REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #976
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
MR_BIGGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,530
Thanked 665 Times in 273 Posts
Wow, they got the Wayner to call Schultz. I hope Botchford's speculation that it's a last ditch effort to change his mind stands and the kid decides on the 604. I mean, if he chooses the oilers he will have to play the Canucks 6 times a year. If he becomes a star, he will be sticking it to them for years to come. If he's a bust....
Advertisement
__________________
"A chicken crossing the street is poultry in motion"
MR_BIGGS is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #977
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 27,731
Thanked 7,281 Times in 2,573 Posts
I also read that his parents have season tickets to the nucks but I'm not sure if jr was legit
Hondaracer is online now  
Old 06-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #978
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
MR_BIGGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,530
Thanked 665 Times in 273 Posts
I wonder if Gretzky's pitch included a night with Paulina.
__________________
"A chicken crossing the street is poultry in motion"
MR_BIGGS is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #979
Wanna have a threesome?
 
MindBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Squamish
Posts: 4,886
Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I also read that his parents have season tickets to the nucks but I'm not sure if jr was legit
That seems pretty unlikely, given that all the credible reports say his parents live in Kelowna. That's a long drive, over one hell of a winter mountain pass, 41 times a year, to see a hockey game... even for the most committed fan.

Edit: Okay, let's say Schultz's parents attend every Fri and Sat game during the regular season, this year that would have been 11 games. That's easily 90-100 hours worth of travel time if conditions are good, on a highway prone to closures. It seems very unlikely that it's any more than a rumor, especially given the current hype, but people are welcome to disagree with me

Last edited by MindBomber; 06-29-2012 at 09:06 PM.
MindBomber is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #980
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,368
Thanked 833 Times in 391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
That seems pretty unlikely, given that all the credible reports say his parents live in Kelowna. That's a long drive, over one hell of a winter mountain pass, 41 times a year to see a hockey game.
You know, not every season ticket holders go to 41 times a year. They share some of those games with family, friends, or just sell it off.

If Shultz is smart and confident in his own skills, he should sign with us. Look at what the Sedins got Ehrhoff, $40 million!!!
highfive is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #981
My homepage has been set to RS
 
kristianhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,163
Thanked 906 Times in 333 Posts
Completely away from all the recent trade/Justin Schultz talk, I'm looking forward to Schroeder getting his chance on the big squad this year. His style is pretty similar to Patrick Kane's (size, shiftiness, etc) and the guy has some sick hands and vision. Hopefully he can adjust to the NHL and contribute. I'm pretty excited with everything going on!

__________________

Last edited by kristianhay; 06-29-2012 at 09:14 PM.
kristianhay is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #982
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
604pt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 136
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Agreed! I've been waiting to see what he can do in the NHL ever since we drafted him. Oct can't come soon enough..
604pt is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #983
rsx
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once
 
rsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,223
Thanked 3,381 Times in 805 Posts
a bit...underwhelmed with the "highlights"
rsx is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #984
My homepage has been set to RS
 
kristianhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,163
Thanked 906 Times in 333 Posts
It's more of a "highlight" reel showing his overall play style as opposed to simply goals/assists. What underwhelmed you? His speed, escapability, vision and hands really impressed me.

Another player I'm looking forward to in the future is Rodin. He has tons of potential but still needs to adjust to the North American game. Goal starting at 1:15 really showcases his skill.

__________________
kristianhay is offline  
Old 06-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #985
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 27,731
Thanked 7,281 Times in 2,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
That seems pretty unlikely, given that all the credible reports say his parents live in Kelowna. That's a long drive, over one hell of a winter mountain pass, 41 times a year, to see a hockey game... even for the most committed fan.

Edit: Okay, let's say Schultz's parents attend every Fri and Sat game during the regular season, this year that would have been 11 games. That's easily 90-100 hours worth of travel time if conditions are good, on a highway prone to closures. It seems very unlikely that it's any more than a rumor, especially given the current hype, but people are welcome to disagree with me
If your kid played in the NHL I think you'd make the sacrifice to see 11 games

Like I said though its all speculation

If things worked out and let's say Salo comes back it looks pretty good having Shultz Salo Schneider Kassian Booth + any other additions

If everything fell into place the team could look quite different

You have Kes sedins burrows as top 6 the other 2 spots are open as far as I'm concerned
Hondaracer is online now  
Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #986
My homepage has been set to RS
 
kristianhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,163
Thanked 906 Times in 333 Posts
Just cruising on youtube and with the prospect of Lu getting traded so close, I'm pretty bummed. He's the best goalie this team and city has ever had and it kind of sucks that the media and fans chased him out of town. Sure he under performed on occasions, but every goalie does. I've always supported Lu and think he is still an elite goaltender. If it happens, it will be weird as fuck to see him in a different uniform again.


__________________
kristianhay is offline  
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #987
I'm better than you.
 
b0unce. [?]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East Van
Posts: 8,471
Thanked 3,055 Times in 654 Posts
looks like the kid is making his decision later today!
__________________


'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]



FS: Active Autowerke F30 328/428 exhaust

FS: BNIB: BMW F30 Window Visor/Deflectors

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline  
Old 06-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #988
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,747
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
Just cruising on youtube and with the prospect of Lu getting traded so close, I'm pretty bummed. He's the best goalie this team and city has ever had and it kind of sucks that the media and fans chased him out of town. Sure he under performed on occasions, but every goalie does. I've always supported Lu and think he is still an elite goaltender. If it happens, it will be weird as fuck to see him in a different uniform again.

Why do people keep thinking that it's the fans that drive players (Luongo) out of the city? Do you think Gillis cares about your average construction worker, burger flipper, corporate lawyer, etc's assessment of Luongo?

Do you think Francesco Aquilini listens to these peons and allow them the ultimate decision for his multi-million dollar venture (Orca Bay)?


No.


At the end of the day, it's their call. Their decision. Regardless of what the masses think, what their assessments are, their valuations.




Luongo WAS our best goaltender. That is until he became a "made man" in the franchise and in a lot of people's eyes, he never played the same. He's at a point in his career where he's been chasing his 06/07 performance for the last 6 years now.

And it's not like the club didn't give him a chance or hung him out to dry. They stuck with him for the last 6 years, gave him every resource he wanted to stick around and up-his-game. Everytime we came up short, they gave him EVERY benefit of the doubt for the last 6 years (even when the fans thought otherwise). The club stood by him all these years.


No, nobody ran him out of town. That's just the way the cookie crumbled. And I'm sure in the perspective of Aquilini/Gillis, it's just business.


Yes, we're guilty of the "What have you done for me lately" syndrome. But as Aquilini stated that his business goal is to win a Championship, you can't let loyalties and patronage get in the way of making a business decision; a hard decision; and perhaps one day a "winning" decision.



I do believe he'll do better anywhere else but here. As long as he's in a environment (franchise) where he has to prove himself again, and earn his merit; and not as a "made-man" where he's invincible to criticism yet again.
Noir is offline  
Old 06-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #989
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,460
Thanked 7,646 Times in 2,324 Posts
Canucks Sports and Entertainment, not Orca Bay.

Lu was given a fair chance and people loved him the way he played in 06/07. But he steadily started to decline and even though I think people unfairly blame him for the 2010 loss, I don't think anyone ran him out of town. He was still a top 5 goalie but he's getting older and Schneider is a better fit now. It's just unfortunate that Vancouver is full of idiots that think they know hockey when all they do is yell at Henrik to shoot and think they can get Shea Weber for Mason Raymond.
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline  
Old 06-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #990
My homepage has been set to RS
 
kristianhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,163
Thanked 906 Times in 333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Why do people keep thinking that it's the fans that drive players (Luongo) out of the city? Do you think Gillis cares about your average construction worker, burger flipper, corporate lawyer, etc's assessment of Luongo?

Do you think Francesco Aquilini listens to these peons and allow them the ultimate decision for his multi-million dollar venture (Orca Bay)?


No.


At the end of the day, it's their call. Their decision. Regardless of what the masses think, what their assessments are, their valuations.




Luongo WAS our best goaltender. That is until he became a "made man" in the franchise and in a lot of people's eyes, he never played the same. He's at a point in his career where he's been chasing his 06/07 performance for the last 6 years now.

And it's not like the club didn't give him a chance or hung him out to dry. They stuck with him for the last 6 years, gave him every resource he wanted to stick around and up-his-game. Everytime we came up short, they gave him EVERY benefit of the doubt for the last 6 years (even when the fans thought otherwise). The club stood by him all these years.


No, nobody ran him out of town. That's just the way the cookie crumbled. And I'm sure in the perspective of Aquilini/Gillis, it's just business.


Yes, we're guilty of the "What have you done for me lately" syndrome. But as Aquilini stated that his business goal is to win a Championship, you can't let loyalties and patronage get in the way of making a business decision; a hard decision; and perhaps one day a "winning" decision.



I do believe he'll do better anywhere else but here. As long as he's in a environment (franchise) where he has to prove himself again, and earn his merit; and not as a "made-man" where he's invincible to criticism yet again.
Definitely agreed. What I mean with the fans is that obviously, what people are saying effects how the media reacts, and in turn, that does effect the player - his confidence level, etc. Obviously the end result is not in direct correlation to this but still. Probably just get too attached to players haha!
__________________
kristianhay is offline  
Old 06-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #991
Big Drama Show
 
jayare604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Goodboy Nation
Posts: 5,733
Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
So, any Schultz news?
jayare604 is offline  
Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #992
In RS I Trust
 
murd0c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mission
Posts: 19,605
Thanked 16,829 Times in 3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
So, any Schultz news?
we will find out later this afternoon
murd0c is offline  
Old 06-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #993
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
punkwax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South Surrey
Posts: 5,296
Thanked 4,193 Times in 1,316 Posts
#schultzwatch
__________________
If you drive like an asshole, you probably are one.
punkwax is offline  
Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #994
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,007
Thanked 17,633 Times in 5,341 Posts
There's no way he can live up to the hype now. No way
SkinnyPupp is offline  
Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #995
Big Drama Show
 
jayare604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Goodboy Nation
Posts: 5,733
Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
There's no way he can live up to the hype now. No way
Lol yup, especially if he's a minus player and finishes with less than 40 points this season
jayare604 is offline  
Old 06-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #996
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 27,731
Thanked 7,281 Times in 2,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
There's no way he can live up to the hype now. No way
At least it's relatively easy to live up to an entry level contract
Hondaracer is online now  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #997
I'm better than you.
 
b0unce. [?]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East Van
Posts: 8,471
Thanked 3,055 Times in 654 Posts
Leafs buy out colby Armstrong. Would be worth it to grab him for next to nothing. Hes a pretty big guy.
__________________


'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]



FS: Active Autowerke F30 328/428 exhaust

FS: BNIB: BMW F30 Window Visor/Deflectors

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #998
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Van, BC
Posts: 3,637
Thanked 706 Times in 422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Lu was given a fair chance and people loved him the way he played in 06/07. But he steadily started to decline and even though I think people unfairly blame him for the 2010 loss, I don't think anyone ran him out of town.
The ironic thing is that he's a better technical goalie now than he was in 06/07. Watching back at clips from then, some of his positioning and movements makes you cringe. He relied on having to scramble a lot back then and made a lot of saves that he shouldn't have been able to thanks to his athleticism. Today, he is a much more technically and positionally sound goalie and rarely do we see those crazy acrobatic saves because he doesn't put himself into a position where he needs to pull those out.
UFO is offline  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #999
I'm better than you.
 
b0unce. [?]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East Van
Posts: 8,471
Thanked 3,055 Times in 654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
The ironic thing is that he's a better technical goalie now than he was in 06/07. Watching back at clips from then, some of his positioning and movements makes you cringe. He relied on having to scramble a lot back then and made a lot of saves that he shouldn't have been able to thanks to his athleticism. Today, he is a much more technically and positionally sound goalie and rarely do we see those crazy acrobatic saves because he doesn't put himself into a position where he needs to pull those out.
That's why watching Hasek was fun lol
__________________


'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]



FS: Active Autowerke F30 328/428 exhaust

FS: BNIB: BMW F30 Window Visor/Deflectors

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #1000
I have named my kids VIC and VLS
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 27,731
Thanked 7,281 Times in 2,573 Posts
Both TOR and NYR out on Shultz according to mckenzie and dreger

So EDM and Van now, I don't think OTT is in it
Hondaracer is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net