REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #14201
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Maybe I'm just thinking too much along the lines of "class"
I know it sucks when you're a Dman and you get caught flat and you see a player whiz past.

The "interference" penalty is called based on a very specific type of play.
But in some ways, I find this another form of interference too.

-Skate harder and catch the guy if he's on a breakaway.
-Desperation dive/lunge and try to take out the puck if the defender thinks it's worth the risk of giving up a penalty shot opportunity if he misses.

I don't mind if the defender can catch up to the player and clutch-n-grab to distrupt him.
Maybe even a bit of stick tugging (hooking).
But hacking with no intention of going for the puck when clearly beat is just poor sportsmanship and shouldn't be tolerated.
It's a dangerous play imo, which can lead to freak accidents if it catches the player in the wrong spot.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #14202
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
When you're two steps behind a breakaway, what else can you do to help out your goalie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Keith could have dove and swung at the puck/Daniel's feet and it would have been a cleaner play even if it trips him up, at least it makes it look like he was trying to play some D.
Well looking at how effective his slash ended up being anyways, a dive and attempt to swipe the puck and then 'inadvertently' the feet would have been the more effective play, and at least a good attempt at making a 'hockey play' instead of a hopeless slash to the body potentially causing injury. Its better for the optics of the sport too when guys with sticks in their hands are not swinging them around and using them as weapons. Could you imagine if baseball players hung onto their bats in some of their bench brawls?

Had Daniel not scored, a penalty shot still could have been awarded for the slash as it denied him a reasonable scoring chance, or at least lessened the effectiveness of it. Obviously it would have been up to the discretion of the ref:

(iii) The player in possession and control (or, in the judgment of the Referee, clearly would have obtained possession and control of the puck) must have been denied a reasonable chance to score (the fact that he got a shot off does not automatically eliminate this play from the penalty shot consideration criteria. If the foul was from behind and he was denied a “more” reasonable scoring opportunity due to the foul, then the penalty shot should be awarded);
Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #14203
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Well looking at how effective his slash ended up being anyways, a dive and attempt to swipe the puck and then 'inadvertently' the feet would have been the more effective play, and at least a good attempt at making a 'hockey play' instead of a hopeless slash to the body potentially causing injury. Its better for the optics of the sport too when guys with sticks in their hands are not swinging them around and using them as weapons. Could you imagine if baseball players hung onto their bats in some of their bench brawls?
I'd agree that swinging to get the puck would be a good alternative however Daniel was already in pretty deep. If Keith did trip Daniel and both of them slid into Crawford causing him injury it would have been a terrible play by Keith. I'd rather get a penalty than lose my starting goalie right before playoffs.

There's a difference with baseball and hockey too.. Hockey players have a ton of protection. Keith's slash really wasn't that bad either. Compare that to Hall's slash on Michalek and Keith's was just a tap.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #14204
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
The tank job is in full effect tonight lol, Flames vs Preds lines for tonight

Quote:
Baertschi-Reinhart-Cervenka
Hudler-Horak-Aliu
Bancks-Byron-McGrattan
Hanowski-Street-Jones

VS

Butler-Legwand-Forsberg
Kostitsyn-Spaling-Bang
Clune-Smith-Halischuk
Henderson-Mueller-Watson
Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #14205
My homepage has been set to RS

lol nashville, just one year removed away from being cup contenders and they are fighting for top draft pick now

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #14206
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
^
Wow, read those lineups too quickly, and you won't even know what NHL team it belongs to!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #14207
x_x

Quote:
The slash was all keith could do. He was 2-3 strides behind Daniel, and 100% beat.

There's a reason players wear the type of protective gear that they do. Slashes happen all the time, and Daniel wasnt even fazed on the play.

Also, baseball is completely irrelevant.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #14208
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
It's a slash on a breakaway, they happen all the time so whats the issue or the dispute here? It's a everyday hockey move if a player is on a breakaway and the player is trying to stop it.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #14209
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Hanowski-Street-Jones
My coworker pointed out that their 4th line sounds like a Jewish rapstar, but needs quotations around "Street"
Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #14210
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
It's a slash on a breakaway, they happen all the time so whats the issue or the dispute here? It's a everyday hockey move if a player is on a breakaway and the player is trying to stop it.
No dispute. Just voicing my opinion that I would prefer to see a more skillful "puck/man-on" defending in stopping breakaways, rather than "intentional injury-risk chopping" at a player.

Sometimes the class and sportsmanship in hockey is so borderline.

Being too slow or out of position isn't an excuse to hack from behind,
especially if it's not even going for the stick.

Why should it be an "everyday hockey move"?

Off the top of my head, I actually recall more hooking than slashing on breakaways though.
Which I'm totally fine with. (Still should be peanlized, but it doesn't raise a "red flag" for me.)

Anyway, i'm not here to re-write NHL rules. So i'll leave it at that.
(at least we're discussing hockey now and not about real estate of photography anymore)
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #14211
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Hockey is a rough game.... the elbows, slashing, hacking lots of crap going on that we never notice on tv. That being said its been cleaning up a whole lot from the 80's and 90's but it's part of the game and will always be part of the game.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #14212
Rs has made me the man i am today!

That was a hockey reaction play..don't see why people here are fussing about it. If Daniel was in the same position he would have done it as well.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #14213
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,119 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
David Booth ‏@D_Booth7 14m

I love when people post #selfies
Quote:
Strombone Strombone ‏@strombone1 6m

@D_Booth7 like this one?
View photo
Quote:
David Booth David Booth ‏@D_Booth7 1m

@strombone1 yea its like my favorite one. but is that even me?
Luongo is fucking hilarious. And yesterday thing on Kesler..
Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #14214
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmhaze View Post
The slash was all keith could do. He was 2-3 strides behind Daniel, and 100% beat.

There's a reason players wear the type of protective gear that they do. Slashes happen all the time, and Daniel wasnt even fazed on the play.

Also, baseball is completely irrelevant.
I don't buy that at all. Keith reached him with a slash, he could have reach him with a hook or a tug. He could have tried for a dive and swipe if he wanted, yes there may be a chance at injury if they fall and crash or whatever, that's the risk of the game on a play for the puck. Trying to reach for the guy to make a check and tapping him is one thing, being able to reach him with a 2 handed slash is antoher thing.

I'm with AznNightmare, I acknowledge with you guys its a common hockey play, but why should it be? That's the point I was making with the baseball example, I know its way out there. Hockey players wear gear not because they expect to get slashed in the upper body, just like how they don't expect to be hit from behind in the boards. Sure accidents happen, but accidents are accidents, and this one was not. Daniel wasn't fazed on that particular play, but he could have just as easily had his arm or wrist broken on the exact same play. You just never know with these sorts of things. You guys need to review the video of Kevin Ware snapping his leg clean when he landed from a leap?

I guarantee you guys the tone in here would be different on the exact same play had Daniel sustained injury. Some of you guys need to be working with Shanaban and assess penalties based on injury
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #14215
UFO

Lu's getting bored, lol.

The unfortunate thing about the Flames vs. Preds game, SOMEbody has to emerge the winner lol
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #14216
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Personally didn't mind Ketih's slash, penalty worthy for sure though but his post game comment was pretty douchey

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
Old 04-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #14217
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
The Flames roster for tonight is literally the AHL Heat team.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #14218
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
The Flames roster for tonight is literally the AHL Heat team.
The Flames roster, even when healthy, is similar to their AHL team.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #14219
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Jets down 2-0 to the caps..no playoffs again for winnipeg...I haate the jets..
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #14220

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
Jets down 2-0 to the caps..no playoffs again for winnipeg...I haate the jets..
Posted via RS Mobile
2-0 at the end of the 1st period and you are calling it game over?......The things this guy says....
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #14221
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Jets score. 2-1.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #14222
Big Drama Show

what channel is the jets game?
Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #14223

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
what channel is the jets game?
Should be on TSN2.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #14224
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
The unfortunate thing about the Flames vs. Preds game, SOMEbody has to emerge the winner lol
not if chinese and south korean badminton teams have anything to say about it.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #14225
Big Drama Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
Should be on TSN2.
It's showing the Celtic game
Closed Thread