REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 05-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Grade 11/12 Marks + University

My question to all of you is how much does grade 11 marks actually affect your chances into university. Right now im nearing end of grade 11 with not ideal marks.

Gonna be in grade 12 next year, gonna spool up those turbos for sure but do universities actually care about grade 11 marks?

Also, looking at SFU or UBC for something like mechanical engineering which isnt easy to get into AFAIK?
Advertisement
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
The local universities are mostly concerned with you meeting minimum averages for a select few grade 11 courses, which specific courses depend on the program you're applying to. I got into UBC Sciences with just B's in grade 11, but a high grade 12 average.

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-31-2012 at 01:02 AM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Honestly speaking, universities say they wont look at your grade 11 marks, just so long as you pass them. But those extra set of marks are something that may give you an extra edge with someone competing against you for that limited spot and has the same average as you. UBC tends to be quite unpredictable when it comes to selecting prospective students, so its to your best interest to work hard on everything that will be put on your report card, and most importantly, the supplementary application. Good luck applying next year! If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up with a pm as im currently a ubc student and have gone through the process before.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
why not look into the course you want to take at said-university (just google that shit) and look at the prerequisite and it'll show what you need. As far as i know, they look quite a bit into 11/12 marks

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
RS controls my life!

Man it was so much easier back when I went into UBC Science. Self-admission, no supplementary questions, 89.5% minimum avg of 4 gr.12 courses, and 0 fucks given to gr 11 courses. But then again, everyone had to write provincial exams back then.

My feel right now is that Gr.11 courses are still not that important for Canadian schools. Make sure you come out on top of your Gr.12 courses. You should take summer schools too. Sometimes its easier in summer school, and if your not satisfied with the mark, you can take it again during school for easy higher mark.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
as long as you do good in math 11 if you don't plan on taking math 12.
but if you're going into sfu / ubc sciences, then you'll probably be taking math12 principles
gr11 isn;t as important as gr12
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
I don't get it

I'm graduating from HS this year and I'm going to UBC Sauder so I guess I can speak for you? Generally speaking, they don't care about your grade 11 marks and purely your grade 12 marks. However, this year because of job-action, the grading process for my year was different in that "first round" admissions were given in march based on gr11 marks (which meant that some spaces would be given to those with high gr11 and possibly low gr 12) and second round admissions were given in april (which is when I got mine where they look at your grade 12 marks)

Third round begins June 2nd-June 15th. However, this should be irrelevant for you since job action SHOULD be over by the time the next school year starts.

My friends who got in engineering this year , most had 94%+ averages, but I know one who got in UBC engineering with 86% ish iirc. I'd advise you to take economics 12 (online if your school doesn't offer it) since it is a huuuuge average booster, although they won't look at it for engineering admissions
dygital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Right now my situation is im getting not the worst marks, but not very good either. I walked into GR.11 with an attitude of the year not counting much, but im hearing mixed results of people getting in with gr.11 marks and gr.12 marks.

Math 11 - ~83%
Eng 11 - ~83-84%
Chem 11 - doing online ATM probably gonna end up ~80% ish
Physics 11 - 67% -> most disappointing mark.

For my physics mark, should i bother with re-doing the course online this summer to get a better mark? Right now im split 50/50 with the two options of re-doing it online this summer, or to use this summer to take Bio 12.

Next year i've been thinking of a 4 course year which is Eng.12, Math 12, Chem 12, Phys 12. Not sure if this is the smartest idea.

Love your guy's insights on this.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Any good study strategy??
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,209 Times in 1,394 Posts
Don't bother retaking physics unless your faculty requires it.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
Any good study strategy??
amphetamines and classical music
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
The average of your grade 11 marks are not important in regards to being admitted for University. That being said, there ARE minimum requirements for SFU/UBC that you must meet before being considered (eg. 70% final in either Eng11/Eng12 for UBC, or 60% for SFU)

I did not realize UBC's requirement in grade 11 and received a final grade of 68% in English 11. This bit me in the ass because although I have an 85% in English 12 on my transcript as an interim grade, they are not able to offer me admission as they require a FINAL mark. They receive grade 12 final marks in July, but unfortunately that's when UBC's faculties are typically at capacity. My friends got into UBC engineering with an 87% average whereas I have a 90.25%, but I'm not even fucking eligible..

Fuck my grade 11 English teacher.

Luckily I still have SFU

Sorry about the rambling, but what I'm trying to say is figure out the minimum requirements necessary to be eligible for admission to the University you're applying to.

Good luck!
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote