REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   PLEASE remember to turn on your lights when its raining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669286-please-remember-turn-your-lights-when-its-raining.html)

FerrariEnzo 06-09-2012 12:03 AM

PLEASE remember to turn on your lights when its raining

ALMOST re-ended someone when it was pissing rain early afternoon around 12:30-1pm when it was SUPER heavy rain.

Drove past the queensborough bridge heading into richmond and was super heavy rain... I saw the tail lights of the semi but the damn civic behind the semi didnt have his lights on and i got pretty close to him to realize there was a car....

TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS when its raining, for your own safety and others.... so damn hard to see cars when its raining, especially when it rains HEAVY!!!!

dangonay 06-09-2012 06:39 AM

Driving back to Vancouver on the #1 at 11:00PM the other night I saw two cars driving without their lights on. They're so stupid, they probably think when their DRL's are on it means all their lights are on.

mb_ 06-09-2012 06:55 AM

You know your city has too many dumb drivers when a thread like this pops up..

SumAznGuy 06-09-2012 07:05 AM

And turning on your headlights doesn't mean drive around with your high beams on. It blinds the cars in front of you and on coming traffic.

1creator 06-09-2012 07:46 AM

I used to flash people my high beams and then even drive ahead of them and turn my lights on and off twice. Never worked once. I stopped bothering.

SumAznGuy 06-09-2012 08:09 AM

It's been mentioned before, but a lot of times today's newer cars come with dashes that light up when the car is one and thus people forget that their headlights are not on.

But I've seen people driving around in older cars with their dash board lights off. WTF. How do you drive when you can't see your speedo?

But the high beam ones are the worst cause with limited light in front of you, your pupils are open very wide and then comes the high beams which make it extra annoying.

bloodmack 06-09-2012 08:35 AM

jesus christ you are fucking blind if that happens..

Mancini 06-09-2012 09:01 AM

Good thread

It still amazes me when I'm driving on the freeway on a dark, gloomy day when it is raining heavily and the spray from other cars limits vision to 10 car lengths. The majority of people have their light off.

ws6ta 06-09-2012 02:39 PM

go get your eyes checked

Amuse 06-09-2012 03:49 PM

I always turn on my lights when raining. Safer for myself and I want other cars to see me.
What pisses me off is when people don't turn on their lights when it's at night and its raining. It's like they're clueless of their surroundings.

JSALES 06-09-2012 05:09 PM

I see so many people driving without their head lights on at night, you're all fucking stupid

FerrariEnzo 06-09-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack (Post 7942373)
jesus christ you are fucking blind if that happens..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ws6ta (Post 7942556)
go get your eyes checked

good for you guys if you 2 are able to see through HEAVY rain PLUS a semi and the car spraying water... not everyone has spider-sense like you 2... Already had my wipers on the second fastest settings... only when the guy in the car stepped on the brakes is when I noticed the car...

LIGHTs are there for a reason.. its not just as an ornament. SAFETY first

Gridlock 06-09-2012 06:49 PM

in some ways DRL were the worst thing in terms of safety. Caravans are the worst as their DRL are effectively the parking lights.

I always turn the headlights on when I drive(sun/rain doesn't matter), except the 7, cause, you know, flip up head lights look ugly up-but on if its raining.

JSALES 06-09-2012 07:07 PM

it's just second nature for me to know when to turn on my head lights, I even turn on my head lights when I'm in an underground parking lot just in case a car is coming around in a blind corner

Lomac 06-10-2012 03:07 AM

OP does have a point, though. I was driving through a massive rain storm yesterday on Hwy5 past Merrit and even though it was roughly 10am, the clouds were so dark and the rain was so heavy that you could barely see twenty feet in front of you. More than once I almost ended up rear ending someone because they had absolutely no lights on.

FerrariEnzo 06-10-2012 06:58 AM

this post is meant to let people know that even during daylight hours, LIGHTS are still important, depending on situations...

Im not saying you MUST have your lights on when its bright and suns out blinding you.... just have some more common sense when driving..

bloodmack 06-10-2012 08:58 AM

I still use my lights I understand some people are blind. But seriously you can't see a car in heavy rain? Do you not slow down and use your wipers in rain that heavy? Common man.

Matlock 06-10-2012 09:44 AM

Sometimes in well lighted streets with some vehicles it can be easy to forget or not notice that your lights aren't on.

But yes, always try to turn your lights on when the sun has set. Even in underground parking lots I'll turn them on.

civic_rice 06-10-2012 09:53 AM

auto headlights ftw every car should have them. my lights turn on auto if the wipers are on or its dark

fliptuner 06-10-2012 10:00 AM

All the advances in auto technology and they can't make auto head/parking lights mandatory? I also hate that guage cluster lights are on even if headlights aren't. It should be: no parking lights, no cluster lights.

The sad part is that it's not the dumbasses that get hurt cause of it - it's the people around them who are at danger.

Lomac 06-10-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack (Post 7943114)
I still use my lights I understand some people are blind. But seriously you can't see a car in heavy rain? Do you not slow down and use your wipers in rain that heavy? Common man.

Have you driven the mountain passes in the middle of a torrential downpour? I was doing 50km/hr in a 110 zone, and I still passed a dozen cars in the right lane. The problem isn't from me slowing down and using my wipers; it's the fact that the water tail spray from a car in front blends in with the rain coming down, which basically hides the car doing it. When their tail lights are illuminated, I could see them no problem. But when they weren't on... well, ya. When I get back, I've got the footage on my dash cam and then you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

FerrariEnzo 06-10-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack (Post 7943114)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 7943300)
it's the fact that the water tail spray from a car in front blends in with the rain coming down, which basically hides the car doing it.

^^^ this

Ive mention that its ALSO from water spraying up and NOT just heavy rain... :suspicious:
why are you fixed on just 1 thing when ive mentioned multiple things?
I guess you havent driving behind a semi under heavy rain... they kick up water like crazy.... Ive mention I have my WIPERS on the second fastest setting..
The spray of water masked the little civic behind the semi.. the semi has a wider track so the water it kicks up goes past the car down the side while the civic kicks up water straight at my front..
I saw the semi no problem because he had his lights on...

extracrunchie 06-10-2012 07:03 PM

Ya, i cant stand ppl who

1. Dont turn their lights on at night, you may have drl in the front but no indication in the back.

2. Driving with your high beams on and when blink your high beams at them, they dont give a shit.

and 3. Ignorant people, "get your eyes checked,"

UFO 06-13-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 7943300)
it's the fact that the water tail spray from a car in front blends in with the rain coming down, which basically hides the car doing it. When their tail lights are illuminated, I could see them no problem.

+11111

I noticed and get annoyed with this mainly on the highway where spray becomes a much bigger problem in conjunction with heavy falling rain. And these cars are also usually the ones clogging up the passing lane on the highway. Especially a problem with silver/grey cars; the colour of the car blends in with the road and spray. Brightly coloured cars and even black/white cars are not as big of a problem.

I've never fully understood the logic and point of DRL's on the front only; they aren't bright enough to help with visibility during the day. If anything DRL's should turn on the rear taillights or all corner markers.

RabidRat 06-13-2012 12:46 PM

I just turn my headlights on 24/7.