REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGuy View Post
So theres gonna be bikes parked at different locations for ppl to use when necessary? So what happens when it rains? Sit there and rust? What if the city loses money in the future cause of this project? What if vandalism occurs, who pays? Us?

For me, I tend to see more cyclists from May to maybe Sept, pending weather.
it rains a lot in london and snows a lot in montreal....if the system don't work there i'm sure they would not bring it here.
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Bike sharing faces problems in Montreal, controversy in New York | Better! Cities & Towns Online

"And Alta Bicycle Share, one of the two finalists vying to run the operation, has run into financial problems in Montreal. Government officials there eventually provided $108 million in financing to Alta’s partner, Public Bike System Company, in part to cover losses incurred by Bixi, the city’s bike-share program."

"Roger Plamondon, the board chairman of Public Bike System, said his company had the financial resources to come to New York, despite its issues in Montreal. In 2009, Bixi’s first year, the program lost $5.5 million; last year, it lost $7 million, Mr. Plamondon said."
Old 06-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #28
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
$108 million in financing to Alta’s partner, Public Bike System Company,

WHAT
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #29
RS controls my life!

Stupid ideas. I like our current bike rental system. Buy a bike from a hobo, ride it to your destination, then ditch it in a back alley for another person to snag. Also, what's to keep these bikes from being stolen or completely destroyed? What is the real point though? So I can bike from downtown to commercial when there's a god damn train that can take me there way faster? And most cyclists in this city stick to their own bicycles. Dumb idea is dumb. Hopefully it flops hardcore so the citizens can look mayor sexington in the eye and tell him that enough is enough. Get over this bicycle nonsense.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Bike sharing faces problems in Montreal, controversy in New York | Better! Cities & Towns Online

"And Alta Bicycle Share, one of the two finalists vying to run the operation, has run into financial problems in Montreal. Government officials there eventually provided $108 million in financing to Alta’s partner, Public Bike System Company, in part to cover losses incurred by Bixi, the city’s bike-share program."

"Roger Plamondon, the board chairman of Public Bike System, said his company had the financial resources to come to New York, despite its issues in Montreal. In 2009, Bixi’s first year, the program lost $5.5 million; last year, it lost $7 million, Mr. Plamondon said."
Bixi owes the City of Montreal $35 million from the original $37M loan it got when it first started. It will post it's first ever profit of $12M this year. Some of it's money comes from annual membership fees, but the majority of it is from sponsorship.

I think there are ~50,000 annual members.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #31
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

if they really think this shit is gonna work they should scrap aircare cuz they are gonna get SOOO MANY cars off the road with this brilliant idea!
MK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #32
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK-EK View Post
if they really think this shit is gonna work they should scrap aircare cuz they are gonna get SOOO MANY cars off the road with this brilliant idea!
air care is ending in 2014 lol
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #33
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I forsee all the dial a dope drug couriers getting a new set of wheels for $2....quite a bargain. Let's spend millions of tax dollars on another touchy-feely experiment as we try to social engineer our way to green nirvana. I wonder if the bikes are made in China at another toxic waste factory?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #34
Rs has made me the man i am today!

This will make cycling around Stanley park cheaper
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #35
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
There seemed to be lots of people using those bikes in Montreal while I was there.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
i cant help but have the face when reading..and after the article... ya...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #37
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
This will make cycling around Stanley park cheaper
that's gonna put those rental shops out of business lol
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #38
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,127 Posts
It's clear that very few people who have posted in this thread have actually used bike sharing programs in other cities.

Montreal's Bixi is actually a pretty useful system and its bikes are made in Quebec.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #39
HELP ME PLS!!!

It seems they're really trying to reduce the amount of cars on the road in Vancouver. Sitting in traffic really sucks especially in downtown. Using bikes could dramatically reduce congestion.

http://www.ways2gogreen.com/images/b...armuenster.jpg

Ways2GoGreen Blog | Guest Post: Going Green with Scooters
Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #40
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

^^People who ride bikes are generally the same people who use public transit. Since public transit runs on a fixed schedule, you won't really see much of a reduction in congestion. A reduction in ridership means more tax dollars and subsidies go toward supporting transit too. Reducing infrastructure by removing one lane of traffic will, however, dramatically increase congestion.

Combined with the ridiculous downtown parking charges, this will destroy small businesses, independent retailers and restaurants in the downtown core. You will start to see a shift toward businesses and chain retailers that belong to large public companies. This will change the culture of the city. No more cool, hip restaurants and more crappy TGIFs, Cactii Club, and Starbucks. Awful.

The fact that they have to offer subsidies to make this work, already tells me that this is a very, very bad idea. Who voted for this hippy mayor anyway? You can't blame him for not having vision, but nobody said the vision wouldn't turn to be a nightmare.

The sad part is that the previous road infrastructure was more than suitable to support the number of bike commuters.

Last edited by Marco911; 06-19-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #41
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Thinking about renting a bike just to sue when I crash because the bike was not properly maintained.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #42
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
It's clear that very few people who have posted in this thread have actually used bike sharing programs in other cities.

Montreal's Bixi is actually a pretty useful system and its bikes are made in Quebec.
Oh, no doubt. And if a private company wanted to take the risk, gather financing and install the system, I'd say go for it. Maybe they need a little help with some public areas to install the bikes, and Vancouver grants them use of some land to help them out. Fine.

BUT-that's not whats happening.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #43
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It will save you a whole heck a lot of work.. especially if they only still those bikes instead of citizens' own private ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I forsee all the dial a dope drug couriers getting a new set of wheels for $2....quite a bargain. Let's spend millions of tax dollars on another touchy-feely experiment as we try to social engineer our way to green nirvana. I wonder if the bikes are made in China at another toxic waste factory?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote