REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #3126
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
i feel really bad for the staff at the arena, having worked there prior to the 04 lockout and into it, pay took a big dive as there were no events meaning no shifts.
tell me about it. i just lost 5 shifts this upcoming schedule due to the fucking lockout.
Advertisement

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 09-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #3127
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I know you can't blame it all on one person, but..

I would like to punch Gary Bettman in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #3128
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I know you can't blame it all on one person, but..

I would like to punch Gary Bettman in the face.
Its the players. The owners aren't guaranteed revenue unlike the greedy members of the NHLPA.

I would punch Crosby right in the face. Always the poster boy attending all the meetings. He has one of the biggest contracts in the league and always complaining hes not getting paid enough. Fuck him, look how many people are going to be out of work this season, not just players but bars, arena workers etc., because of him being a greedy fucking asshole.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #3129
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
It's a union...the biggest figureheads of the game obviously need to tow the company line, Crosby isn't going to come out and say the players are wrong and owners are right.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #3130
Need to Seek Professional Help

3 lockouts in under 20 years...
Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #3131
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Crosby should go to a struggling franchise and help build its way up. Oh wait even Tavares cant do anything.

Last edited by Mike Oxbig; 09-16-2012 at 08:00 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #3132
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Love him or hate him, hes still the best hockey player on the planet and he got there by working his ass off. Seems like everyone is jealous of success and hes the most success individual out there. Just like how everyone is jealous of the Canucks and there "regular season" success
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #3133
MOD

Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #3134
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
Its the players. The owners aren't guaranteed revenue unlike the greedy members of the NHLPA.

I would punch Crosby right in the face. Always the poster boy attending all the meetings. He has one of the biggest contracts in the league and always complaining hes not getting paid enough. Fuck him, look how many people are going to be out of work this season, not just players but bars, arena workers etc., because of him being a greedy fucking asshole.
It's the owners fault for handing out these stupid ass contracts

Ovechkin, Crosby, Parise, Suter, etc.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #3135
HELP ME PLS!!!

you know how little fans seem to care right now about this lockout? noone on my fb feed posted ANYTHING about it whatsoever. I think amongst my friends, we are all just pissed off at BOTH the owners and players. Hockey is still our favorite, but go Whitecaps and Lions!!

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #3136
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Initial D 5th Stage.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #3137
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
you know how little fans seem to care right now about this lockout? noone on my fb feed posted ANYTHING about it whatsoever. I think amongst my friends, we are all just pissed off at BOTH the owners and players. Hockey is still our favorite, but go Whitecaps and Lions!!
A) your casual fan knows nothing about the business side of the NHL

B) your hardcore fan, like most of us, havent heard any new news on basically anything for months it seems..
Old 09-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #3138
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
I'm a hardcore fan and havn't posted anything on my FB about it.... I'm just really sad and don't want to talk about it
Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #3139
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Ebisu lost a bunch of sales when they got eliminated in Round 1, we were PACKED and BUMPING (free beer and shots lol) every game! ... and now it looks like we're set to lose more unless these greedy SOBs can get their shit together ...
Old 09-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #3140
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Ebisu lost a bunch of sales when they got eliminated in Round 1, we were PACKED and BUMPING (free beer and shots lol) every game! ... and now it looks like we're set to lose more unless these greedy SOBs can get their shit together ...
thats exactly it, i remember i needed those shifts thru school back in 04. It paid my bills while giving me time to study.

Then Lockout came, and yea, as ghostrider says, loss of shifts=no pay

I dont know exactly, but it seems to me that Bettman is using the players as a way to fund his project of the south while keeping the revenue in the richer teams. There is NO WAY the owners will pony up any of their money to Bettman. As long as the money is coming in somewhere, then the owners get paid.

Problem is, with the revenue growth and the cap, what once was the cap at 39m is now the cap floor in which teams must hit. Shitty markets can't keep up and we are back to square one.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #3141
HELP ME PLS!!!

Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #3142
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I've got to say I'm still on the players' side for the time being. It's not Bettman's direct fault, he is carrying out the wishes of the owners as a group. Basically the owners of the rich teams don't want to give any more of their cut to help support the financially weak teams, you can't blame them for that it's a business not a charity.

On the players' side though, they are just playing off the CBA which they were pretty much forced to accept during the last lockout, which was the contract and system the NHL/owners wanted. The players got collectively owned during the last lockout. They see league revenues grow by over 50% during that period, and the owners are crying that the system is unsustainable and want to take contracted salaries away from players to help support the struggling teams. If I was a player I would be all WTF too, why should I have to pay for a messed up system that is broken and unsustainable; it's not my problem I just play hockey. If 57% split was too much for owners to pay, they should have been able to figure out back in 2005 that 50% was the number that they really wanted/needed. Business guys like Bettman and co. are smarter than they show.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #3143
Work hard, Play Hard - Wiz

Thanked 2,011 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
“@kbieksa3: Day 1 of lockout almost over. Thanks for all the support from the fans. This affects a lot of people-hope NHL figures out soon. #cbaproblems”

Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #3144
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

this article is a couple months old and may be a repost but describes the current problem perfectly, and not much has really changed since July. I've pulled out the key points, and bolded the reasons why we are where we are: Why NHL teams cry poor despite the league

Quote:
The major issue, however, is that the $280-million profit margin (or whatever the precise figure is) is going almost entirely to the league’s top teams. The Leafs, for one, likely make up $100-million or more a season of that figure, even after giving up the league’s largest revenue sharing donation to the less fortunate teams. Add in the Rangers, Habs, Canucks, Red Wings, Bruins, Blackhawks and Flyers – all healthy franchises – and there’s another $240-million or so. So there’s eight franchises and we’re already well over the $280-million profit figure we’ve estimated for 2010-11.

Where the league is suffering and why we may have yet another lockout (the third under Bettman) is (a) the bottom 10 teams have revenues so low they can’t cover their expenses and (b) those at the top have little intention of helping them do so more than they already are.

It’s an owner versus owner problem more than it is an owner versus player one

“We know what they didn’t do. NHL clubs did not meaningfully revenue share between the big and small markets. After accepting a salary cap, a 24 per cent rollback and making other significant concessions last time, with revenues up over 50 per cent since 2005, why look to the players again?”

The answer is easy: Bettman and Co. believe they will have far more luck prying $200- or $300-million out of the players than the big moneyed teams, the owners of which feel they’ve given up enough of their advantage by agreeing to a cap, some limited revenue sharing and greater parity.

The frustration on the players’ side is that in many instances this is more a revenue problem than a player salary problem – and they have little say in how to correct the vast revenue imbalance in the league.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #3145
MOD

Quote:

Old 09-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #3146
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,716 Times in 422 Posts
This sucks big time. Guess I'll have to get my hockey fix by playing NHL 13 lol

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
Old 09-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #3147
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Its going to be a long lockout... CBJ PHX NYI are struggling big time. NYI are doing worst than the CBJ when it comes to revenues lol. If the islanders relocate to seattle they should use this as the Seattle Seaman's :

Old 09-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #3148
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,796 Times in 1,762 Posts
This lockout is such a bag of bullshit. As far as I'm concerned it's one bunch of rich whiners against another bunch of rich whiners.

It really shows how little they care about the people who really pay their way... The fans.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Old 09-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #3149
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
This lockout is such a bag of bullshit. As far as I'm concerned it's one bunch of rich whiners against another bunch of rich whiners.

It really shows how little they care about the people who really pay their way... The fans.
lol. in the grand scheme of things... that's pretty much it.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #3150
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post

Billionaires complaining about millionaires

The average worth of the NHL owners is 1.5 billion
Posted via RS Mobile
Closed Thread