REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

insurance question! please help

So I backed into someone yesterday, and the damage isn't very much, but we exchanged information anyhow. We had agreed that it isn't necessary to claim through icbc, and I didn't want it to affect my insurance anyhow. But he had texted me and sort of threatened that I shouldn't claim it because it'd look poorly on my part. So I thought about it: he hadn't been able to produce a valid bc driver's license. All he had was his taiwanese drivers license, is it possible that he might have his license suspended and just shown me some old insurance papers that had a bc drivers license registered to it?

What would happen if he is actually suspended? Would his insurance be active although his driver's license is not? If we were to claim through icbc, what would happen?
Advertisement
Taxmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
RS controls my life!

Just make a claim for your own safety. You can always opt to pay for damage with cash if you dont want it to affect your insurance
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxmonkey View Post
So I backed into someone yesterday, and the damage isn't very much, but we exchanged information anyhow. We had agreed that it isn't necessary to claim through icbc, and I didn't want it to affect my insurance anyhow. But he had texted me and sort of threatened that I shouldn't claim it because it'd look poorly on my part. So I thought about it: he hadn't been able to produce a valid bc driver's license. All he had was his taiwanese drivers license, is it possible that he might have his license suspended and just shown me some old insurance papers that had a bc drivers license registered to it?

What would happen if he is actually suspended? Would his insurance be active although his driver's license is not? If we were to claim through icbc, what would happen?
He's hiding something, claim it.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

shady mother fucker, claim! if affects then opt for cash
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
on the safe side, make a claim file at icbc regardless to cover your own ass.

at least you have claimed it and not be suddenly accused of hit and run!

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

There's a possibility he hasn't translated his drivers license from Taiwan yet. However, just because he hasn't, doesn't mean he doesn't have insurance. He might not be making an empty threat, because you can still buy insurance without a valid BCDL.

In your own safety though, just claim it. I've heard people take cash under the table and still get claimed. You can't prove anything in courts, so save yourself the hassle and go through ICBC.

Like GGnoRE said, you can opt to pay it off after you claim it. If you choose to do so, do it before your insurance renewal.

Next time, ask to see his insurance papers.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #7

I have a picture of his insurance papers. And registered to it is a canadian driver's license #. I'll look into claiming it perhaps. Just didn't like the way he threatened me.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #8

I remember a Taiwanese DL is only valid in Canada for up to 6 months. After that, it is no longer valid unless they have it officially translated.

He might've been driving without a translated license past the 6 months mark... or just want to have it repaired before anyone in his family finds out (just a random guess)
Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #9

But if it turns out that he has a suspended BCDL, can one still operate his vehicle with a TWDL?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #10

If anyone has a suspended BCDL, they cannot be operating a car legally in BC.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #11

Ah, so if he is suspended, he's screwed. Icbc won't cover him even if he claims and it would be a whole lot more trouble for him correct?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
itd be kinda fun to screw him over on that... tell icbc he threatened you too!

send icbc a pic of his tw drivers licence he might be driving around in his relative insured car...

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #13

Well the insurance papers were registered to him. We'll find out today since I'm meeting him and we're gna talk it over.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Banned By Establishment

I would file a claim just to cover yourself
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Claim, even if you're at fault
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #16

So I met with him just now, the cost to fix his car wasn't too much. He said that when he bought the car he use his friends BCDL to insure the car under his name. Im not sure if I understand that all too well.. But I still feel like something is off about him.. Anyhow I'm gna try find out if he's suspended and whether he'd e able to claim it with icbc.

Never drive when you just wake up, sigh...
Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
YOU claim it with ICBC, who gives a fuck if he can claim it or not....it doesn't matter if his license is suspended...you will be covered, and your repairs will be covered(if you have collision insurance)

If you do not want this to raise your premiums then you can pay for the repairs yourself(through ICBC, NOT privately between you and him)

Also if you think just because he doesn't have a DL the entire fault will be put on him, you are wrong.

Also there is usually a limited time period where you are supposed to make the claim...time is running out and will only raise ICBC's suspicions
Quote:
An ICBC adjuster will assess fault based upon the information available. By law, every motorist in B.C. is required to report a crash to ICBC, but must be allowed a reasonable amount of time to do so. If, by the time you get to your claims appointment, the other motorist has not reported, your adjuster will contact by telephone or by sending a letter.

After two weeks, we will send a second, certified letter, asking the other motorist to report within the next 10 days. We will advise that if the motorist fails to do so, we will assess fault based on the information we have.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Ah, so if he is suspended, he's screwed. Icbc won't cover him even if he claims and it would be a whole lot more trouble for him correct?
Vague memory from my BC Auto insurance course.

Insured does not need to have a valid DL. The insured, including the TW person in this case, would only need to display that he is able to drive.

The normal process for you is to claim through ICBC. Your ICBC rates will only be affected if the other party claims, and ICBC finds that you are at fault.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
You can go through ICBC and still pay it off, if you pay it off your rates won't get affected. This way ICBC will even go to the shop that the other party's car is being repaired at and look at the damage to assure that the other party doesn't scam you into paying more for a repair that costs less.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
CLAIM it... if hes insisting not to do it, somethins is wrong... GO through ICBC and tell them You will pay it in full if you dont want if it affect your insurance
Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #21

Alrights, I'll look into claiming it tonight.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:

He could be using an expired international license.
heero78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #23
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Maybe he's worried you'll change your story and say that he rear ended you, so he ends up 100% fault?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #24
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
file claim - unless the other person makes a claim against you, you will not see any increases
Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #25
I am Hook'd on RS

who cares if the guy even has a license or not. YOU BACKED into him! You are at fault LOL! The only thing that matters is you are going to pay either through ICBC or not.
highres604 is offline   Reply With Quote