REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #13501
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
That's like saying Messier was a better player than Gretzky. Hey, The Great One participated in less than a handfull of fights in his career and needed Marty McSorley to protect him the entire time. MOAR LIKE TEH PATHETIC ONE I GUESS.
l0lz!!
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #13502
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
I believe the point he is trying to make is that we need players who play with heart and show emotion. Not necessarily fighting and being physical.

You look at Toews for example, small guy but when he playes you can just look at him and see the drive in his face and the desire to win that battle for the puck.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #13503
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Holy shit, anyone remember this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #13504

lmfao they dropped the stretcher l0lz wow....
Old 04-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #13505
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
I believe the point he is trying to make is that we need players who play with heart and show emotion. Not necessarily fighting and being physical.

You look at Toews for example, small guy but when he playes you can just look at him and see the drive in his face and the desire to win that battle for the puck.

Just my 2 cents.
And again, this is relative and based on YOUR emotions watching the game, not what's actually happening on the ice.

How do you know Daniel and Henrik don't play with fire? Their emotion is all about hurting the other team on the scoreboard, not physically where it doesn't fucking matter. How do you know every time either those guys get slashed, they aren't thinking "FUCK. YOU. NOW I WILL SCORE." which is exactly what they did during the 2010-11 run.

You don't know what they're thinking. You don't know what they say on the bench. Just because they don't play a physical game doesn't mean they don't play with heart.

Hockey players are different. Why don't the Sedins run around checking everything that moves or retaliating when they get hit? BECAUSE THAT ISN'T THEIR GAME.

...and I don't know if you've noticed but back-to-back scoring titles, a Hart, a Pearson and a bunch of other hardware...they seem to be pretty fucking good at their game.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #13506
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
^ hate to sound like the lowest denominator but how many Cups bra?

who gives a shit whats going on in their head? it's in THEIR head. That is not rubbing off onto the team you think when everyone else is sitting on the bench and Burrows is getting pumelled and the rest of the team watch sedins nonchalantly skate into a pile and one put a hand around a players shoulder that is inspiring "sticking up for one another" ?

I'm not in the room but i'd put money on neither of them ever standing up and making a point because no one could take them seriously and they know it. Henrik standing there and screaming at his team isnt going to get -anyone- going.

As other posters here have already described [which you have a hard time grasping] it's not about fighting, it's not about cheap shots, hell it's not even about grabbing that guy next to them and saying lets go out there and get a goal. Its about the "it" factor that ability to elevate your game in all aspects when it's needed the most

in the last two years there is not a single game i recall that the Sedins single handedly took over a game, and if there was it wasnt a meaningfull game.

now the "it" factor can be whatever you want it to be but i think you get the basic understanding so lets look at the playoff teams in the west:

CHI - Kane/Toews
ANA - Getzlaf/Perry
LA - Brown/Carter/Kopitar/Richards
SJ - Thornton/Marleau
MIN - Parise/Koivu/Pominville
STL - Backes/Perron
DET - Datsyuk/Zetterberg

can you honestly argue that ANY of those tandems/top players are softer to play against than the Sedins?

the Sedin top line has a trickle down effect on the team as a whole that puts additional pressure on the bottom 9

it isnt opinion it's fact.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #13507
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
After watching modano being dropped from the stretcher i clicked around and found a very very interesting video...

Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #13508

...Killer instinct...
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #13509
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
And again, you're basing this on your perception of what happens on the ice rather than what actually happens. You're thinking there's only one way to play hockey and win.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #13510

Well I hope they prove me wrong then
Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #13511
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

Odjick and Bure man.....and throw Sergio Momesso in that too..

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Old 04-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #13512

guys who never won nothing.

and obviously Bure played with way more of an edge than the Sedins do, the guy wouldnt take shit
Old 04-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #13513
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Holy shit, anyone remember this?

Mark Messier kills Mike Modano - YouTube
It was a clean hit for the time and I'm really shocked no one brought up how there was no fight after? the way it should happen and not cause you lay a guy out you have to fight after. I hate that BS now and so miss how it was like back in the day....
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #13514
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
Forget about standing up for their teammates, they don't even stand up for themselves...
They just saving it up for the playoffs yo

In all seriousness, I have noticed a bit more sandpaper in their game this year, not always, but at times, like from a wet sand 2000 grit to a dry sand 2000 grit, its still an improvment. This season I've actually noticed them go in at times to finish a hit on the forecheck, like actually throw a hit and not just bump into a guy. They've stuck up well in scrums for themselves. They are continuing to evolve as players. They will never turn into the pure drive/grit type players you guys are talking about, they don't have the speed or the brute strength, and like Ronin said its not their game, but they are adding elements of it to make their game more complete.

I'll cut them some slack til the playoffs and see how they do. There's no sense complaining about it now; if they're going to do anything its not going to be in a meaningless game against a team who won't make the playoffs.

Can you imagine if we make a deep run this year, future us would be singing the praises of Sestito, Weise, Ebbett?? I can't. But I hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #13515
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
i think the canucks have only won 3 games against playoff teams since the beginning of march. lol. i swear they've only played colorado, calgary, and the oilers for the last 6 weeks. there are 6 games left, including detroit, anaheim, stlouis, and chicago. will be a good indicator of what kind of shape they are really in.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #13516

The thing is, I don't BLAME the Sedin's for their style of play that lacks that intensity...honestly, that killer instinct is almost like something you are born with, or get when you are raised in a certain manner.....As a basketball coach, I've dealt with too many players who are highly talented, but just don't have that killer instinct, which sucks because those guys never live up their true potential....they just don't have it, and it's either too late for them to get it, or you're just born with it....One thing I've noticed about these talented guys I coached who lack this killer instinct though, is that they seem to be totally babied by their parents, or other people who raised them.....
Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #13517
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
i think the canucks have only won 3 games against playoff teams since the beginning of march. lol. i swear they've only played colorado, calgary, and the oilers for the last 6 weeks. there are 6 games left, including detroit, anaheim, stlouis, and chicago. will be a good indicator of what kind of shape they are really in.
They're saving it for the playoffs..

Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #13518
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
The thing is, I don't BLAME the Sedin's for their style of play that lacks that intensity...honestly, that killer instinct is almost like something you are born with, or get when you are raised in a certain manner.....As a basketball coach, I've dealt with too many players who are highly talented, but just don't have that killer instinct, which sucks because those guys never live up their true potential....they just don't have it, and it's either too late for them to get it, or you're just born with it....One thing I've noticed about these talented guys I coached who lack this killer instinct though, is that they seem to be totally babied by their parents, or other people who raised them.....
What you're talking about though sounds more like an Alex Kovalev or a Kostitsyn. I don't think anybody would dare say that the Sedins haven't reached their talent potential. It's a completely different style of play. They are about strategizing, puck movement, open ice utilization, play anticipation. That killer instinct you are talking about is but one style of play
Old 04-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #13519
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
who are you to BLAME the sedins for anything in the first place? You can't compare basketball to hockey since it's a completly different style of game with a completly different style of intesity....
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #13520
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Shit. I guess if Wayne Gretzky played with this intensity you're talking about he'd be the best of all time.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #13521

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
who are you to BLAME the sedins for anything in the first place? You can't compare basketball to hockey since it's a completly different style of game with a completly different style of intesity....
What a stupid response..."Who are you to judge?"....I could say that to any post in this thread....That's what everybody is doing...That's what fans do...judge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Shit. I guess if Wayne Gretzky played with this intensity you're talking about he'd be the best of all time.

Pretty sure Gretzky had that killer instinct and took over games all the time
Old 04-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #13522
Need to Seek Professional Help

I don't understand this whole 'killer instinct' talk. What is 'killer instinct' on the ice?
Laying a huge hit? Slashing someone? Punching someone in the face? Scoring hat-tricks?
Scoring PP goals?
Pretty vague term with no backup. That is why your argument is not really clear.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #13523

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhari View Post
I don't understand this whole 'killer instinct' talk. What is 'killer instinct' on the ice?
Laying a huge hit? Slashing someone? Punching someone in the face? Scoring hat-tricks?
Scoring PP goals?
Pretty vague term with no backup. That is why your argument is not really clear.
an aggressive tenacious urge for domination in a struggle to attain a set goal.
a strong will to win and an urge to succeed unmindful of the consequences for others. It is a fighting spirit. It is not flight but fight to the finish. It demonstrates ‘do or die’ scenario. It is a combative and competitive mentality to win at any cost.

It is confluence of courage, confidence, competence, fortitude, resilience and tenacity. It is combination of physical, mental and spiritual powers. Doing something even if the odds are insurmountable requires killer instinct. It is like having guts to try again whether you succeed or fail. It is like exploring the unknown without any fear of failure. At the same time, killer instinct does not mean being ferocious and careless in your approach. It outlines calculated strategy to maximize efficiency, effectiveness and safety.

Taken straight from this article, which seems like a good one:
"WHERE KNOWLEDGE IS WEALTH": Is Killer Instinct Essential for Success?

Sedin's just don't seem to have it on the level of certain other guys....Especially come playoffs, I rarely expect Sedin's to take control of the game; I remember couple years back when Kesler was healthy and having that great season, I'd expect HIM to take over games, and he would, but I've never had that feeling with the Sedin's...
Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #13524
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
I'm having trouble grasping this 'killer instinct' thing in hockey too. Instead of a single player having a killer instinct, maybe it's a team characteristic?

eg. Canucks are up 2-0, but end up blowing it, and eeking out a 3-2 win. Meanwhile Chicago will bury you 5-0.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #13525
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
What a stupid response..."Who are you to judge?"....I could say that to any post in this thread....That's what everybody is doing...That's what fans do...judge...

Pretty sure Gretzky had that killer instinct and took over games all the time
Dont think you've ever watched Gretzky lol
Closed Thread