straight ban on GE foods? ridiculous.

The_AK 05-27-2012 01:48 PM

In for meeting

Death2Theft 05-27-2012 03:11 PM

Personally I think it's more worthwhile to do a province wide movement to get GE foods labeled rather than disallow them, let the consumer choose.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily (Post 7929652)
you have my support, but if you are asking people to come out to the meeting perhaps you should give a little more info as to why. Keep in mind that most people aren't educated on GE foods or on monsanto.

dangonay 05-27-2012 03:53 PM

I just might have to go down. Coming from a family of farmers (3 generations) I love listening to these co-called "experts" telling me how the "industry" operates.

Just like how PETA films a few extreme undercover incidents and tries to paint the entire industry with the same brush.

FYI, we've been eating GMO's since the 30's.

yray 05-27-2012 09:20 PM

I keep reading GE as general electric... and Monsanto sounds like some James Bond Spectre operated company :lawl:

As dangonay said, GM plants had been grown for a while and with large degree, banning it would just result in massive crop failures or reduced harvest. I think we should be worried about GM animals, fuck that shit is creepy. Human Genes in cows... lolwtf. Better off banning that and chemical pesticides/ fertilizers.

Presto 05-27-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 7930162)
I keep reading GE as general electric... and Monsanto sounds like some James Bond Spectre operated company :lawl:

As dangonay said, GM plants had been grown for a while and with large degree, banning it would just result in massive crop failures or reduced harvest. I think we should be worried about GM animals, fuck that shit is creepy. Human Genes in cows... lolwtf. Better off banning that and chemical pesticides/ fertilizers.

GM plants may be safe, but it's the way Monsanto handles their product that irks a lot of people. Once you go Monsanto, you're locked in tighter than a cell contract. It means buying seeds from them EVERY season. You are not allowed to save seeds, and replant them. If you are a non-GM farmer, and your GM-farming, Monsanto-using neighbor's seeds blow their way into your field, you could have a lawsuit on your hands for not paying Monsanto for the privilege of using their product.

BoredAtWork 05-27-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 7930176)
GM plants may be safe, but it's the way Monsanto handles their product that irks a lot of people. Once you go Monsanto, you're locked in tighter than a cell contract. It means buying seeds from them EVERY season. You are not allowed to save seeds, and replant them. If you are a non-GM farmer, and your GM-farming, Monsanto-using neighbor's seeds blow their way into your field, you could have a lawsuit on your hands for not paying Monsanto for the privilege of using their product.

Agreed.
However, saving Monsanto GE Seeds is not much use. They have GE the plants in such a way that it the seeds will not sprout / reproduce after 3-4 generation. You are forced to keep buying seeds that way.

I can only imagine eating enough of this stuff will make you infertile just the same.

Death2Theft 05-27-2012 10:06 PM

3 generations as tested in mammals. Now you can see how bill gates with his (population equation solution
) is funding monsanto big time.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoredAtWork (Post 7930222)
Agreed.
However, saving Monsanto GE Seeds is not much use. They have GE the plants in such a way that it the seeds will not sprout / reproduce after 3-4 generation. You are forced to keep buying seeds that way.

I can only imagine eating enough of this stuff will make you infertile just the same.

Alatar 05-27-2012 10:27 PM

While I don't agree with GE products, GM has solved/alleviated some famine issues in various parts of the world.

Incidentally, I've watched the entire TED talks segment in question, and those excerpts are ENTIRELY out of context.

I'm not trying to advocate Monsanto here. Believe me, I dislike them and their practices as much as many of the other outspoken individuals in this thread. But posting up a bullshit excerpted segment of a TED Talks episode is downright inane.

Shorn 05-27-2012 10:36 PM

so just to be clear, is all the hate on the company or GE foods?