REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Reclusive billionaire selling ‘enchanted island’ in B.C. for $75M

Pretty darn nice but would someone spend $75 million on this island or an island somewhere hot.

Quote:

After 18 years of transforming B.C.’s James Island from an abandoned industrial town into a star-studded island retreat, reclusive U.S. telecom billionaire Craig McCaw has put the property back on the real estate market for $75-million.

Although the island is easily spotted from nearby Sidney, B.C., there are few locals who know the goings-on of the 342-hectare property, which is equipped with a Jack Nicklaus-designed golf course, a fake western village and a fleet of themed electric cars — all shielded from public view by a tight security detail.

A Post reporter visiting the island in 2006 was greeted at the dock by an island keeper driving a white Hummer equipped with a steel cage containing a German shepherd trained to sniff out invaders.

“Security hasn’t been a problem in recent years — this fellow is fairly good at what he does,” said Mark Lester with Sotheby’s International Realty, who is overseeing the sale.

Mr. McCaw made his fortune as CEO of McCaw Cellular Communications, a U.S. cell phone pioneer, and is among a generation of billionaire Washington State tech giants, a group that also includes Amazon founder Jeffrey Bezos and Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen.

Intensely private, Mr. McCaw has packed the island’s six guest cottages with a steady stream of VIPs, including music producers Quincy Jones and David Foster and Microsoft founder Bill Gates. In 1999, at the height of his wealth, Mr. McCaw celebrated his 50th birthday by shipping in set designers, vintage cars and even a high school band to complete a nostalgic reconstruction of his Centralia, Washington hometown.

“Obviously, when you’ve got an island like this, anybody that the current owners have invited to the island are like ‘wow,’” said Mr. Lester. “There’s a reason they call it an enchanted island.”

By 1994, when Mr. McCaw purchased the property for $26-million, it was in disarray after a failed plan to transform it into a high-end retreat anchored by a golf course. “This was once an awful place … nothing but a bunch of contaminated soil and about 1,200 miserable-looking deer that had eaten just about every bit of grass there was.” a staff member told the Post in 2006.

The billionaire appointed a staff and set to work moulding it into a model of environmentally friendly development. Gas engines and pesticides were virtually banned from the property (even the Hummer was on its way out), invasive species were ripped out and one-fifth of the island was permanently shielded from development by land covenants. To address the herds of emaciated deer, Mr. McCaw eschewed an island-wide cull in favour of birth-control shots.

In addition, Mr. McCaw’s company spent millions to clean up a toxic landscape left over from the James Island’s days as a far-flung munitions hub for the British Empire.

Located well outside the range of German U-boats and saboteurs, factories on the tiny Pacific island produced as much as one twelfth of all Commonwealth bombs set off in WWI. At its height, the CIL-owned facility — and accompanying company town — hosted a community of 800 people packed into company town complete with a schoolhouse, a honeymoon cottage for newlyweds and even its own Chinatown, all nestled amid towering Douglas Firs. Of course, residents had to eschew guns and fires lest a stray spark or bullet accidentally obliterated their explosive, if picturesque island home.

After the plant was closed in 1978, all the town’s salvageable homes were barged away to neighbouring communities, where many of them still stand.

The plant’s warehouse, now dubbed the Powder Wharf, is the only surviving relic of the island’s industrial past. “It’s now a complete entertainment centre; there’s a pool table, there’s shuffleboard, old arcade games, a bar and a prep kitchen,” said Mr. Lester.

On the island’s south end is a “western village” made to look extra-authentic by being constructed entirely from reclaimed Oregon cedar. A general store at the centre of the village offering racks of rain coats, gumboots and other West Coast necessities for guests. “Everything’s free, of course,” said Mr. Lester.

A rustic-looking barn stands near the island’s grass airstrip. Although the island was briefly settled by Scottish farmers in 1874, the barn itself was purchased on Quadra Island — more than 200 kilometres to the north — and transported in pieces to its current site. A 5,000 square foot cedar house, its roof covered in sod, comprises the main residence.

Mr. McCaw last put James Island up for sale in 2001 in an effort to ratchet back costs after he saw his fortune drop from $7.7-billion to $2.7-billion due to the collapse of the Dot Com bubble. “He’s selling it because he hasn’t been there in over a year and a half … he wasn’t using it,” Bob Ratliffe, vice president of McCaw’s Eagle Ridge Investments, told Postmedia in 2001. Originally listed for more than $70-million, the price had dropped to $49-million by 2003, before the sale was scrapped altogether.

Since 1995, James Island has been the focus of a land claim by the Tsawout First Nation, who held a permanent settlement on the island until they were pushed out in the early 1900s to make way for the munitions plant. “It was the understanding of our leadership of the day that upon dissolution of the factory, we would have the island reinstated to us,” Tsawout spokesman Floyd Underwood said in 2001.

Last November, the Tsawout had already announced plans to file their second claim on the island. “We’ve got a lot of history there,” said Eric Pelkey, the Tsawout’s senior treaty officer, saying that the island was the site of pitched battles with Haida raiders from the North and remains the site of an unmarked Tsawout cemetery.

“We’d really prefer to have it returned to us; it was our island,” said Mr. Pelkey.

This time around, Mr. McCaw told the Wall Street Journal in an email that his family “adores being on the island.” All he provided by way of explanation for the sale was that it was spurred by “a perfect storm of kids’ activities and no one wants to be left behind.”

Reclusive billionaire Craig McCaw selling
National Post.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Same guy just paid $35 million for a 250 GTO

This $35 Million Ferrari Is The Most Expensive Car Ever
Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
I want this so bad. Having your own island being so close to home, a dream come true.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
RS group buy? lol
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
I'd say relatively 75 mill is a decent price considering a few good friends of ours have places on savary island that are just over 1 acre and have been appraised at over a million
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
if i had $75M to blow, i'll spend a lil more and get something in the carribeans

see necker island, now thats paradise
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I would have that perimeter road paved to perfection and the people playing golf would have to deal with the sound of me racing around it at any point during the day.

That is paradise.

Berz out.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
A wealthy person could buy an island in an area with better weather than McCaw's place at a lower price.

$28 million for the island Bird Cay in the Bahamas. -better weather, modern amenities, and great beaches. -perfect place for parties:

10 of the Most Expensive Private Islands in the World
Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I would not like to purchase the possibility of a land claim....

I would take an island here, instead of the Caribbean. One good hurricane and you're done.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

John McCaw's (former canucks owner) brother... cool.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
$35 million – Hog Cay, Bahamas

"Hog Cay is another island for sale in the Bahamas (they have a lot of island there). For your money here, you’ll get 681 of lush, tropical paradise with a two storey main building with incredible sea views. The island also comes with its own 2,500 foot airstrip, for when you need to travel by one of your private jets, of which you’ll no doubt have several."
Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Better to use that money on a tropical island .....
Old 06-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
what happens when pirates comes and robs your house
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
problem with the bc island is if the first nations succeed in their land claim, you're out a $75mil island

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
"Ok...you can have the island back, buuuut I'd like to be compensated for the improvements made. The house is worth 25 mil, the airstrip 10, the golf course 30 and the grounds and such make up the remaining 10 million. Peace!"
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #16

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
75mil is reasonable when you consider Shaunessey homes can go for $22mil.

I wonder what the monthly money burn rate is? $200K a month? I am sure food is stocked, grounds are manicured perfectly, top end staff....
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
what happens when pirates comes and robs your house
You're fucked.

If you can afford an island you can afford to hire your own security team.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
problem with the bc island is if the first nations succeed in their land claim, you're out a $75mil island
if that were to happen, like Gridlock said i'd have 10 excavators digging up everything on the island and leaving nothing but holes to fill

that or i'd just buy tanks to line the perimeter of the island
Old 06-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #19
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
If they made claim to the land, I would think the government would have to purchase the land from the seller before giving it back to first nations.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #20

i guess housing isnt the only thing in bc where you pay twice as much for two times less plus bad weather...looking at that list of top islands for sale almost all are cheaper and better than this 75 mil one, location-wise
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #21

Thanked 1,452 Times in 146 Posts
ultimate zombie apocalypse safe house..?
jepho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #22
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Perfect spot for a real-life Harpers Island.
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

COLD DEAL!
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I would sell my left nut for that island, no questions asked
Muay-thai is offline   Reply With Quote