REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Bodyshop estimator

Hi i'm wondering if anyone here works as an estimator at any bodyshops/icbc. I am currently in the auto tech trade but it is an option im looking to get into further down the road. A couple questions:

What kind of schooling would someone take for this, if any?
What kind of work would an estimator be doing at icbc (aside from estimating damage)
And of course the big one: what kind of wages is someone to expect as an estimator?

Like many, i'd imagine most would want to work as an estimator for ICBC

TIA.
Advertisement
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Having experience in the field is nice. There is courses you can take at the Automotive Training Centre. Estimator job at icbc is looking at vehicles damged in an accident or break in. Reviewing claims that an auto body shop have written. ICBC is cutting estimating jobs back because they get bodyshops to handle most claims now a days.
Anywhere from 30-100k+
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

What kind of schooling would someone take for this, if any?
Most of the estimators we encounter are taught on the job. What you learn in school can give you the basics, but there is no substitute for real world applications. Plus, with how the policies and procedures in this industry change almost overnight, a lot of what is taught in school is out dated or not in practice by the time a student is in a real world application
What kind of work would an estimator be doing at icbc (aside from estimating damage)
ICBC is pretty bread & butter estimating (ie. basic) As an ICBC Estimator, your primary role is the damages to the vehicle. Personal injury and settlement are handled by the Adjuster. It's true too as VR6GTI noted that ICBC is starting to phase out claim centre estimates in favour of their certified shops, as the shops have the ability to tear the car down and supply more comprehensive and complete estimates.
And of course the big one: what kind of wages is someone to expect as an estimator?
Again, as VR6GTI noted, entry level is approx $35K/year to start, and depending on where you are (AB vs. BC)
Boyd Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanks for the replies but one last question:

How do most estimators start on their career? I know its a vague question but id like to know what most people do (aka i dont want to be taking a course thats essentially useless).
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoo- View Post

How do most estimators start on their career? I know its a vague question but id like to know what most people do (aka i dont want to be taking a course thats essentially useless).
I personally started pushing a broom, then worked my way up through the office as a parts receiver, and did quality control. I then took the ICBC certification course and started writing small estimates and worked my way up through the system. Others have started as technicians. There are a handful of employees within our company whom did take the course from the Automotive Training Center, and as they offer an on-site practicum, it's a great way to get your foot in the door.
Boyd Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoo- View Post

i did VCC (body work) and BCIT (Mechanic) for the basic skillset

then afterwards worked at a shop and worked my way up from broom pusher/detailer (which everyone always starts at, IMO) after some years left the shop and now working for insurance.
terryjai is offline   Reply With Quote