REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #26
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

^+1

I'm not going to say where I work but we do the samething. If we get something back and the seal's broken we just write a return slip to the company that made it saying something's defective so we don't lose profit for selling it cheap or throwing it out.
Advertisement
K-bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yot065 View Post
cereal? couldnt i then like buy something walk out, go back in grab the same item and walk out and say i bought this already ? would have to look at a camera to know i took 2 items lol or walk by unseen by the cash attendant for the first time

was I the only one that noticed?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #28
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
Thats just fucked LOL
I know........ So many good items went to waste.....not sure if the policy have changed now (I work there 10+ years ago.).
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #29
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
was I the only one that noticed?
nothing wrong with cereal
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Interestingly enough, the place where I used to work (large electronics store), the manager was having a rough day. He decided that he was going to be an ass and wasn't going to return "big-ticket items." TVs, expensive speakers, car audio, warranties, etc. were not going to be returned so his daily numbers didn't look bad.

A few guys came in with expensive products and wanted to return them and our manager refused them making up bogus claims about damage on the products. Those customers should've stood their ground and demanded their refunds but I suppose they didn't want any conflict.

Once I caught on to this, I ended up telling the customers to come back and xx:xx time and that I would gladly return them for them then (that manager was off by then.) Probably had 4-5 people that had to make two trips to return their products but at the end of the day, they managed to refund them.

Customers should know their rights and return policies for each individual store. Don't get taken advantage of. No one can refuse to return a product that is within the return policy and in its original condition. The only thing they can do is prevent you from buying more things from their store. Again, that's not to say you should take advantage of the system and rent things and then come onto a forum for reassurance. But know your rights and stand your ground. One call to head office for any one of these major retail stores will have store-level management bending over backwards to help you return your product lol.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #31
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
Well as a retail store who like others try to at least appear like they care about customer service...they should accept the items you return regardless. However, if ur one of those people who use it once and return it like for clothes where one hides the tags...then I could see them being upset..but I think they should/would accept it
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #32
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Just so you know, every time you return a product for a bogus excuse, ie: say it's defective when it's not....It goes back to a depot. The more products that go to depot, the more cost that is involved for the company. The higher the costs involved, the higher the products will end up costing. You're only screwing over yourself and the rest of us in the long run.

this is soo true, not to mention wasting the employee's time. When I was younger, I always hated when cheap fucks would return WORN materials and get into Policy arguments because the stores policy is we dont accept worn or used merchandise. If the tags and stickers are cut off, it looks like its been stretched and worn and crinkled, then there's a good chance you wore it. There's a reason why we have tags must be still on policy.

I also hate waiting in line one time where this older asian asshole tried to return shoes saying he didnt wear it when the shoe obviously was all black with dirt underneath and looked like he's worn it out in the rain, yet he still tries to return it.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #33
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Interestingly enough, the place where I used to work (large electronics store), the manager was having a rough day. He decided that he was going to be an ass and wasn't going to return "big-ticket items." TVs, expensive speakers, car audio, warranties, etc. were not going to be returned so his daily numbers didn't look bad.

A few guys came in with expensive products and wanted to return them and our manager refused them making up bogus claims about damage on the products. Those customers should've stood their ground and demanded their refunds but I suppose they didn't want any conflict.

Once I caught on to this, I ended up telling the customers to come back and xx:xx time and that I would gladly return them for them then (that manager was off by then.) Probably had 4-5 people that had to make two trips to return their products but at the end of the day, they managed to refund them.

Customers should know their rights and return policies for each individual store. Don't get taken advantage of. No one can refuse to return a product that is within the return policy and in its original condition. The only thing they can do is prevent you from buying more things from their store. Again, that's not to say you should take advantage of the system and rent things and then come onto a forum for reassurance. But know your rights and stand your ground. One call to head office for any one of these major retail stores will have store-level management bending over backwards to help you return your product lol.
+ 1, always look at the store's return policy, and know your rights.

if they have a credit only or some other policy, dont make a scene because you have no receipt etc when the policy states receipt required.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #34
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Fyi I work at a canadian tire and items that are returned and cannot be resold to the customer as an open box or have freight damage are often sold to the employees at super low prices. I work in service and some of my coworkers have picked up dirt cheap tools. I'm talking about an impact socket set that mightve sold for 100 on sale (c tire items are always on sale lol) have gone for 20$ because the box was damaged or an imperial socket was put in instead of a metric.
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoo- View Post
Fyi I work at a canadian tire and items that are returned and cannot be resold to the customer as an open box or have freight damage are often sold to the employees at super low prices. I work in service and some of my coworkers have picked up dirt cheap tools. I'm talking about an impact socket set that mightve sold for 100 on sale (c tire items are always on sale lol) have gone for 20$ because the box was damaged or an imperial socket was put in instead of a metric.
Awesome, you can answer a question for me.

Does everyone that works there hate it so bad that they need to take it out on the customers?

The store just has such a negative vibe...all of them.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #36
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Don't they put items that in that pile of "clearance" items also? Visited the kingsway & victoria and cambie location and they both have clearance tables. Sometimes you find quite nice stuff on those tables
iKayChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

Does everyone that works there hate it so bad that they need to take it out on the customers?

The grandview location especially. I've never had such a hard time trying to get employees to check if something was in stock for me. Such poor customer service there.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #38
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Experience/rambling:
It's pretty scattered:
I used to work there...part-time 2 years ago. Checking stock is real easy, but the store is quite big so its hard to get help and the inventory system is not foolproof. When I worked there, some managers were iffy and that may have permeated to the lower employees. They pay near minimum wage and have a preference to hire immigrants. Their training program is a flawed(e-schooling [has a diff name]) because it expects that employees learn about product via a training module, which you can coast through in 5 minutes. They also do not teach you how to react in certain situations (such as ordering more stock/security procedures). Just remember that if the worker is in a red shirt, he/she is prob getting $8.68/hr or is an immigrant trying to make ends meet.

I thought the hardest part of the job was answering questions. There are a lot of product, but I have a preference for learning by tagging along with a supervisor. Their training is way too technology-based (powerpoint, modules which do not help).

I understand the inventory problem where you go to a store and it's out of stock, then you get sent to another store, only to discover that they do not have either. I used to tell customers to call ahead (which is bad, I know). Checking stock also requires going to the warehouse. The main floor warehouse is really big and the "associates" have to weave their way through customers. It's not that they're ignoring you, it's more they have to reach the warehouse, then go back to the waiting customer.

Also, do not buy a bike there. Small shops provide way more service and flexibility. Some products that get returned, can be restocked, it happened a lot in sporting goods.

Customers are generally okay to help. On the job, one would experience at least one a****** per day and that experience with that one a****** customer can permeate. Other than that though, I thought they were okay to deal with. The demoralization is perhaps due to just working there. When it gets demanding, pressure does set in, I remember I was quite energetic on my last day.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #39
I don't get it

i would be careful in buying those with Clearance things at Canadian tire...2nd hand returns. bought a Sony CD player for 60 bucks regular 150...just one week broken nob and wouldn't read usb!
mercyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #40
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
Experience/rambling:
It's pretty scattered:
I used to work there...part-time 2 years ago. Checking stock is real easy, but the store is quite big so its hard to get help and the inventory system is not foolproof. When I worked there, some managers were iffy and that may have permeated to the lower employees. They pay near minimum wage and have a preference to hire immigrants. Their training program is a flawed(e-schooling [has a diff name]) because it expects that employees learn about product via a training module, which you can coast through in 5 minutes. They also do not teach you how to react in certain situations (such as ordering more stock/security procedures). Just remember that if the worker is in a red shirt, he/she is prob getting $8.68/hr or is an immigrant trying to make ends meet.

I thought the hardest part of the job was answering questions. There are a lot of product, but I have a preference for learning by tagging along with a supervisor. Their training is way too technology-based (powerpoint, modules which do not help).

I understand the inventory problem where you go to a store and it's out of stock, then you get sent to another store, only to discover that they do not have either. I used to tell customers to call ahead (which is bad, I know). Checking stock also requires going to the warehouse. The main floor warehouse is really big and the "associates" have to weave their way through customers. It's not that they're ignoring you, it's more they have to reach the warehouse, then go back to the waiting customer.

Also, do not buy a bike there. Small shops provide way more service and flexibility. Some products that get returned, can be restocked, it happened a lot in sporting goods.

Customers are generally okay to help. On the job, one would experience at least one a****** per day and that experience with that one a****** customer can permeate. Other than that though, I thought they were okay to deal with. The demoralization is perhaps due to just working there. When it gets demanding, pressure does set in, I remember I was quite energetic on my last day.
It's something I noticed a few years ago that CTC doesn't seem to have the 'secret sauce' that other big box retailers seem to have in terms of morale. I came to the conclusion that whereas home depot focuses a lot on positive morning meetings and "ra ra lets go change the world-with nails!" that CTC must be "you screwed this up...don't do it again". Even yesterday, I went to borrow a tool from the loan tools at the parts counter and when I was paying the deposit, the girl was going on about getting written up if its not done correctly in a conversation among the co-workers. I as a customer don't want to see that or hear it, you know?

The really funny thing, is when I first started in warehousing, my first customer I handled was CTC, and their upper management is the same way. When you dealt with the Wal-Mart people, they were very much "what can we learn from this" and they weren't mistakes, they were "opportunities" (all of which I found a little annoying. I've never been a drink the company kool-aid type person) but with the CTC people it was all a more negative interaction.

As you said, sometimes you are going through the store already helping a customer, and that happens at any store. At CTC, its annoying when others ask a question, and at Home Depot, the attitude is "I'll be right back, can you wait a sec, or can I call someone else over for you?"

It's a change in corporate culture.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #41
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Re: Canadian Tire service

What do you expect from a company that is trying to build its finance/credit business? There are more people hassling you to sign onto their credit card than customer service clerks.

Canadian Tire is a store that I try to get out of with my sale merchandise as quickly as I can.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #42
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Agreed, when I'm looking for staff to help with something, no one is around. However, when I'm not looking for anything in particular, I always get harassed by the credit card sign-up lady.

I hate crappy tire, but they do have pretty good deals on tools, when on sale. I find I go to the Richmond No 3 road location as most of their tools are not locked in showcases. I'm so glad they implemented self-check out.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #43
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

not stealing thread here or anything.
my question is.
can i get my master craft wrench exchange with out a recites at canadian tire?
pinoy.solsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #44
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy.solsi View Post
my question is.
is it broken?
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

I work in auto service but i have noticed this too, bad reviews plague ctc online and my own experience of purchasing tools has usually been a headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKayChow View Post
Don't they put items that in that pile of "clearance" items also? Visited the kingsway & victoria and cambie location and they both have clearance tables. Sometimes you find quite nice stuff on those tables
I'm only there once a week now but even when i was full time i had no idea about this 'clearance' table.. LOL what have i been missing out on

I also agree that ctc likes to hire immigrants. the wages are terrible and i've heard the training system is absolute bs (auto service there isnt any e-learning).

ps, i tihnk we've all been bothered by the credit card salespeople
Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #46
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
Any time I encounter one of those credit card girls/women, I tell them immediately that I have the card already. They walk away instantly. If the girl happens to be cute... chat her up
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #47
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,694 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy.solsi View Post
my question is.
This actually happened to me a few days ago.

Screwdriver from a mastercraft set fell out of its base, so i took the whole set, without receipt. Girl in red shirt at exchange gave me attitude about not having a receipt and to prove it that I bought it at Canadian Tire. I told her its MASTERCRAFT and that it's already been exchanged once under the lifetime warranty, and that I didn't have a receipt back then either.

She then called her manager (in a black shirt), and said that since I don't have the receipt I can only exchange it for the same item - which they were out of stock on. He said I could come back in a week or so and try again to see if they have more stock.

He did mention that if I had had my receipt I could trade up to a different set + cash for difference.

So, yes, they do. But you're going to have to get past the minimum wage lady.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #48
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
is it broken?
yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
This actually happened to me a few days ago.

Screwdriver from a mastercraft set fell out of its base, so i took the whole set, without receipt. Girl in red shirt at exchange gave me attitude about not having a receipt and to prove it that I bought it at Canadian Tire. I told her its MASTERCRAFT and that it's already been exchanged once under the lifetime warranty, and that I didn't have a receipt back then either.

She then called her manager (in a black shirt), and said that since I don't have the receipt I can only exchange it for the same item - which they were out of stock on. He said I could come back in a week or so and try again to see if they have more stock.

He did mention that if I had had my receipt I could trade up to a different set + cash for difference.

So, yes, they do. But you're going to have to get past the minimum wage lady.
okay thanks.
pinoy.solsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #49
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
I work in auto service but i have noticed this too, bad reviews plague ctc online and my own experience of purchasing tools has usually been a headache.

I'm only there once a week now but even when i was full time i had no idea about this 'clearance' table.. LOL what have i been missing out on

I also agree that ctc likes to hire immigrants. the wages are terrible and i've heard the training system is absolute bs (auto service there isnt any e-learning).

ps, i tihnk we've all been bothered by the credit card salespeople
yeah at the cambie, if you enter from the entrance on cambie, its at the far left of the store, the left of the tools section, theres a table and bins and bins of clearance items.

for the kingsway & victoria location, its infront of the paint's department and along the automotive, just bins and bins of clearance items lol
iKayChow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #50

thanks i actually work at the cambie location haha never knew about this