REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Coming out of a long-term job

So tomorrow's my last day at the private ESL school I've been working at for nearly the past six years. I'm looking to change what I do, and am having a hard time finding anything that doesn't require "2+ years of [fillintheblank] experience". I've applied to a couple of "no previous experience necessary", jobs, but the one that replied to me said that I was "overexperienced, and we'd be taking a risk bringing you in just to possibly see you out just as quickly. Best of luck in your search."

I don't want to stay in the education industry; I love the job but I hate the politicking and the test-focused bullshit. I'm looking for something like retail sales or call centre or SOMETHING that will get me out. But I'm facing the giant hurdle of having been locked in that job for such a long time, that all my other skills seem old or outdated.

I'm also facing the uphill battle of not having a bachelor's degree. I did 2 years at BCIT for business, but foolishly decided not to keep going and get a degree from that. So I am both over- and under-experienced, over- and under-qualified, and in a quandry on what to do. My personal contacts seem to have no leads as far as work or jobs; what are my best options? Should I go looking at a recruiting company like Manpower? I don't want to end up with an unstable source of income, working 1-2 days every now and again; would they be able to set me up with something more permanent more quickly?

I'm at wit's end and am feeling anxious about having to live off savings. It's not that I can't...it's just that it really bothers me having to eat into it.
Advertisement
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,005 Times in 231 Posts
what about finishing your degree? find some decent part time job.. hammer out the rest of your schooling
Renthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
The Lone Wanderator

That's the plan.

There are complications as far as the degree goes; long story short since I've been out for so long the paperwork is ridiculous.

As of late, I've been applying for PT and FT jobs; none of which I've had success with of late. I've been applying for the last three weeks, and have tweaked my resume a couple times each time.

I have realized that business management and education are both decent jobs, but the amount of work to make yourself differentiated is just ridiculous; once I go back, it'll be for Engineering, something easily employable (thanks to the multitudes of certificates one can acquire while being educated).

My issue is what to do in the meantime. I'm looking at falling back to labour (which I'd really rather not do; having worked in a warehouse for nearly a year, my vocabulary went from uni-level to dropping f-bombs every second word at the least), but I'd much rather get into something social like sales or customer service. Yet because I've been locked into education for so long and never had solid retail experience (3 years of starbucks ages ago; and yes I've reapplied to them too) I'm having difficulty getting any traction anywhere.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Look at Telus, Shaw, Rogers, Bell, Wireless Wave, etc.

You have a background in education, so you're capable of explaining topics to those who aren't aware. You obviously have good communication skills and patience, or you would've bombed as a teacher from the start.

Not every company needs someone with prior experience. I have heard of people who work for Shaw as installers who have no technical background at all (EG: artists).

Also, this may go without saying, but tailor your resume for each posting. Identify their needs and make every point in your resume as close to an answer to their neeeds as possible.

IMHO, a call center would be the last place I'd want to go to.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
The Lone Wanderator

Done, will do, no, done, will do.

I can't sell something I don't believe in; no matter how hard I want to, I end up having problems. So finding something I believe in is a challenge.

Tailoring my resume is also something that kind of drives me nuts; I've only got so many things I've done, and it drives me nuts trying to think about how to reword things to focus on sales or admin or whatnot.

Oh, I should also mention that I've applied for a couple of admin jobs; even got an interview. Called back to see how it went...and was transferred to the woman that was hired. Office admin/reception is unfortunately a very challenging place to get into as a guy.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I see a lot of collections call center jobs on craigslist. There is not a lot to go on based on your post. What do you like? Atleast post a few "would love to work there right now" type of companies so we can get an idea.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Check out the top employers of BC and all their openings:
BC's Top Employers
Old 06-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
The Lone Wanderator

Top employers is where I've looked; Wind, Bell, Flight Centre, Telus, Starbucks. If I can, I'd prefer a structured environment, and something corporate that would allow me an opportunity to learn.

I've had some bad experience with franchisees before and I'd hate to leave a 6-year job for a 2-week one.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

What are your takes on a bank teller position?
I assume you did general business at BCIT. With you education background and the ability "dumb things" down for people - you might have a leg up on other candidates..

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
The Lone Wanderator

The thought had crossed my mind, yet every time I'd gone through postings I've forgotten to swing by the big banks. Many thanks for the suggestion/reminder!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

"I don't want to stay in the education industry; I love the job but I hate the politicking and the test-focused bullshit."

What do you mean? politics are everywhere in the work environment. Same shit different pile.

I can understand the "test-focused bullshit"... but the stress entirely is not on you, it's on the student. When it's a sales job, targets are the only thing your boss look at. Also, I think a sales focused job would not generate steady income or offer stability.

Look into banks if you are into sales. Office type environment and relatively regular business hours. Banks don't require any degree or education for entry level jobs.

Last edited by TRDood; 06-14-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Tiger beat me to a teller job, I am also recommending a Financial Advisor job too.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #12

I got a marketing degree and thought my resume was the tits as I had modelled it from a variety of websites..
turned out it still sucked and I paid for an HR resume pro to rewrite me a couple of different resumes.. sales, marketing, etc.. might be worth trying?
I got better responses from potential employers..

do you have any buddies or other contacts that can get you in at their work?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
The Lone Wanderator

The private ESL school industry here is a bit more complicated than just your usual office politics.

Let's look at my school.

My school is owned on paper by a guy who runs it independently but is also a shareholder in one of the student agencies here. Each of the owners of the schools owns a piece of this agency, and as such the agency promotes the schools which it owns. A good 20-30% of the tuition students pay go into the agency, and as such the school makes fuck all money, yet we are constantly harped on to work harder, promote the school, and retain students. Oh, and told that there's no money for prep or raises because the students don't want to pay more.

We are also often told to go and promote courses at agency meetings where we are not told who we will be meeting, what we will be doing, or how we will manage this without our commensurate materials. Nobody is kept in the loop with what will happen beyond this current week, hours fluctuate based on student volume, teacher "popularity" and the whims of the management.

I absolutely love being in the classroom. I hate that everything outside of it is in constant attack mode. Lack of communication and openness about procedures, standards, expectations and stability are what has driven me to finally escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renthal View Post
I got a marketing degree and thought my resume was the tits as I had modelled it from a variety of websites..
turned out it still sucked and I paid for an HR resume pro to rewrite me a couple of different resumes.. sales, marketing, etc.. might be worth trying?

Any way I can find someone to unfuck my resume?

Tried tapping friends (so to speak) and have come up dry.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
i really suggest taking a certificate program at VCC.

Alot of jobs need filling and a simple 1 month certificate can net you a job that pays 20-21 an hour.

it's what I'm doing. I really need a more stimulating job for the next 3 years, and I've desired to long work in a hospital.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

I think talking to a career counsellor would help you get going in the right direction since they would be familiar with the challenges someone in your situation would be going through, along with the status of the current job market.

My best advice is to try calling these guys to see if they can help. I believe their services are free. Hopefully, they can also give you cover letter and resume training and feedback.

WorkBC Employment Services Program

Also, try BCIT career advising to see what they offer to alums.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renthal View Post

how much did you pay and where did you get it done. rather interesting service...

Old 06-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Keep looking and ask the companies you're interested in if there's any positions. Even if they don't have any listed openings doesn't mean they aren't hiring. It took me 2+ months to find a job and mine came from a random email to the company.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
How I Mod your mother

Its not easy finding a job. I'm trying to find just summer work and even thats tough.
I've gone as far as going back to basics, going to the mall and applying at retail stores and most say they arent hiring or to apply online which has already been done.

Alot of people I've talked to said it took them at least 3 months to find work
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
how much did you pay and where did you get it done. rather interesting service...
my gf got laid off from a large global organization as they outsourced her department… everyone got assistance from some "get you back in the workforce" company, and the lady she dealt with did resume redo's on the side.

I think it was like 200 bucks but I feel well worth it as she completely redid my cover letters and resumes and made me a bunch of different resumes for different jobs

i'm sure there are tons of other places that do it.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Sent you PM

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Sigh if only you posted this up 3 weeks ago. We were hiring 1 CSR and 1CSR/TSR. Really nice company, nice and friendly ppl you will meet, hours isn't bad and you get to surf RS while at work.......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
Need to Seek Professional Help

pm sent
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Any luck G?

I've tried applying at many places, and even the most labour intense/security jobs with no luck as a secondary job.

I've decided to just take my temporary under-employement and learn a second language and pre-read courses I have coming up in september.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
The Lone Wanderator

Thanks for the PMs guys, I'll be replying shortly.

This weekend was hectic with family stuff and trying to calm myself down from being jobless. I've scored a couple tutoring students from my old school, so I'm good for money for now. Talked with the folks and they suggested I do some aptitude testing to help me figure out what to put on a resume and what I should look for better. Employment BC seems to be helpful, we'll see how that turns out later this week.

Hopefully, we can turn this from a "holy shit this sucks for me" thread into a "Hey guys when you need help look at this thread." thread.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
sorry but how old are you, i jut want to gauge your age and your experience.

to be honest, if you're still young and before 30, i HIGHLY suggest you gooing back to school and getting something solid cause I can tell you, when you hit 35-40, you wouldn't want to be in retail / hourly wages sector. In order for you to hit the 50k mark, you don't just apply for the job, you have to network.

As of now, i would apply to Manpower which is a temp agency to get by.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote