REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #551
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^ not true. Schenn was 3.6mil and gustavsson was 1.35mil. JVR is a 4.25mil cap hit
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #552
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
That wouldn't be an issue for the leafs if they are able to move jvr for luongo

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #553
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
No one said Lu wanted out
he will deny it, and so will the canucks themselves

But yea, Luongo isnt classless, and will continue to play because I think we know Gillis wont move him for nothing even if he shits the bed

The Canucks can't afford to give him away since our depth overall as a team sucks.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #554
I'm better than you.

personally i think it's pointless to move either goalie unless whatever we get in return is well worth it. i'll feel more comfortable with 2 goalies going into the playoffs. if some freak accident happens, we'll have insurance. that's me playing it safe though.

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #555
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
personally i think it's pointless to move either goalie unless whatever we get in return is well worth it. i'll feel more comfortable with 2 goalies going into the playoffs. if some freak accident happens, we'll have insurance. that's me playing it safe though.
You don't say.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #556
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Luu is not going to the Leafs. Trading Schenn made space to sign Schultz

Phaneuf - Liles
Gardiner - Schultz

notbad.jpg
Old 06-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #557
I'm better than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
You don't say.
seems like everyone would rather run schneids & lack

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #558
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 View Post
Rly seems like leafs are clearing cap space, by letting go the Monster as well as Schenn; ssigh too much speculation
Brian Burke stands by James Reimer, similar to how he toughed it out with a back up calibre goaltender (Dan Cloutier) as a starter here in Vancouver. They also have Ben Scrivens who is NHL ready and has had success with the Toronto Marlies in the AHL. If they don't intend on re-signing the Monster they might as well try trading away his rights for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M5 View Post
i cant see Lu go back into that locker room, he got way too much pride and ego.

Start the season with Schneider and Lack as back up. Put Lu in the press box and away from the team to keep the distraction to a minimal
Nothing would hurt his trade value more than sending him to the press box. As the GM/coach, you try telling the owners you are going to pay Luongo $6.7M next year and have him sit.

Lack will not come up next year either. The Canucks goaltending prospects are getting rather thin at the moment. Matt Climie is scheduled to be a UFA and Joe Cannata was released from his tryout contract in April. In order to develop a goaltender like Eddie Lack he will need to see more and more games in the AHL and not be rushed into a backup role at the NHL level.

There are decent AHL and NHL backup calibre goaltenders available via Free Agency this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
No one said Lu wanted out
he will deny it, and so will the canucks themselves

But yea, Luongo isnt classless, and will continue to play because I think we know Gillis wont move him for nothing even if he shits the bed

The Canucks can't afford to give him away since our depth overall as a team sucks.
I don't think he wants out either but the casual fans and media are chasing him out of this city more than him wanting out. The entire team gets outplayed in the playoffs and everyone just points the finger at the goalie. Where was the rest of the team? This city won't be happy with Luongo until he starts scoring the goals too. Expect Ryan Kesler to be the next player to get thrown under the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 View Post
the luongo thing is rly dragging, doubt anything will happen anytime soon

Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns
Hearing the words of Dale Tallon and Brian Burke, it's very clear the asking price for Roberto Luongo is very high right now.
I doubt anything will happen prior to the start of the season. The Canucks are asking a very high price because the free agent crop of goalies is pretty limited this year. Many people think the Canucks absolutely must/will move him and that just isn't the case. I expect him to play come Training Camp.

The Canucks won't come out as a winner with a trade if they deal him at this point. What exactly do the Canucks need or what are they looking for right now? The only situation I see Luongo being dealt is if the Canucks take back players of similar salary and get draft picks as an incentive to take these crap contracts. The Canucks need a NHL ready roster player who can make an impact. I don't see the two speculated destinations to have players that the Canucks would want.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
The people who want Luongo out of this city never had to put up with the bullshit goaltending the Canucks had when the team sucked. The long time fans can appreciate the depth the team has in goal at the moment.

The Canucks have a reputation of playing well in the regular season and not showing up in the playoffs but Luongo is the only one to blame.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #560
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
Luu is not going to the Leafs. Trading Schenn made space to sign Schultz
That's the way I see it too but not for cap space since Schultz will be on entry level deal so ~900k/yr. More to show Schultz that he will be guaranteed top 4 minutes.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #561
Big Drama Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
That's the way I see it too but not for cap space since Schultz will be on entry level deal so ~900k/yr. More to show Schultz that he will be guaranteed top 4 minutes.
Yes, clearly not for cap space
Old 06-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #562
UFO

Gotta hand it to Burke for knowing how to play his pieces, although the move is a bit risky. Now has he done enough to show Schultz they have a team capable of winning?
Old 06-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #563
I'm better than you.

On paper, leafs actually look pretty good. I mean really they only need a forward, dman and goalie. iirc i think they have some solid guys like armstrong, grabovski, lupul, steckel, macarthur, kessel and lombardi and now jvr

their d is really just phaneuf, gardiner and gunnarsson? kind of scary how much they transformed the team from what it was.

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #564
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
You don't say.
You'd think it's THAT obvious, but it appears many people on here are so eagar to toss Lu asap,
that if they were MG, they'll almost be willing to trade him for a bag of pucks just to make a deal happen.

MG's not going to do anything retarded, so everyone, hold your horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Expect Ryan Kesler to be the next player to get thrown under the bus.
I don't really have a problem with Kesler, although I hate his ego. I'm just glad he's playing for the Canucks.
He was a beast in 2011, especially against Nashville in the playoffs. But he underachieved a lot this past season.
I think everyone is expecting him to redeem himself next season. But if he doesn't, and blame it on another hidden injury,
I think yes, he will get thrown under the bus.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 06-24-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I don't really have a problem with Kesler, although I hate his ego. I'm just glad he's playing for the Canucks.
He was a beast in 2011, especially against Nashville in the playoffs. But he underachieved a lot this past season.
I think everyone is expecting him to redeem himself next season. But if he doesn't, and blame it on another hidden injury,
I think yes, he will get thrown under the bus.
He overachieved in 2010/11 and now people expect him to score 40+ goals every year when he is a career 25 goal scorer at best.

Kesler is putting up Burrows-like numbers... but at 2.5x the price.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #566

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
what the hell i didn't say that
Old 06-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #567

Quote:
He overachieved in 2010/11 and now people expect him to score 40+ goals every year when he is a career 25 goal scorer at best.
I wouldn't say so much that he overachieved rather everything that could go right for him did go right that season. Stats padding on weak teams also helps the cause.

The Nashville series for me defines what Kesler's game can be at it's peak which is a savage 2-way forward. 25-30g seasons seem far more the norm for him. Maybe if he moved over to wing..

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #568
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Lack will not come up next year either. The Canucks goaltending prospects are getting rather thin at the moment. Matt Climie is scheduled to be a UFA and Joe Cannata was released from his tryout contract in April. In order to develop a goaltender like Eddie Lack he will need to see more and more games in the AHL and not be rushed into a backup role at the NHL level.
Actually Joe Cannata is still under contract with the Canucks. He signed his entry level deal in March. He played the last game of the season for the Wolves on his ATO and was released from that try out the next day as he was ineligible to play in the playoffs. Went back and finished his degree. He's expected to play with the Wolves next season.

But you're right. After Cannata, there's only Hoznik and the scouting reports on him over the past year don't look very good. Hopefully he can rebound next season with Cape Breton.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #569
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
what the hell i didn't say that
lol, what the hell, how did I end up quoting you??
my bad. I'll fix it.

Quote:

Kesler is putting up Burrows-like numbers... but at 2.5x the price.
I don't really care about his goals though, but more concerned about the points he generates. He had a back-to-back 70pt season.
I would think at the very least, a 5mil player should be able to consistently get at least 60+ pts each season. Hope to see him bounce back next season.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #570
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
what kessler is able to bring to the team is worth a whole fuck load more than the difference between 40 and 30 goal seasons. hes the guy on our team with the ability to take the game over when someone needs to, change momentum and generate energy, hes a selke guy with incredible 2 way ability and shuts down the other teams top guys while still putting up 70 point seasons, and our top PK forward. id rather see him score 25 goals every season but run the game than put in 50 goals on the PP. i wanted to cry and hug the guy watching him try to get something going in game 7 against boston. there were 4 guys on the team who kept playing and he was one of them, and he couldn't even skate. kes, hansen, burrows, and higgins will get a pass from me forever for the heart they showed.

so many short sighted guys here. he had a bad season last year due to absolutely no off season training, no training camp, and a late start, and then played half the season with a bum shoulder.

when hes healthy hes an absolute beast. when hes injured in the playoffs he starts doing the soccer thing (think healthy chicago/nash/SJ vs injured boston/LA series. 2 different guys)
Old 06-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #571
My homepage has been set to RS

Don't know the legitimacy of this, but interesting none the less. If true, Gillis' asking price is too high.

Quote:
NHL Rumour Mill ‏@NHL_Rumour_Mill
Mike Gillis and Brian Burke stay in Pittsburgh 1 more day to discuss Luongo. #NHL #Canucks #MapleLeafs #TradeCentre #SNTrade #LuongoWatch
Quote:
NHL Rumour Mill ‏@NHL_Rumour_Mill
Gillis asking for two 1st rounders + Gardiner, Burke refuses to move Gardiner. #NHL #Canucks #MapleLeafs #TradeCentre #SNTrade #LuongoWatch
Old 06-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #572
Big Drama Show

You can usually tell who's legit by looking at their followers. Too many garbage rumors being posted.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #573
My homepage has been set to RS

Yeah I know that, but it doesn't seem like it's too far off to be a garbage rumor. Burke did say the asking price was too high.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #574
Big Drama Show

I would do Lu for Gardiner, but Burke knows he has to keep gard if he wants a shot at schultz
Old 06-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #575
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
interesting, i would also do lu for gardiner but doubt that will happen
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
Closed Thread