REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
yot065's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 267
Thanked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Can I get sued if someone goes blind looking at me welding?

Might be/might be not a obvious answer but I need other people's opinions, but could I get sued if someone walking by starts looking at what I'm doing while welding?

(don't have a very secluded area or welding wall things or w.e)
Advertisement
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Rider
 
rexsomnii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Home
Posts: 1,574
Thanked 2,601 Times in 272 Posts
I think people should be smart enough to look away from it rather than stare at it.
__________________
<a href="http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=539933">My Feedback</a>
rexsomnii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,513
Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I'll bet you an idiot with the right lawyer may probably be able to pull off a lawsuit. If not here, then maybe in the states
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!
 
tiger_handheld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,052
Thanked 2,033 Times in 844 Posts
noob question: how does staring at welding spark make a person blind? parents always said look away, but never say why when I asked
__________________

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.


Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here
 
hchang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,901
Thanked 3,075 Times in 722 Posts
What the fuck kind of thread is this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
noob question: how does staring at welding spark make a person blind? parents always said look away, but never say why when I asked
Welding sparks are extremely bright, if you stare at where exactly it's being welded it's about the same as staring at the sun directly.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.
 
PJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancity/Toronto
Posts: 3,181
Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Technically I would think you could get sued.. Blindness is pretty much considered bodily harm..

Apply the principle to something else.. Instead of welding, what if you were taking a sledgehammer to some old furniture and a piece of wood hits someone in the face?

Yeah, it'd be stupid for someone to walk by while you're doing that, or to stare while you're welding.. But I don't think you'd have much to say if the judge asked if you took any safety precautions to prevent any accidents..
__________________
Studies show 100% of people die.. Might as well have some fun.

Hello my name is PJ.


Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,889
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
I think PJ's got it.

If you fail to take the necessary safety precautions to protect a person in the vicinity of you welding, that might be grounds for a law suit. I suppose you could argue the person should not have stared directly at you welding, but I don't think that would be an adequate defense.

Buy a curtain. If you have limited space and can't find one that's collapsible it would be simple to make something.
6 x 6 ft Portable Welding Screen | Princess Auto
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
yot065's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 267
Thanked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
noob question: how does staring at welding spark make a person blind? parents always said look away, but never say why when I asked
the uv rays and brightness while welding is so extreme its comparable to as if you were to stare directly in the sun or while there is a eclipse. pretty much if you stare at it for more then 10 seconds the tissues in your eyes get burned and all is forever lost

@pj: yeah thought of that pretty much, but I've seen CoV workers, welding the fence on kensington community center along knight without any curtains so that got me thinking (cause i have a tendency to look at bright things lulzz)
thought i could also probably put signs just before each side of the sidewalks of my house just to warn people too.. i've seen some workers post signs a few meters away from their welding site
along with a few blockades


@mindbomber curtains pricey probably just put a blanket over everything with me under it and weld lulzzzz, catch on fire GG. or buy some poster paper and tape it on chairs and put it all around me lol
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
death_blossom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,064
Thanked 179 Times in 95 Posts
I have seen middle-aged bodyshop men welding w/o a mask. seemed totally eff'd up to me.

I think if you have visible signage nearby stating not to look at the welders while they're operating, it would be a good start to protect yourself.
__________________
Nullify the Vegetarian crusade!
death_blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
what manner of phaggotry is this
 
RRxtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Kelownafornia
Posts: 18,231
Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,787 Posts
i've wondered this myself. when i was building the new box for one of my trucks in my back alley after i finished a bead i looked up and there was a guy standing behind me watching.


i dont know if i would say the sledgehammer/furniture analogy is what i would use.

that sort of implies negligence on your part causing pieces of what you are doing to physically fly at someone. similar to if someone got hit by a rock flung off of your weed whacker if you were whacking weeds along a sidewalk. your fault because you should either stop, block off the area, or take safety precautions if people are nearby.

i would say its more a long the lines of you having a fire burning (legally), and someone walked thru it.
__________________
STRENGTHaesthetics
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.
 
PJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancity/Toronto
Posts: 3,181
Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
I remember when I was arc welding one time.. and after doing some adjustments, I forgot to pull my mask back down.. Tapped the rod, and the flash blinded me so much that I took a couple steps back in recoil.

coolstorybro
__________________
Studies show 100% of people die.. Might as well have some fun.

Hello my name is PJ.


Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
yot065's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 267
Thanked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
i've wondered this myself. when i was building the new box for one of my trucks in my back alley after i finished a bead i looked up and there was a guy standing behind me watching.


i dont know if i would say the sledgehammer/furniture analogy is what i would use.

that sort of implies negligence on your part causing pieces of what you are doing to physically fly at someone. similar to if someone got hit by a rock flung off of your weed whacker if you were whacking weeds along a sidewalk. your fault because you should either stop, block off the area, or take safety precautions if people are nearby.

i would say its more a long the lines of you having a fire burning (legally), and someone walked thru it.
not really a high traffic area for me, but just afraid a neighbor might walk out of their house and want to peak at what is so bright lol

kinda can imagine a kid reading a sign i've posted and wonder what is welding and runs over to see whats going on though sadly
prob take precautions anyways...
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.
 
PJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancity/Toronto
Posts: 3,181
Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
i dont know if i would say the sledgehammer/furniture analogy is what i would use.

that sort of implies negligence on your part causing pieces of what you are doing to physically fly at someone. similar to if someone got hit by a rock flung off of your weed whacker if you were whacking weeds along a sidewalk. your fault because you should either stop, block off the area, or take safety precautions if people are nearby.

i would say its more a long the lines of you having a fire burning (legally), and someone walked thru it.
Yeah it was kind of just the first thing that came to mind. But I'm sure we all get the idea.

I'm trying to think of something more fitting, but can't seem to find one

Regardless, whenever questioning safety of others, just ask yourself if you took the right precautions to prevent accidents.

@OP, just buy the screen or make something.. It's unlikely that anything would happen.. just think of it as cheap insurance I guess


Quote:
Originally Posted by yot065 View Post
kinda can imagine a kid reading a sign i've posted and wonder what is welding and runs over to see whats going on though sadly
prob take precautions anyways...
Haha that's usually how it goes.. You tell a kid not to touch something.. the first thing they do is touch it.
__________________
Studies show 100% of people die.. Might as well have some fun.

Hello my name is PJ.


Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS
 
CP.AR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: FL400
Posts: 5,857
Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
noob question: how does staring at welding spark make a person blind? parents always said look away, but never say why when I asked
the welding arc can be brighter than the sun
looking at it would be a VERY bad idea

also
OP

at the office (we have a steel fab shop in the back), we had to make some temp (1 day use) screens for a rush job. we just doubled up on some black garbage bags and taped them to a frame made with steel tubing.
worked quite well though make sure you keep it away from the sparks unless you want melting plastic.
__________________
Where the hell am I

Last edited by CP.AR; 06-10-2012 at 11:21 PM.
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #15
I LOVE SQWAT
 
red_sir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,257
Thanked 660 Times in 219 Posts
If someone can get within 40 feet of you, put up a screen. Otherwise you're good.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
racing & tech mod.
 
Rich Sandor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,034
Thanked 507 Times in 188 Posts
The arc is usually pretty small, and can be obscured from stupid onlookers with a small 1x1" plate, toolbox, or whatever. I usually try to weld so that any passerbys would be behind me, and the arc would be shielded by my body.

I would suggest if someone is too dumb to look away from a welding arc, they should sue their parents for raising them stupid.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #17
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
yot065's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 267
Thanked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
The arc is usually pretty small, and can be obscured from stupid onlookers with a small 1x1" plate, toolbox, or whatever. I usually try to weld so that any passerbys would be behind me, and the arc would be shielded by my body.

I would suggest if someone is too dumb to look away from a welding arc, they should sue their parents for raising them stupid.
its like a firework

what do you guys say if its in my backyard... with a fence thats about 8ft high? but people who are on balconies can visibly see still? would you considering it "enough precautions" or i still gotta set up a a barrier ?
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
EmperorIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: home
Posts: 2,784
Thanked 3,793 Times in 850 Posts
I got sued for being too good looking. So you might.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
They let me be a moderator. LOL
 
SpuGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,179
Thanked 3,580 Times in 847 Posts
Walk next door, and tell your neighbours that you'll be welding.
If they get Flashed, they're idiots.
But getting flashed doesn't really do enough damage to get sued. It'll be hard for them to prove.

Photokeratitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I get flashed everyday at work. So now I just walk around like an asshole with my helmet down.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #20
I LOVE SQWAT
 
red_sir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,257
Thanked 660 Times in 219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yot065 View Post
its like a firework

what do you guys say if its in my backyard... with a fence thats about 8ft high? but people who are on balconies can visibly see still? would you considering it "enough precautions" or i still gotta set up a a barrier ?

Someone on a balcony would be pretty far away. Since you are working in your backyard I'm gonna assume you won't be welding at very high amperages nor for very long durations. In that case I'm sure there will be no problems with arc flash. That being said, putting up a barrier would be the considerate thing to do.

What are you welding anyway?
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #21
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 23,894
Thanked 9,765 Times in 3,533 Posts
yes, take adequate precautions as mentioned, signage, screens, a notice of intent to residents, etc anything to protect yourself and others

Last edited by StylinRed; 06-11-2012 at 05:14 AM.
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
tonyvu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Van.
Posts: 2,929
Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
Over time welders that look at this constant bright spark can give them the worst migraines, even when wearing a welding mask.

so yea never look at the light
__________________
RIP JN

UNCE UNCE UNCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP
tonyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #23
MiX iT Up!
 
tiger_handheld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,052
Thanked 2,033 Times in 844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
What the fuck kind of thread is this?




Welding sparks are extremely bright, if you stare at where exactly it's being welded it's about the same as staring at the sun directly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yot065 View Post
the uv rays and brightness while welding is so extreme its comparable to as if you were to stare directly in the sun or while there is a eclipse. pretty much if you stare at it for more then 10 seconds the tissues in your eyes get burned and all is forever lost

@pj: yeah thought of that pretty much, but I've seen CoV workers, welding the fence on kensington community center along knight without any curtains so that got me thinking (cause i have a tendency to look at bright things lulzz)
thought i could also probably put signs just before each side of the sidewalks of my house just to warn people too.. i've seen some workers post signs a few meters away from their welding site
along with a few blockades


@mindbomber curtains pricey probably just put a blanket over everything with me under it and weld lulzzzz, catch on fire GG. or buy some poster paper and tape it on chairs and put it all around me lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
the welding arc can be brighter than the sun
looking at it would be a VERY bad idea

also
OP

at the office (we have a steel fab shop in the back), we had to make some temp (1 day use) screens for a rush job. we just doubled up on some black garbage bags and taped them to a frame made with steel tubing.
worked quite well though make sure you keep it away from the sparks unless you want melting plastic.

wow 10 seconds and blind. welding is serious business.
learn something new every day.
__________________

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.


Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #24
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
yot065's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 267
Thanked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sir View Post
Someone on a balcony would be pretty far away. Since you are working in your backyard I'm gonna assume you won't be welding at very high amperages nor for very long durations. In that case I'm sure there will be no problems with arc flash. That being said, putting up a barrier would be the considerate thing to do.

What are you welding anyway?
my welder is only 70amps anyways just welding a bolt on a screw cause it stripped and a damn extractor wouldnt take it off lolol (not worth getting sued over, over welding a damn bolt )
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #25
My homepage has been set to RS
 
sdubfid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AB/BC
Posts: 2,065
Thanked 1,027 Times in 319 Posts
If you get flashed for 10 seconds you won't go blind, another tip if you are working beside welders just wear clear safety glasses like uvex with uv protection. I worked beside welders for 8 hours a day at the shipyard and had no flash issues. Make sure to wear sunscreen if your skin/face will be exposed as well. 70amps is nothing.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net