REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts14 View Post
well i avoided my credit being destroyed, the last thing i want is my credit taking a hit like that so i decided to pay it off and dispute for my losses in court.
Are you the OP's friend?? The guy who "owed" $1200??
Advertisement

Last edited by bballguy; 06-08-2012 at 09:49 PM.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
This.

A collection agency doesn't have any more power than the Gym does. They just have a fancy name. Don't be intimidated.

This is pretty much how it works.

Gym: "Hi Collection Agency, this guy owes us money. I tried calling but he ignored me."
Collection Agency: "Ok, let me try calling. Maybe he'll change his mind."
THATS IT.

Ignore them all. Anything legal will involve a lawyer on their end. With a relatively small amount like $1200, I doubt they're going to go through the hassle of getting a lawyer involved.

Like people said, it's probably just a desperate salesperson..
Your info about collection agency's is really wrong. They can write a report on your credit profile for any amount over $50. I know this because my client owns a collection agency.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
G'd up! w000weee

dude, u just got ripped off $1200.
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #29
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
wow you paid wtf
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #30

We don't even know if ts14 is who OP is talking about...I would assume it isn't as he would've just made this thread himself...
Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #31
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
I'm not who op was talking about wtf, my bill was around 500 and I know I got ripped but at least my credit diddnt look like it got mauled by a dog.
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #32

Quote:
I'm not who op was talking about wtf, my bill was around 500 and I know I got ripped but at least my credit diddnt look like it got mauled by a dog.
So what's your story?
Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #33
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 10:57 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
So what's your story?
I previously had a contract with golds but when kwantlen came out with a student deal I decided to cancel my contract to get the new one. I told them to CANCEL the old contract cuz u can't have 2 contracts at the same time but after a week I got notice that I had a balance due from the old contract while I was paying for the new one WTF. The GM for golds threatened me asking again for banking info while telling me that it was illegal to have 2 contracts. Obviously I said no cuz the other one was supposed to be CANCELLED and that I'm not going to pay for another contract when it's illegal. The GM then asked me to leave or pay so I just left.

One year later I get collections on my ass
Old 06-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #35

Quote:
I previously had a contract with golds but when kwantlen came out with a student deal I decided to cancel my contract to get the new one. I told them to CANCEL the old contract cuz u can't have 2 contracts at the same time but after a week I got notice that I had a balance due from the old contract while I was paying for the new one WTF. The GM for golds threatened me asking again for banking info while telling me that it was illegal to have 2 contracts. Obviously I said no cuz the other one was supposed to be CANCELLED and that I'm not going to pay for another contract when it's illegal. The GM then asked me to leave or pay so I just left.

One year later I get collections on my ass
Oh yeah, I heard about that issue that Kwantlen students were having with Gold's. Kwantlen basically said 'fuck you' to Gold's, and decided not to renew their contract with them. Now they made a contract with Steve Nash, from what I've heard.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Oh yeah, I heard about that issue that Kwantlen students were having with Gold's. Kwantlen basically said 'fuck you' to Gold's, and decided not to renew their contract with them. Now they made a contract with Steve Nash, from what I've heard.
I'm never taking a contract again! It's gonna be community centers from now on
Old 06-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #37
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 10:56 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #38
PRINCESS

The black guy?
My friend made a scene at golds once with him haha
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
Oh what !!! That was an awesome deal too, it was like $15 per month. Meanwhile all my friends with contracts were paying anywhere from $35-$45. I"ll admit that Golds is way better gym than Steve Nash, but if I were to sign up for Golds I would pay cash. They seem way too sketchy for me to give my credit card info to. They've got an F rating with the Better Business Bureau, and there's tons of stories online of them pulling shit like this.

Still really disappointed that the Kwantlen deal isn't happening anymore I was basically paying $40 a month for Golds and Steve Nash Fitness World
I think it's going to be $10/month for Steve Nash...
Old 06-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post
The black guy?
My friend made a scene at golds once with him haha
He acted like a douche bag
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
Old 06-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #41
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
I think it's going to be $10/month for Steve Nash...
Do you have a link to information about this?

It would be very unusual for Kwantlen to go ahead with such a deal, given that it's designed to benefit Langley, Cloverdale, Surrey and Richmond students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
Your info about collection agency's is really wrong. They can write a report on your credit profile for any amount over $50. I know this because my client owns a collection agency.
Not all collection agencies and not all debt is equal, I would never pay, just like I'll never pay Impark.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #42
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

My friends also had another question. The bill requires them to pay within 10 days of when the bill was created, but they only received it 2 days ago. 10 days would be up after today. Can the agency ask for the payment that soon? And can the collection agency consider this as "delinquent" and start decreasing their credit rating. As i said before they've already tried to speak with the agency and they said they need more time because they need to wait and see their contract at golds. But the person handling their debt is very inconsiderate with the situation.
DcmN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Inconsiderate is a tactic. They want to rush you into the payment. But if I recall, a debt in collections doesn't get penalized with interest (I could be wrong). After 30 days they can post it on your credit, but that's it. They can't force you to pay, unless its a larger amount for court.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #44
Banned (ABWS)

Well i guess good luck w/ it. Living and learning is the way of life.
Doubledown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #45
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
Inconsiderate is a tactic. They want to rush you into the payment. But if I recall, a debt in collections doesn't get penalized with interest (I could be wrong). After 30 days they can post it on your credit, but that's it. They can't force you to pay, unless its a larger amount for court.
My understanding of the law is that they can't hit your credit rating when you are disputing the charges.

This is different than say, you bought a car but now are not paying for it or if you borrowed money from the bank and stop paying back.

When a charge like this (like a parking ticket) is in dispute, no action on your credit can be taken.

Regardless, like OP said, his friends were minors at the time and are subject to the Infant Act.

Quote:
When infants' contract enforceable
19 (1) Subject to this Part, a contract made by a person who was an infant at the time the contract was made is unenforceable against him or her unless it is

(a) a contract specified under another enactment to be enforceable against an infant,
(b) affirmed by the infant on his or her reaching the age of majority,
(c) performed or partially performed by the infant within one year after his or her attaining the age of majority, or
(d) not repudiated by the infant within one year after his or her reaching the age of majority.
(2) A contract that is unenforceable against an infant under subsection (1) is enforceable by an infant against an adult party to the contract to the same extent as if the infant were an adult at the time the contract was made.
Infants Act

So unless the contact has one of those clauses, it should be highly suspect.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #46
My homepage has been set to RS

Why is this still a discussion? Your friends might as well cave in and pay them if they are still questioning the situation. That or their story is not 100% true and you're missing some facts. If your friends are telling the truth, tell them to give their balls a tug and man up.

They are not liable and it will not affect their credit rating. It was Gold's mistake to draft and enter them into the contract. They sold the account to the collection agency and it's a matter between them now as Golds basically sold an noncollectable account to the collection agency.

Also, courts favour the party who did not draft up the contract, but their case wouldn't ever set floor in a courtroom if they would listen.

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #47
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DcmN View Post
Two of my friends signed up for a two-year contract at Gold's Gym when they were both 17. They did not get their parents to sign it. They canceled over the phone a few months after in 2010 (Stupid for doing it over the phone, I know). Two years later, they both got letters from the collection agency for about $1,200.
They want to see their contracts at Gold's Gym (Richmond), but they are getting a copy from head office, and will take 7 days (until next friday) to get it. On the letter from the collections agency, they said they have only 10 days (2 days from now) to pay it, but Gold's gym said if you explain it to them, there should be no problem in getting them to extend that.
When they called the collections agency, they kept on being bounced around from person to person, and got varying reports from 7-30 days.
Does anyone have any prior experience or no what to do in this situation?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

TL;DR

-Friends signed up for Golds 2 years ago for 2 year contracts
-Was 17 when signed contract (not sure if this is legal age to sign a contract but they allowed it without guardian signature).
-Collections agency say have 10 days (2 days from now) to pay $1,200
-Want to see contract, but have to wait a week
-Collections agency have various responses (7-30 days of extension) to pay it off.

Will this affect their credit rating immediately or are they legally binded to a contract even though they were 17?
Now I would just tell your friends to tell the collections agency show him prof he owns the money in writing (as in the contract). 90% of the time they can't prove it. You can also request that they stop calling by sending them a letter(make sure it is register so you have prof they receive it). If they contiune to call you after that you can file a hrassement report.

Honestly I wouldn't pay them a dime. I think I own paypal over $1200(sold my WoW account over paypal, I got the money transfer it back to my bank and cancel that bank acct). Next time the buyer file a charge back. Paypal was on my ass lol and sent me to collections. I basically told them to fuck off if they can't prove I owe the money or the product was not delivery. Still nothing on my credit report about it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote