REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #51
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

yo dawg, I heard you like tax on your tax....
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #52
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
They think its a crime that people aren't handing over money to the government when they buy a used car. I say fuck you.
Thing is it IS a crime they way current tax laws are written. You can despise big businesses for creatively dodging business taxes, but they are done legally if only just barely. The people buying 'gifted' cars are without a doubt the same ones who bitch about carbon tax, translink tax, etc etc. You save tax one place, you pay more somewhere else; its the circle of life.

Quote:
You buy a new house, you pay tax. You buy a used house and what now?
Maybe I'm missing e-sarc, but property transfer tax 1-2% of fair market value? If they were jerks they could have asked for the full 7% PST on used homes and there would be not a thing you could do about it. Maybe gift a house? Doesn't matter because tax is on fair market value and it wouldn't be difficult to implement FMW on used vehicles.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #53
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
You know...totally sidetracking here.

It fucking pisses me off.

Students in Quebec...I think they are off their fucking rockers, but whatever. The gov't announces increases to tuition and they take to the streets in mass protests for months.

Shift a language and a few provinces over and in BC, you have people defending everything as pro-tax.

"Oh, well, we need that money to do whatever and whatever"

"Everybody pays"

We finally stand up on the HST, which may have been a good idea, but implemented poorly and a) the fucking thing still hasn't been repealed and b) people are still sitting there saying "well, it would have been good for others, so I'll take it again"

The government is charging 12% on used cars...used! Hey...you want to take a few points off the top, I get it, its Canada and we have expensive shit to pay for, but 12 fucking percent? And then act surprised when people try to get around it?

Fuck!

Are we supposed to line up like lemmings with our pants at our feet?

I find it really easy to remove oneself from the sheer amount of tax on everything, but when I switched to self-employed, when it was a check I was having to write to pay it, man, it starts to make my blood boil.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #54
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Are we supposed to line up like lemmings with our pants at our feet?
you forgot about spreading 'em & bending over...bending over is key...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #55
I bringith the lowerballerith

If they do decide to get rid of the "gift" loophole,there will be alot of vehicles being sold for $100.Either way there are loopholes around everything,if theres a will theres a way.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #56
UFO

Quote:
Students in Quebec...I think they are off their fucking rockers, but whatever. The gov't announces increases to tuition and they take to the streets in mass protests for months.
I give those students props for being so unreasonable that they are being heard, no idea how they are pulling it off and gov actually gives a damn. Their tuition rates are already lowest in Canada by a considerable margin, and they are fighting an increase of $325/yr for the next 5 years which will bring tuition close to national average, but in 5 years the national average will likely be much higher than $4700/yr. When did university education become an entitlement and right??

Maybe if the Quebec gov collected more tax on used cars they would have the money to fund the education shortfall.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #57
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleensleper View Post
The taxman will always want more.....
Just like the population, what a coincidence..
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #58
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Heh this is funny.. but I was selling one of my cars a couple days ago, I went with the buyer to an autoplan and filled out the transfer form. The autoplan agent (some lady) for some reason couldn't find out the estimated market value for the car. So she insisted that we fill out a gift form since it is "legal". This is even after the buyer told them that he PAID me and even wrote down the price on the transfer form. I was really surprised that they did that.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #59
THE CHAMPION OF CAPUA

Wow, so apparently this law has been in place since April 1 2013. It's going to cost me 2000$ in taxes to gift the car to my common-law girlfriend. What the flying fuck BC.
Posted via RS Mobile
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #60
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
^^ Fuck that. Keep the car yourself, get her to pay you for the insurance, and just make her the principal operator.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #61
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
You just put down the value as $1 now instead
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #62
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
^^ Fuck that. Keep the car yourself, get her to pay you for the insurance, and just make her the principal operator.
Then when she totals it and doesn't reinsure something that accident attaches to you instead of her.......First rule of ICBC is ICBC always gets there's and then some.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 07-11-2013 at 04:18 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #63
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Wow, so apparently this law has been in place since April 1 2013. It's going to cost me 2000$ in taxes to gift the car to my common-law girlfriend. What the flying fuck BC.
Posted via RS Mobile
sell it to her for 1 BJ..... you don't have to sell it for money...... it could be for something she did for you.

I wonder whould that work..... IE selling my car to a friend for fixing my computer. Maybe he charge $20k per hour and since he fix my PC I am giving him my car in exchange for the work he have done......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #64

Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
If you are common-law, she would be defined as your spouse, therefore close family member.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #65
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
You just put down the value as $1 now instead
Try explaining how that is fair market value when you get audited.

Non Qualifying Gifted Vehicles Are Taxed at Fair Market Value
If a customer has received a vehicle as a gift, but the situation does not meet the criteria outlined under exemption “Gift between Related Individuals”
• tax must be paid on the fair market value declared by the gift recipient in the following way:
o 12% PST tax rate for BC vehicles and Canadian imports
o 7% PST tax rate for US imports

The fair market value is used as the purchase price to complete the transaction.
Fair Market Value is the price a vehicle would be sold at
o by a willing seller
o to a willing buyer
o if neither was under and pressure, and
o if both parties have complete understanding of the condition of the vehicle and the relevant vehicle market
Zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #66
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

just say the rest are "services"
Old 07-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #67
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
So what happens when I actually want to trade or gift a car to someone? What if I actually bought a car for $50?

Either way, the appropriate taxes were paid when the car was new, therefore taxing that same item again in the case of a private transaction is a one hundred percent evil lizard overlord wall st. zionist scam. I don't see the government taxing me when I want to sell a welder to a friend, a welder that is worth more than some of the cars actually for sale right now.

Last edited by Yodamaster; 07-11-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #68
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
So what happens when I actually want to trade or gift a car to someone? What if I actually bought a car for $50?

If you traded or received a car as a gift, you would have to declare a value (fair market) for it. I.E. 2000 Acura 1.6EL, you got as a gift, you would have to go on CL and see what similar condition vehicles are there and compare prices.

Let's say the average value is $3000 and you declare $1, just be prepared to possibly explain (to your insurance broker and/Consumer Taxation) how your vehicle is worth one dollar if it's the same condition as a $3000 car.
Zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #69
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Wow I had no idea this had come into effect.

Just found the new form here: ICBC | FAQs | Can I transfer a vehicle to my exwife without paying tax

It is for related family only. It does not mention common law.

I think people are going to declare low purchase prices instead. We all know it's been happening for years.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #70
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
I don't see the government taxing me when I want to sell a welder to a friend,
Be careful what you wish for...
Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #71
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Tax Exempt code: (a.)
Reason: NeedNewEngineBecauseRaceCarOnlyImaginbru__________ ________
*Not one fk was given that day.

It's also not an agent's responsibility to know what your car is worth. IMO I don't think CRA is gonna hunt you down for selling $3 -4 -6k below market value. 12+ yrs not one case I herd back from CRA for investigation. Just sayin.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #72

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
How long do you think until they change it so tax is based of blue book value regardless how much you paid for it? I could see them doing this in the future. I've never cheated on the vehicle taxes myself because I'm scared I'll get caught but more power to those who do, taxing used vehicles is total bullshit.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #73
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgman View Post
Tax Exempt code: (a.)
Reason: NeedNewEngineBecauseRaceCarOnlyImaginbru__________ ________
*Not one fk was given that day.

It's also not an agent's responsibility to know what your car is worth. IMO I don't think CRA is gonna hunt you down for selling $3 -4 -6k below market value. 12+ yrs not one case I herd back from CRA for investigation. Just sayin.
Raises good question. What if we declare way undervalue and just say the car needed a new motor or total rust restoration or something?
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #74
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AME_VIP View Post
Wow I had no idea this had come into effect.

Just found the new form here: ICBC | FAQs | Can I transfer a vehicle to my exwife without paying tax

It is for related family only. It does not mention common law.

I think people are going to declare low purchase prices instead. We all know it's been happening for years.
I think the argument can be made that common-law falls under related family.

Common-law couples as good as married in B.C. - British Columbia - CBC News
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote