REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Car Dealership Experience for New Immigrants (https://www.revscene.net/forums/668829-car-dealership-experience-new-immigrants.html)

neilck96 05-30-2012 10:56 PM

Car Dealership Experience for New Immigrants

Hello all,

I'm doing my MBA at SFU, and am doing a paper on how car dealerships can improve the car buying experience for new Chinese or South Asian immigrants (findings will be shared with GM). There is a assumption that the current dealership experience is not well suited for this group. I'm trying to find out, as close to first hand as possible, what this experience is actually like.

If you have an experiences you'd like to share, or have emigrated to Vancouver in the last few years and are willing to let me tag along to observe how you are treated, please send me a message.

Thanks,
Neil
neilck96@gmail.com.

TRDood 05-30-2012 11:01 PM

mm design or vansky contacts would give you fresh info.

Spoiler!

4doorVIP 05-30-2012 11:20 PM

http://www.shinobibmw.com/messageBoa...hipCrash01.jpg

dinamix 05-30-2012 11:50 PM

u signed up on revscene just for this ? gay.

jbsali 05-30-2012 11:55 PM

you'd be suprised as to how many dealerships are already aware of this and do act on it. I remember doing an assignment on a few different dealers. My recommendation to you is to use a domestic vehicle dealer. It will be easier to come up with solutions to dealing with communication between dealer and consumer.

EvoLove 05-31-2012 01:12 AM

don't do what Richmond subaru did to belaud if you haven't seen it search up Richmond subaru on Google XD

Bahhbeehhaaaa 05-31-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinamix (Post 7933481)
u signed up on revscene just for this ? gay.

Are you fucking serious? When a person decides to join a community, of course he/she is seeking for an answer... instead of turning down on a new members go and HELP him/her or gtfo. Help revscene grow... not strink..

(if OP continues to post like this, than bash on him/her)

Roach 05-31-2012 08:37 AM

Hi Neil,

I can speak for the dealership side of things working for a large import auto group.

New immigrants face two significant barriers when purchasing a vehicle:

1) Language barriers
2) Limited credit history

It's much easier to mitigate languager barriers. Throughout our group we make it a point to have staff who have the ability to speak a variety of different languages (22, I believe).

Having a limited credit history combined with no current employer or a limited work history in Canada will be the biggest challenge for a new immigrant. Yes, there are plenty of "well-off" people who immigrate to Canada, however, the large majority are not as fortunate.

In such a case, a credit application to the manufacturer will typically be denied. The manufacturer's lending arm typically take only low-risk clients. As a result, the customer will have two options for financing:

1) Find a co-signer with better credit history. Typically this is a family member who is already living here.
2) Seek alternate lending options. Our group offers that to customers, albeit with a slightly higher interest rate than the manufacturers, but by no means fleecing the customer with anything ridiculous (like a credit card company!).

Anyways, I'm sure you already have these ideas in mind but something to chew on.

Definitely curious to hear the thoughts of customers who have gone through this experience. I'm sure there are opportunities for all dealerships, including us, to improve our process.

Kev

neilck96 05-31-2012 08:43 AM

Thanks for the insight Roach. I never thought about that. In addition to credit history issues, I'm guess a new immigrant will also be hit with high ICBC charges, as they can't prove an accident free driving record.

swfk 05-31-2012 08:51 AM

New immigrants seem to pay for nice cars full payment cash sometimes from what I see at BJBMW.

They pick the nicest ones as well since they rather pick the doors that close themselves tight which only come in the V8 models instead of the V6 models that save gas. They pick a Frozen Grey which is a matte finish paint, a $10k+ option on the M3 for their 18 year old son instead of vinyl wrapping it which I think is easier to take care of if you're looking for that matte finish.

Anyway, I'm just guessing, that for BMWs or Mercs credit is no problem? Nor is insurance. Others may agree or disagree since I'm only a sales lot guy and not right on the sales floor.

lowside67 05-31-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilck96 (Post 7933615)
Thanks for the insight Roach. I never thought about that. In addition to credit history issues, I'm guess a new immigrant will also be hit with high ICBC charges, as they can't prove an accident free driving record.

A new immigrant isn't "HIT" with high ICBC charges... they are rightly charged the same high premiums as any other new driver. If they are an experienced driver from overseas and can bring suitable proof of their claims history, they will be given the equivalent discount that they would otherwise receive had their experience been in Canada. This is absolutely more than fair... they should be still assessed a risk premium based on the fact that they have no driving experience on Canadian roads - many of the rules and generally accepted practices are different here than in their home countries.

Mark

neilck96 05-31-2012 09:16 AM

Cultural Differences

Are there cultural differences a dealership should be aware of?

I'm Chinese, but was born and raised here in Vancouver. I much prefer to go to the lot by myself to look at cars, but I notice some people like to go in groups. (Personally, I find having an impatient partner standing around greatly dimishes your bargaining power.)

Are new immigrants, either South Asian or Chinese, more likely to go to the dealership with their family and/or friends than a long term Canada resident?

If so, how does that affect the sales process? Like Roach was commenting, due to a lack of credit history, a new immigrant will often need a relative to co-sign on the loan. Does that require the sales person to convince not just one person, but two people to buy a car?

Thanks for you feedback.

lowside67 05-31-2012 09:18 AM

BTW, I have to say, this one of the worst ideas for an MBA level paper... no real data available on anything, just a bunch of conjecture and hearsay. You are not doing yourself any favours with this topic...

Mark

rsx 05-31-2012 09:59 AM

Failed for the topic you chose for an MBA paper. This is something highschool kids right for an Econ or Marketing class.

van_city23 05-31-2012 10:17 AM

I know a lot of dealerships have salesmen that can speak the different languages required and that makes immigrants feel more comfortable. Also, in surrey, there are many used car dealerships that do in house financing which helps with no credit problems. That ends up costing them much more though.

neilck96 05-31-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsx (Post 7933670)
Failed for the topic you chose for an MBA paper. This is something highschool kids right for an Econ or Marketing class.

I agree. I wouldn't choose it as a final paper. Its an assigned topic as part of a course on Design Thinking (see Wikipedia) which is all about how to approach problems which, by nature, are ill-defined.

Part of this approach is understanding the experience of all users which are affected by proposed solutions, which is why I reach out to this community for help. Your collective experience is far greater than my single point of view. Hopefully, as an Off-Topic, it becomes an interesting thread to read as well, touching on a subject not yet addressed.

rsx 05-31-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilck96 (Post 7933717)
I agree. I wouldn't choose it as a final paper. Its an assigned topic as part of a course on Design Thinking (see Wikipedia) which is all about how to approach problems which, by nature, are ill-defined.

Part of this approach is understanding the experience of all users which are affected by proposed solutions, which is why I reach out to this community for help. Your collective experience is far greater than my single point of view. Hopefully, as an Off-Topic, it becomes an interesting thread to read as well, touching on a subject not yet addressed.

That sounds like a good subject to write about. Personally, I'd find a less broad idea about new immigrants their experiences in car dealerships because there are too many variables affecting it.

gl nonetheless.

yray 05-31-2012 03:52 PM

Alot of new immigrants just pay with cash, they can afford to bring shitloads of money from their home country.

Maybe switch over and write a paper on insurance rates :lawl:.

wouwou 05-31-2012 04:36 PM

Here's an interesting fact: New Chinese immigrant CANNOT bring a boat load of cash with them when they immigrate. In China it is foreign currency controlled, and one person can only legally wire-transfer up to 50k USD per year.

yray 05-31-2012 04:49 PM

^ 50k per family member? add it up

Mr.HappySilp 05-31-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wouwou (Post 7933952)
Here's an interesting fact: New Chinese immigrant CANNOT bring a boat load of cash with them when they immigrate. In China it is foreign currency controlled, and one person can only legally wire-transfer up to 50k USD per year.

There are always the illegal side of things.........

Anyways all the rich fobs usually just pick the most expensive cars.
Is kind of funny I work in Tech support and you have no idea how many times ppl call in just saying :Chinese! Chinese Chinese. Like I am sorry Chinese is a word not a sentence at least learn to simple sentence lol.

Valour 06-01-2012 12:32 AM

Since ur paper is to be shared with GM here's a few suggestions:

1)take off the GM decals and put BMW or Mercedes on it
2)remember the addage "Chinese can never give you a deal and Indians can't leave without one" (Wise man Russel Peters)
3)see rule #1

Valour 06-01-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wouwou (Post 7933952)

Here's another interesting fact, Chinese officials and party members are not supposed to sell national assets to private citizens (or uncles and wives) for bottom dollar. They are also not supposed to accept bribes.

Valour 06-01-2012 12:40 AM

ok so as not to be a total troll:

Global marketing strategy - notice that there are very little celebrity endorsements to shore up the brand for that community? GM needs to drop some dough on Andy Lau. In China GM has a presence and they invest in branding etc.

It may not be cost effective in Canada market though, but GM can raise brand awareness by sponsoring night market or some concert

Generally an Asian buys for brand or bottom dollar. So its either a BMW or champagne colored Kia/Corolla.

Gucci flavoured FIat went ballbusters, maybe you can do a cross marketing/fashion GM thingy

if all else fails hire hot bitches. It works for Cactus Club it'll work for you.

neilck96 06-01-2012 06:01 AM

Thanks for all your feedback.